Science and technology

Facebook, your parents and you

28
Sophie Newnham

Facebook. It doesn’t matter where you are in the world; you always seem to be within reach of it. With new technology meaning your exact location can be pinpointed and published online in seconds; how do you feel about your every movement being made visible for the world (and possibly your parents) to see?

With InterRailing and general globetrotting becoming a student’s rite of passage, we all seem to know someone who is mountain climbing in Tanzania or relaxing on a beach in Thailand. And how do we know this? Well, apart from some pre-trip bragging, you and everyone else on Facebook can flick through the photos and be alerted to the changes in location as your friends travel the world.

So, is this a good thing? After all everyone loves to see what their friends are getting up to, even if it does make us jealous! Furthermore it’s great to know our friends are safe on their travels; this means of communication has allowed parents everywhere to breathe a sigh of relief when that all-important status change indicates an eagerly awaited arrival.

Yet there lies The Big Problem: it is now within your parents’ power to know everything about your social life. Who you’re friends with, where you’re going, where you’ve been, who you were with… Maybe you don’t want your parents to know absolutely everything that you did on that weekend camping trip to Cornwall!

Parents have caught up with this internet sensation, and are making up for lost time too. How many of you have received friend requests from mum, dad, aunties and uncles? Accepting means the shroud of mystery surrounding your social life is lifted. Rejecting opens up a Pandora’s Box-full of awkward questions as to why you don’t want to publicly befriend your mum or dad.

You may want your friends to see photos of that rather attractive coastguard or how much fast-food you were able to consume over a weekend, but how cool is a comment from mum asking where the vegetables are in your third Big Mac meal? Or a ‘like’ from an auntie who appreciates a photo of the rather attractive waiter?

Security settings are key to ensuring your every movement isn’t broadcasted to the world and his wife. You can choose who sees your photos and your profile to avoid those awkward conversations with your parents. When was the last time you checked your settings? Because as much as you think you want everyone to know where you are and what you’re doing all the time while you travel abroad; where your parents are concerned, perhaps you don’t need to reveal every single detail.

Are you friends on Facebook with your parents?

How do your parents stay in touch with you?

iva10 16 June, 2015 - 10:31

I don't have Facebook, but my father has. But if I had Facebook my parents whoud be my friends.

Looneytribute0002's picture
Looneytribute0002 2 June, 2015 - 17:41

My parents are on Facebook but I am not. I don't really bother much about the fact that I down own a Facebook page though. Facebook seems rather boring to me. I love Tumblr and spend a lot of time on my Tumblr blog tbh. I use Google plus as well.

bikers's picture
bikers 10 January, 2014 - 10:51

I have my parents on fb as friends.I think that having parents on fb is a bit as a safe because before posting something you think more about it so you don't fool with them.

Venaria's picture
Venaria 7 January, 2014 - 16:02

My parents don't have facebook, but my aunt has it. It's indifferent for me to receive a 'like' from her, but she mustn't be intrusive with comments.

Herbs's picture
Herbs 7 August, 2013 - 13:21

My mom always checks my facebook while I'm at school. I don't like it at all but I can't stop her. :(

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 23 June, 2013 - 09:18

mmm actually my mum have a fc account ... and i don't have any problem about that .. i can deal with my mum about the time i can use facebook .. i don't have any problem about that

Eva-T's picture
Eva-T 21 March, 2013 - 15:38

My parents don't have a Facebook account. But they always, I mean my mum, checks my activity from my facebook! I think this is good because in these way they are able to understand if I am in trouble!

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 12 March, 2013 - 20:53

NOBODY IN FAMILY HAS A FB ACCOUNT. AT FIRST I WAS ABIT BORED, BUT NOW I DON'T MIND THAT MY PARENTS DON'T ALLOW ME TO CREATE A FB ACCOUNT

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 9 March, 2013 - 13:10

My parents have not a addres on facebook but i think that everythink its alright on me.....

Konstantina's picture
Konstantina 5 March, 2013 - 17:13

My parents are not on Facebook :/.But we communicate with each other with a nice way like we talk about my problems,we play games,we listen music.We have a nice atmosfere.

sam786's picture
sam786 12 February, 2013 - 19:28

My parents are my friend on Facebook but that doesn't mean that i am always in trouble because i don't use Facebook much and my privacy is high so my location are not published automatically. I don't communicate with my parents via internet because they can meet me at home and i can talk with them Face-to-Face so in this way we don't have any misunderstanding and every thing is cleared to me and my parents.

Jessie Jess's picture
Jessie Jess 4 February, 2013 - 18:33

Well, i have a fb account, while my parents hate to open a facebook account, and i am fine :P :)

Jerry's picture
Jerry 4 February, 2013 - 15:34

My parents are not on Facebook and I don't miss them. We communicate with each other the good old fashioned way: we talk, argue, listen to each other and use gestures. We do it face to face. And it works.