Sport

Barcelona Football Club: End of an era, or the beginning of the road to redemption?

97
James Coop

They have surrendered the league title. They are out of the Champions League. The manager has announced his resignation. Crisis? Or just a minor blip in the Barcelona juggernaut, that has steam rollered European football in the last four seasons? Barcelona's recent losses, to Chelsea in the Champions League, and Real Madrid in the Spanish league have had many questioning whether their reign as kings of football is over. Pep Guardiola's subsequent statement that he will resign at the end of the season did little to quell these debates, but is it the end of an era, or the beginning of a road to redemption for Barcelona?

It would be a mistake to say Barcelona's season has been a failure. They have still won the European Super Cup, the World Club Cup, the Spanish Super Cup, and are hot favourites to win the Copa Del Rey. Most sides would be delighted with a season in which they won four trophies. But this Barcelona side has set such a high bar to be judged by, winning thirteen trophies in the past four seasons, including a peak in 2008-2009, where they won every competition they entered.

Guardiola's reign at the Nou Camp has been marked by some of the greatest footballing displays the world has ever seen. Lionel Messi has gone from being a precociously talented prospect, to being the best player in the world, and arguably the greatest of all time. The likes of Xavi Hernandez and Andreas Iniesta are recognised as being some of the finest midfielders of their generation. Compliments have been pouring in, only for many to quickly retract them on the back of the end of this season. Although the mantra of 'you are never as good as they say you are when you win, and never as bad as they say you are when you lose' holds true, the manner of their defeats will have raised questions even within the Nou Camp itself.

Guardiola's resignation at the end of the season may be seen by many as an acceptance of defeat. Even if this is the case, (something I highly doubt), this does not necessarily mean the end for Barcelona's dominance. The key players are all still there. In Tito Villanova, they have a new coach who understands the players and the philosophy which Guardiola has instilled in them. The pain of losing the title to arch rivals Real Madrid and Jose Mourinho will burn within the hearts of their loyal servants, as will being defeated by another old enemy, Chelsea in the Champions League. These losses will sting, and players such as Victor Valdes, and Carlos Puyol will be desperate to avenge them.

This, coupled with the wealth of talent coming through the youth set up, courtesy of La Masia ensure that the future still looks bright for Barcelona. The likes of Montoya, Muniesa and Jonathan Dos Santos are all regarded as hot prospects for years to come, whereas Tello, Cuenca and Thiago Alcantara have all been given first team opportunities this season, with their involvement likely to increase next season in a bid to combat the exhaustion suffered by many of their players, due to the hectic nature of the season and their international commitments. In any case, this mix of youth and experience mean that they will certainly be in the hunt for glory next season.

What football team do you support? If you're a footie fan you may want to check out our Premier Skills English website.

sona's picture
sona 25 October, 2015 - 13:53

I loved Barcelona since I was 5 years old,I still love Barcelona and I will love it forever. In fact, it was my dad who instilled his love to me when I was younger,so I am so grateful to him,because without my dad ,I think my life would be boring. I love Messi,Neymar,Suarez,Iniesta,Xavi,Rakitic,Busquets, Pique,Bartra,Mascherano. They aren't just orinary players,but they are my idols. My dream is to meet all the players of Barcelona and i would even give my life to make a picure with them.

egp2eamp's picture
egp2eamp 19 May, 2014 - 12:29

Barcelona very excelent team. In my opinion: Neymar it's very fantastic football player.
My favorite footballer is C.Ronaldo.

Jay07's picture
Jay07 27 January, 2014 - 17:47

Real madrid is best for me. I am a great fan of Cristiano Ronaldo. I watch every game of real madrid in which Cr7 is playing. .I don't like barca..iniesta and xavi are greatest player of barca

Eljan's picture
Eljan 27 January, 2014 - 14:24

My favourite club is Galatasaray. Galatasaray is Turkey club. But I'm from Azerbaijan. Come on Galatasaray!

RAGSANA99's picture
RAGSANA99 22 January, 2014 - 15:07

My favorite team is BARCELONA and it is a great club.MESSI is suuuuuuuuuuper footballer***********.

Samir13's picture
Samir13 15 December, 2013 - 08:42

FC Barcelona the most powerful club in the world. Barcelona's Lionel Messi is the best player in the world's most powerful footballer. I'm from Barcelona and Messi fan. FC Barcelona and LEO Messi

ellen's picture
ellen 17 July, 2013 - 10:12

Hello SARAH K
How are you my friend?
I came back from holiday.
Can write letters again?
Best wishes.....Ellen

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 13 June, 2013 - 08:30

ellen..hi again my riend...what does this sentence mean* just a little bit of you fall out* cuz i don't get it...hope you explain it to me ...love stela

ellen's picture
ellen 12 June, 2013 - 17:51

No......................I am not angry you...................
you understad me?
Stela.M
Just a little bit of you fall out.
But now it's good.

