Science and technology

Three free language apps!

AmandaBlogger2017

Technology can really enhance your language learning. Here are three free apps you can try!

1. Google Translate

This is a very useful app. When you open it, you will notice that there is a camera icon at the bottom. This allows you to translate menus, signs and guides that you may come across when exploring in a foreign country.

2. Duolingo

I used this app whilst at university to practise my French whilst travelling. All you have to do is select your mother tongue, the language you want to learn (*cough* English) then, lastly, you decide how much time you want to spend practising each day (between 5 and 20 minutes). This is a good way to practise your reading and listening whenever you have a free moment and you can also do some speaking exercises.

3. LearnEnglish Podcasts app

This is a good app for getting in some listening and reading practice simultaneously. Each episode is filled with information on everyday topics which can help you to widen your vocabulary and also help you to get used to the different sounds within different words.

Are there any other apps that you find useful for learning languages?

Sherry4869's picture
Sherry4869 9 August, 2020 - 07:57

A request for a free app to learn English team::: I think that Learn English teens British council is the best site for learning English. There are lots of articles, games, topics, activities, videoes, games, exercises, etc. These are so helpful to learn English. This website works great on computers or PC. But don't work great on the mobile phone. Some activities, videoes and games are blocked and we are unable to do them on mobile phones. Although computers and the internet are not available on any time. So, I think it will be better if there is a free app for learn English teens like this website. In this way, we can watch videoes, do activities, play games, read the article on mobile phones nicely and we can also do it offline by downloading it.

Thank you!!!!
Sherry4869

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 11 August, 2020 - 09:19

Hi Sherry4869,

Thank you for your suggestions about having an app for teenagers to learn English. I will pass your suggestions on to our app team. In the meantime do take a look at our other apps as you may find them useful. You can find them here: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/apps.

Best wishes,
Tina (LearnEnglish Teens team)

Sherry4869's picture
Sherry4869 8 August, 2020 - 16:21

Yes. I often use Mondly for learn English. But I think duo lingo is better than Mondly. And British Council is the best site for learning English.

nurypelaez60's picture
nurypelaez60 5 February, 2020 - 18:46

this information is very important because it helps people who need it and apart from these we can learn and improve our weaknesses against external languages