Sport

Exercise in France

NatalieH

Yesterday I went to my first exercise class in France. Usually when I am in the UK I try to go to the gym two or three times per week. However, only on a very successful week (which is not very often) will I manage to make it to the gym three times! Nevertheless I was determined to find some exercises classes or a gym that I could join during my time in France. Lots of the local people in my town advised me that it is best to stay away from a French gym because the prices are ridiculously high; one teacher suggested that I try running on the weekends as a form of exercise because the gym was far too overpriced. Unfortunately this option was not going to work for me; I have a very weak motivation when it comes to exercise but a very strong motivation to taste the delights of the French food, mainly cheese! Therefore, I desperately need an exercise teacher to shout at me to get me to do some form of exercise.

It took me a while to find an exercise class that suited my work timetable but in the end I found one, it was Zumba and it took place a short, ten minute walk away from my flat.

I have done a few Zumba classes back in England and they were always lots of fun; you dance to your favourite chart music while burning off unnecessary calories. However, this class was very different. We spent forty-five minutes doing intense abdominal exercises with the teacher shouting loudly at us to not give in! At the end of the intense forty-five minutes, I was ready to relax but this was not allowed… For the remainder of the class (another forty-five minutes) we danced to the most popular songs of the moment; there was a mix of French pop songs, English pop songs and Spanish pop songs, so I felt very cultured when our warm-down finally arrived.

All in all I think I will definitely return to that Zumba class. I felt as if I did a good workout (as my abdominal muscles were still aching the next morning) and it was good fun dancing to French, English and Spanish pop songs. I also learnt a new word to add to my French vocabulary list: souffler, which means: breathe out!

Have you ever tried zumba? What do you like to do to keep fit? 

RAGSANA99's picture
RAGSANA99 5 January, 2014 - 17:15

I like dancing and want to go dancing classes. but " ZUMBA" it is fantastic , it helps to keep fit

Natalija 18 November, 2013 - 16:33

Yes, I tried zumba. I enrolled for hip hop classes last month, and we play zumba too, so I tried it. I like it, but not that much. It's good for keeping fit, but I prefer some other sports. To keep fit, I swim, run, dance, walk and play tennis. I agree with dancelover, the best way for being fit is to run more than an hour in the morning and put your favourite song.

dancelover's picture
dancelover 18 November, 2013 - 14:13

Yes, I've tried zumba lessons when I was in the camp. During the dance, you have the feeling that you're exhausted but the loud music and all these happiness makes you keep dancing!
I dance 9 years and this is one of my ways to keep fit! But also, I've a good nutrition. I don't eat many sweets and especially chocolates. My tip to keep fit?! If you want a nice body, you should start running at 7:00 on Saturdays until 8:30. Another helpful idea, is to put loud your favorite song and do gymnastic! ;)