Stela.M's picture
Stela.M 11 June, 2013 - 15:14

hi ellen..i am not the policewomen here but i think you should be more careful not to repeat your qusetions,sailor moon has already answered them .....and is a real bother to answer them again ..... hope you didn't get angry....greetings from albania

ellen's picture
ellen 3 June, 2013 - 18:21

Hello sailor moon
How are you?
yes, Azerbaijan it is very country.
What will you do in summer holiday?
Do you like to travel?
Do you prefer to work indoors?
Do you like talking to people?
Do you prefer to work alone?
your Azerbaijanian friend Ellen

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 8 June, 2013 - 20:25

hi ellen
i`m fine thank you so much
please, look at my answers.
i answered once these questions.
Am i right?

4everyoung's picture
4everyoung 28 May, 2013 - 18:58

I love Barcelona and Lionel Messi.He is the best player in the world and he's very handsome!! I hate Real Madrid especially Christiano Ronaldo.

lami narita's picture
lami narita 29 May, 2013 - 21:07

slt 4everyoung i agree with u i'm also a big lover of f.c.b and messi too but i love xavi more and i hhhhhhaaaaaaaate real madrid specially c.ronaldo i don't like him at all thx

Free4ever's picture
Free4ever 28 May, 2013 - 18:55

My friend and I love Barcelona and I'm a crazy fan of it . I love Lionel Messi .He's the best player and Barca is the best team in the world.^_^

ellen's picture
ellen 24 May, 2013 - 17:23

Hello sailor moon
How are you?
I have got one brother. i don`t have any sister.
my favourite singers are Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Rihanna and s.on
Yes, I like you profile photo.
Azerbaijan education system is like Italy . However, there are a number of amendments.
1.Go to kindergarten until the age of 5-6.
2.Primary school until the age of 6-10.
3.Secondary education lasts until the age of 10-17 years. The curriculum includes the Azerbaijanian language and literature, a foreign language, algebra, biology, chemistry, geography, geometry, history, physics, music, art and physical education.
4.If students do not go on to upper secondary school, then they may opt to study further at own expense at a vocational secondary school. Programs take up to 4 years to complete.
I have so much on the education system. Ask why you are interested.
I like animals very much.
I have got one cat and dog.
My cat name is Hust.
My dog name Is Jimi
Have you got any animals?
What profession do you want to have in the future?
Do you like to travel?
Do you prefer to work indoors?
Do you like talking to people?
Do you prefer to work alone?

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 30 May, 2013 - 17:36

hi ellen.
i don`t have any animal in my home but i`d like to have one.
In my future i wanna be an engineer.
i love to trvel especially with my family by car.
i like meeting new people and talk to them
i don`t like to work alone. i never work alone.
my older sister always helps me.
i have seen some photo of Azerbaijan and i wanna
say that it`s a wonderful state.I`d like to like there.

ellen's picture
ellen 3 June, 2013 - 18:21

Hello sailor moon
How are you?
yes, Azerbaijan it is very country.
What will you do in summer holiday?
Do you like to travel?
Do you prefer to work indoors?
Do you like talking to people?
Do you prefer to work alone?
your Azerbaijanian friend Ellen

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 5 June, 2013 - 13:10

hi ellen
nice to talk with you again
my holiday i`m going to spend with my family on the beach.
i love to travel, especially with our car.i hate to work indoors.
talking to new people? yeah, i liketalking to new people.
i prefer to work in pairs, and never alone but if i am angry i`d
prefer to work with myself. what about you?
Do you like to meet new people?
Do you like Italy? Have you heard about Colosseo?Are you a good pupil at school? best wishes, sailor moon

ellen's picture
ellen 8 June, 2013 - 16:43

Hello sailor moon
How are you?
Yes, I like very talk many people.
yes, I like meet new people and I want to make friends quickly.
How it is?
Yes, I like Italy but , I haven"t been to Italy.
But, I am sue been to Italy.
And you?
Do you like Azerbaijan?
Which is Italy have got historical places?( I know some places!)
No, I haven"t heard Colosseo.
Please, tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes, My school good pupils.Maybe, I am one of them.
And you?
Are you good student?
What is your hobby? How many hours a week you can pass the English language? Have you got sister and brother? Which you singers like?
You are dark hair or blonde hair ? You are tall, or undersized? Have you got some animal?
Please answer.......................................................................... -
Truly your friend Ellen

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 10 June, 2013 - 09:04

nice to talk to you again elen!
i`m fine thanks! yes i am a good pupil at school.I like Azerbaijan. it`s beautiful. i`ve never been there. My hobby is to read books. at school i have english lessons twice a week. I have two sisters but i haven`t any brother.my favourite singers are justin bieber, selena gomez, one direction ecc.i have light brown hair and i `m too tall for my age. i haven`t any animal in my home but i`d like to have two gold fish. they are so cute. please write me about your character, your hobbies, your friends ( are they so friendly? ), your free time ecc. your friend sailor moon

ellen's picture
ellen 10 June, 2013 - 17:13

Hello again and again my friend sailor moon.(The new picture is beautiful by the way.)
Do you like my photo?
My hobby are drawing picture, by the internet information.
my character everything say it is very nice.
I am soft character.And you?
yes, I have got a lot of friend.
I have got different countries and different friend
Of course, I am so Friendly.
Do you like Bridgit mendler?
Do you like her music ~Hurricane ~and ~Ready or not~?
Do you go to Wedding my friend?
Which historical buildings, castles visible?
Do you like circus?
Truly your friend Ellen.

