Sport

The cycling capital of Spain

42
JohnM

Cycling was a big part of my childhood. I cycled all the time; alone, or with friends, it was always a great pastime. I remember my very first bike – I got it for my birthday, it was blue and white, and it had stabilisers – and I remember learning how to ride on that bike. I loved it. But as I got older, for some reason, I used my bike less and less until it was eventually put at the back of the garage. 

But I became a cyclist again when I moved to Seville, Spain – when I discovered Sevici. 

Sevici is a public hiring service that began in Seville in 2007. When you join Sevici, you immediately gain access to over 2500 bikes that are available from the 250 parking stations throughout the city. For just €11 a week, or €27.50 a year, you can hire a bike as much as you want and at any time; and it’s free for the first 30 minutes of use with each subsequent half-hour costing just €1. Sevici is available to both residents and visitors of the city. 

The Sevici bikes are red and silver. They're easy to use and have features of a typical bicycle, such as an adjustable seat, safety lights and a bell. They also have a large basket for shopping. 

Before 2007, cycling wasn’t common in Seville: There was no cycling infrastructure and cars dominated the roads. It was unimaginable for someone to ride a bike to work or to school; in general, cycling was for experienced athletes or for people too poor to own a car. Cycling wasn’t part of the city’s culture.

But five years ago, the city constructed a complete cycling system, including Sevici and around 120km of cycle lanes. Sevici encouraged people to leave their cars at home and cycle more, especially for short journeys – and with the new cycle lanes, it became an easy, safe and convenient way to travel. And a popular way to travel too; so popular, in fact, that cycling in Seville has grown from being almost non-existent to an important part of daily life.

Seville is completely transformed. Thanks to Sevici, traffic congestion and pollution are declining, and there are fewer cars in the historic part of the city; people are more interested in exercise and in the environment. Seville already has a popular running and rollerblading community, but now there’s a healthy cycling community too.

Cycling was a big part of my experience abroad. I was a daily user of Sevici and I loved it. It was great for travelling the city and for getting to work quickly. For me, Sevici was an affordable service, it was practical, easy to use and the bikes were very comfortable. I would really recommend it. 

And now that I've returned to Scotland, I don't want to give cycling up. I miss it. And maybe when it's sunny, it'll be as if I'm still in Seville – the cycling capital of Spain.

Can you rent bicycles in your town? How often do you ride a bike?

I like to ride bicycle very much and usually ride it in my home because it's very big and have a track for riding so i usually ride it in home. But I have my own bicycle and surely it helps us to keep healthier and I've no experience of renting a bicycle

Pitaloka's picture
Pitaloka 19 August, 2013 - 04:47

In Samarinda there's no bicycles rent. I didn't ride my bike again after I graduate Junior High School 3 years ago :(

Mathew's picture
Mathew 13 July, 2013 - 08:51

Very interesting blog about the cycle. In the childhood many child like to ride the cycle, when anybody start the cycling its not easy to learn, it will take some time to ride better. There are variety type of cycles available in the market for the children with designs and colors.

Mali's picture
Mali 13 May, 2013 - 13:48

Hello everybody!
I often see renting a bike, although my town is very small. Today I saw renting bicycles. They were white and very low .. (In my opinion, they are not very comfortable). So I'll answer: "definetly yes."
I like to ride a bike. When you are riding a bike, you feel free and forget about the problems, don't you? But, unfortunately, our climate doesn't allow to ride a bike all year. I only ride in the summer in leisure time.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 13 May, 2013 - 21:34

Hi, Mali - thanks for sharing!
I agree, you do feel free when you're riding a bike.
Where are you from?
John

MALINE 11 May, 2013 - 22:36

Yes,there are specials stations where you can rent bikes for a set tax and you need to get a card and you slide the card into a machine when you pick up a bike and when you leave it but ther´s a special road for the bikes you can´t go wherever you want.
I love riding it´s an awesome sport.

Natalija 22 April, 2013 - 15:15

Cycling isn't very popular in Serbia, people usually go by bus or by car, but cycling is healthier. We have some places where we can rent a bike, and Ada Ciganlija is the most popular for cycling. I'm shamed, but I can't ride a bike:(.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 23 April, 2013 - 00:28

I agree - cycling is healthier than taking the car or bus.
Thanks for sharing :) There's always time to learn!

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 8 March, 2013 - 14:35

I can ride a bike.... In summer vacation I ride all day at my house with my cousin

ulker quluzade's picture
ulker quluzade 21 February, 2013 - 13:41

cycling is very good sport for our healthy.I like cycling very much.I go for a walk with my bycycle in summer.

Ilda G's picture
Ilda G 26 January, 2013 - 18:02

Cycling was a big part of my childhood too...
But I have time that I haven't cycled...
Cycling is not popular at the place where I live even it is a perfect way to protect our environment

bingogo's picture
bingogo 12 November, 2012 - 17:08

Cycling is not so popular in Serbia, but I have my bike which is yellow and red. I can cycle in the summer in a city center.

Sizar Torres's picture
Sizar Torres 31 August, 2012 - 11:59

Hi Peachtree
I was very glad to read your comment..well , you know! spain is my dream, I love everything in Spain, Spain football team, spain basketball team, madrid, spain players, every thing!
It is really one of my biggest dreams to visit spain
thanks a lot again..thanks

peachtree's picture
peachtree 29 August, 2012 - 22:04

hi sizar!! I'm spanish, and it's great that you want to come here :) I'm sure that spai will like you
you are welcome!!
cycling here is very popular, in my town there are a lots of clubs that go together cycling, it's a very healthy sport and also very funny! :)

Sizar Torres's picture
Sizar Torres 28 August, 2012 - 10:34

Hi John..
Thank you very much, and make sure that if I had the chance to visit Seville ,I would definitely go and with out thinking..You're welcome.

Sizar Alonso's picture
Sizar Alonso 26 August, 2012 - 12:28

Actually I was really interested in reading, I have always wanted to visit Spain but now I love Spain more and I really want to see Seville.

JohnM's picture
JohnM 27 August, 2012 - 16:17

Hi Sizar :) I lived in Seville for 9 months and I loved it. You should visit if you ever get the chance. There's a lot to see and do there, you wouldn't be disappointed. Thanks for reading!