Sport

Animals in sport and entertainment

20
Rebecca Farnham-Shaw

Animals today are still a huge part of the sport and entertainment industries. Cultural traditions such as fox hunting and bull fighting, as well as horse and dog racing in the sporting world, not to mention animals performing tricks at circuses, are all examples of how we take advantage of animals simply for our own entertainment.

Opinion has always been divided about the way we treat and use animals for food or to test products but their involvement within our entertainment industry seems to have been overlooked.

Let’s think about bullfighting, the Spanish tradition between one bull and one man. It has been a popular sport in Spain for many years and is considered a normal activity just like going to watch a football match. In Spanish culture it is a symbolic and respected event. On the other hand, some people believe the way the bull is treated is distressing for the animal. The matador, the man who fights with the bull, will taunt and eventually kill the animal. Is this an acceptable form of sporting entertainment?

Have you ever watched a horse or dog race before? In the UK, these races are extremely popular and many people will bet money on a particular animal to win the race. It’s exciting to attend one of these races and feel the adrenaline rush through your body as you watch the animal you’ve put money on run as fast as it can. Is it fair though that we subject these animals to these conditions? Some people think that using animals in sports should be banned as unlike humans, animals can’t choose if they want to take part or not. Not to mention the risks of injury, especially in a sport like horse racing, where the horses fall over when trying to jump a hurdle.

Animals have been performing in circuses for years and although it is banned in the UK for animals to be in a circus, others areas of the world still use wild animals like lions, tigers and bears as entertainment. The main reason animal circuses were banned in the UK was the terrible conditions these animals were kept in, as well as the methods to teach these animals how to perform tricks, which included electrical shocks and food deprivation. However, some people believe that if better laws were put in place to ensure the correct treatment of these animals, then the circus could be a place to embrace animals and show children the positive relationship between humans and animals.

The sporting and entertainment world still involves animals within its industries but do you think that using animals as a form of entertainment is acceptable today or perhaps improved laws should be put in place to ensure enjoyment for both humans and animals?

Do you think animals should be used for sports and entertainment?

inasko's picture
inasko 20 September, 2015 - 09:13

We shouldn't use animals for entertainment or sports because animals can feel, fear, and pain like us.
So, we have keep animals live their own lives in the nature and don't use it for play and dance for us.

MALINE 3 November, 2013 - 17:19

I dont´t think improving the law will put at end at this situation people always find their way to brake the law and the law doesn´t have the resources to keep track on criminals,I think the best option is to banned all those sports that involves animals. Would you like to be treated that way?

hongphuc_916's picture
hongphuc_916 5 June, 2013 - 10:30

I love animals, so I think we should improve our law. Both we and other animals else are products of the nature so animals need to be treated fairly too! That's my thought!

Natalija 16 April, 2013 - 12:59

I think it's really cruel to behave in that way and to force animals to play some sport. Just imagine how would we feel if we were in the same situation-if animals would force us to do something that's too difficult for ourselves. I think that animals are our friends, and who would act in that way with friends? I'm sad to see animals dancing, playing any sports, or something like that, because animals weren't born to do such things, but to live freely in the nature. That's one of the reasons I don't like cirque. When I was little, it seemed to be interesting and even funny, but later, when I grow up, I realized that animals should have a freedom to do whatever they want and we shouldn't prevent them.

IreBopp's picture
IreBopp 4 April, 2013 - 18:55

For me depends from the way animals are treated. When they're treated good I think a sport it's a very funny activity for them! :D

Red's picture
Red 26 January, 2013 - 08:52

Let’s think about bullfighting, the Spanish tradition between one bull and one man. It has been a popular sport in Spain for many years and is considered a normal activity just like going to watch a football match. In Spanish culture it is a symbolic and respected event.

DogLover's picture
DogLover 21 December, 2012 - 16:30

Yeah,i think that animals should be used for sports and entertainment but only if people and of couse animals enjoy in it, because i really don't want to watch something that can do wrong stuff to animals.