spongebob's picture
spongebob 11 June, 2013 - 09:45

hello ellen! yes i like very much your photo. me too!mycharacter is soft and i have too many friends from different countries. i don`t like very much Bridgit mendler and i don`t listen or watch very much her music. yes i love going to wedding. is very fun. i`ve gone to one once. in my country, Italy, are too many historical buildings like: Pantheon (Roma), Castello Miramare (Trieste), Tempio della Concordia (Agrigento), Castello Sforzesco (Milano), Mole Antonelliana (Torino), Trulli (Puglia) ecc. I like goingto circus but i have never been to one. Anyway i`d like to go to one. What about you? Tell me please about your country! Where do you like in Azerbaijan? Are you happy with your place where you live? Do you like going for running? Do you watch more TV or read more books? sailor moon

ellen's picture
ellen 12 June, 2013 - 17:48

hello spongebob or sailor moon
you are English or Italy?
I don"t understand.
please write.
yes, I like watching TV less
i hapy because I am AZERBAIJANIAN.
Truly your friends Ellen

ellen's picture
ellen 13 June, 2013 - 17:35

Hello my friend
Azerbaijan has got many palaces.
For example "gobustan", ~Maidan Tower~, and s. on.
Do you know Maiden Tower?
1.The Maidens Tower
The Maidens Tower is the symbol of Baku. The 32-meter Maidens Tower is one of the beautiful and mysterious archtectural monuments on The Absheron Peninsula. It has Eight floors. The walls are 4-5 meters thick. You can enjoy wonderful view of Baku from here.There the a lot of the tower you can see the inner city within the fortress walls.
How it is your hairstyle?
Have you got any habits?
Truly your friends Ellen

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 13 June, 2013 - 09:09

Hi Ellen,
I have removed a lot of the text from your comment because it is copied. PLEASE DO NOT COPY AND PASTE from other websites or from other comments. This breaks our House Rules. If you continue to break the house rules we will have to remove you from the website. If you want to contact me directly, please use the Contact Us button at the bottom of the website and you can send me a direct message. OK?
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

ellen's picture
ellen 19 May, 2013 - 17:41

Hello sailor moon
Not problem
sailor moon İ am from Azerbaijan
My favorite team is Khazar Lankaran
İt is very nice team.
What is your hobby?
How many hours a week you can pass the English language?
Have you got sister and brother? Which you singers like?
You are dark hair or blonde hair ?
You are tall, or undersized?
Have you got some animal?

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 20 May, 2013 - 21:10

hi ellen
my hobby is to read books if i have free time.The most of time i spend
with my little sister. i have also an older sister. i don`t have any brother.
in my class i have english lessons twice a week. my favourite singers
are justin bieber and selena gomez. and enrique iglesias is not bad.
i have light brown hair and i am too tall for my age. i`d love to have a
fish in my room but i haven`t.
what about you? Are you like the girl in your profile photo?
How is the school in your country? Are the lessons easy?
Do you like animals?

ellen's picture
ellen 17 May, 2013 - 18:01

Hello sailor moon
My favorite team is ~Barcelona~
I am 15.
Where are you from?
What English songs do you like? And movies?
What is your name sailor moon
if it isn't secret
Please answer.....)))))

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 18 May, 2013 - 21:08

hello ellen
i`m happy we like the same team
i`m from italia, roma. my favourite singer is
justin bieber and i love his songs.i like movies like
~step up revolution~ i can`t say my name.
please, i`m so sorry. what about you???

JOHINATORN2000's picture
JOHINATORN2000 16 May, 2013 - 13:57

I think that it´s time to do some changes for Barcelona, buy some young and fresh players and sell some older players like Villa, Valdes and also players like Alexis. When Alexis came to Barca he was a player with big confidence and he liked to dribble but now he has very low confidence and he just pass the ball directly when he get the ball

AlexSemyonov's picture
AlexSemyonov 13 May, 2013 - 15:11

I'm a great fan of Barcelona,so I can definitely affirm that this season was just a minor blip in their juggernaut.The last Barcelona's coach Pep Guardiola achieved great results with this team.However,ht did so because there were not so many important injured players.This season was very difficult because of them.The main defender,moreover the captain Carles Puyol didn't play amost all the season.Team's spirit was injured too.Later,another one defender Javier Mascherano was injured by his partner Jordi Alba.What about their trophies,they won only La Liga.But it is very honourable too.In Champions League they coudn't fight against such great teams like Bavaria Munich,because this "german car" destroys everyone.Finally,there are thousands fans of Barcelona fround the world who support them till the end.I am sure that Barcelona will certainly be in the hunt fo glory next season with the best players in the world like Xavi Hernandez,Andreas Iniesta and "the footbal god" Lionel Messi of course.VIVA BARCA!