Sport

The Beautiful Game

19
SteveM

I have played football all my life and could happily sit here and type pages and pages about the reasons why it really is ‘the beautiful game’. Today though, I just want to tell you about some of the opportunities playing a sport or just having a hobby that you are passionate about can really help you, especially in a different country.

I have lived in Vienna for 2 years now and through football have met some wonderful people and had some great times. The two main teams here are Rapid Vienna and Austria Vienna (why they are called Austria Vienna I don’t know, it’s like calling a team Italy Rome or Spain Madrid, weird). The whole city seems to be divided between the two teams so when I meet new people here they often ask me, ‘are you green (Rapid) or purple (Austria)?’ This makes the games between the two teams, the Vienna Derbies, very special. Hopefully I get to go to one this year.

There are lots more sides to football than just sitting and watching though of course! I have played lots with friends I have met in Vienna and I don’t have a regular team yet but hope to change that in the next month! I also coach football here which is fantastic. I have to do everything in German (try shouting orders at kids in German for an hour!) and getting to see how my time and effort makes children as young as 4-5 have a great time is the best part of the job. The parents are also always friendly and eager to see where my accent is from and what I’m doing in Vienna!

So football, the thing I have been doing since I was 4 with my Dad is the thing that helps me get out and meet new people in a great world city. No matter what your hobby is, go out and do it! You’ll be surprised where it can take you. 

Are you a football fan? Do you like watching or playing the game most? 

hadia 26 June, 2016 - 17:19

I won't say that I'm a football fan but I like watching it....! In our school, it was the most played games among the boys...So yeah, we had to watch it. Then, I understood the game rightly. Now, whenever I watch it on TV....it seems interesting :D

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 23 January, 2014 - 20:45

My favorite club is Chelsea. Before, I loved Barcelona. But in 2011 or 2012 (I don't know), I watched the game Chelsea vs Napoli, and after that day I started to love my club till I die. Chelsea is pride of London. I don't play football very often, sometimes really. I rather love gym and dance.

Eljan's picture
Eljan 19 January, 2014 - 15:52

My favourite club is Galatasaray. Galatasaray is Turkey club. But I'm from Azerbaijan. Come on Galatasaray!

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 9 November, 2013 - 14:19

Hi pinkkkkkkk! Thanks for your comment. In the future, please don't write only in capitals. It looks like you are shouting. Thank you!

Best wishes,

Joanna

(LearnEnglish Teens team)

mickoviciqwe's picture
mickoviciqwe 5 November, 2013 - 18:56

Why is football always a topic >.< doh! i actually never liked football and most of the time i play it (at PE) i am goal keeper ^^ when i think twice i am good at that ... actually whenever the need a good goal keeper they call me :D

i still dont like football as much as basketball

WildChild's picture
WildChild 5 November, 2013 - 14:49

I'm not a fan, but I play football in my school and I'm really good at it. Sometimes I watch football, but that's only in case if I'm bored.

MALINE 27 October, 2013 - 18:56

I don´t like football but most of Mexican men do ,so you have to know at least the name of the teams.

justcricketforme 20 October, 2013 - 11:43

I am a football fan but I like cricket more. I suppoort Manchester United and FC Barcelona. I like Messi and Ronaldo and I also like Beckham.

Lejdi's picture
Lejdi 10 October, 2013 - 14:47

Yes, I am a football fan. I support AC Milan. But most of the time I don't play football. I play basketball. On weekends I watch football matches with my dad. He supports FC Juventus. These two teams plays in the same league. Last match they played together ,FC Juventus beat AC Milan.