Sport

Finding fun in yoga

9
LouiseH

OK, confession time! I have never been particularly sporty. Maybe it was because my PE classes at school consisted mainly of running round a freezing race track in the driving wind and rain once a week for 45 minutes. I grew up with no television so I never developed much of an interest in watching sports either much to some of my friends’ horror.

I remember that as a small child in nursery or primary school, playing sports was fun, not something I had to do, but something I wanted to do, something I enjoyed. There were fewer constrictions – it wasn’t working out, it was just playing. I could be crazy; I could play like no one was watching. Moving on to high school marked a big change in this respect. You are no longer encouraged to play with your friends at break time. Instead, you sit and chat, or if you are particularly studious, you work. As a teenager, self-consciousness crept in, and I became a lot more aware of what other people thought of me and of how I looked. Sport became, not something I enjoyed, but something I had to do to stay healthy and pass my PE class. The fun element had been taken away from it.

Over the last few years I have tried a few different sports. I have tried running, cycling, and swimming but it all felt a lot of the time like a bit of a chore. I wasn’t really enjoying it. It wasn’t fun and so I found it very difficult to motivate myself.

This winter time I decided I would try something new to avoid having to go out jogging in the cold weather. And I stumbled across...yoga. And I love it! It has completely changed how I look at sport. Yoga is not about competing or being the best. It is not about how you look. It is all about how you feel – reconnecting with your own body and rediscovering the fun in movement. Every day is different as you discover more and more about your body’s abilities and limitations. I find it grounds me and calms me on some days whereas on others it fills me up with energy. In yoga you are encouraged to be curious, to have fun with it and make it work for you however you might be feeling that day. It has helped me to take that attitude to other sports, to let go of how I might look and run like I did as a child again, to play sports for fun, as though no-one is watching.

If you want to try something new in 2016 I would highly recommend trying out yoga. Sport shouldn’t be a chore or something you feel you ‘should’ or ‘have to’ do. It should be fun. Yoga has helped me change my attitude towards sport. Maybe it could help you too! I hope you all have a great festive period. Happy New Year, yogis!

What is your favourite sport and why? How has your attitude to sport changed as you got older?

macadamia44's picture
macadamia44 19 November, 2016 - 16:26

My favorite sport is also yoga. I discovered yoga last year. Before yoga practice I hated all types of sport. then in my life arrived yoga. At the moment I like yoga very much. Now its my life. I cant imagine my life without yoga. Now I can stand on head.... its good feeling.

Littlebunny's picture
Littlebunny 3 July, 2016 - 05:18

My favorite sport is Vietnamese Traditional Kungfu. It's make me healthy and taller.

Ken 30 January, 2016 - 11:10

Wow… how interesting, we've got so different experiences!
I like PE, I enjoy sports, just because I like to move my body, which is my constitution. For me, any sports and exercises (including yoga) are fun but something train myself!
〃∩ ∧_∧   
⊂⌒( ・ω・)   
 \_っ⌒/⌒c  
   ⌒ ⌒ 

ENESTOKERENGWORK's picture
ENESTOKERENGWORK 16 January, 2016 - 07:33

My favorite sport footbal because I like footbal. Some times play basketball and volleyball. I like every ball sports :D

sona's picture
sona 13 January, 2016 - 17:39

My favourite sport is football and I have played it since I was three years old(to be more clear I just kick it and it was a bad shot) However,my dad has encouraged me and he has instilled me his love for football. The years passed and my passion has become bigger. I watched football in TV next to my dad,but I had not a particular team that I loved. I always chose the team that was against my dad's favourite team,FC Barcelona. Although,now I have changed my mind(I am with this team). During my childhood,my passion for football was not only expressed with watching football match,but even playing football with my friends in the neighbourhood. We spent the whole day playing football or training before an'official'match against other neighbouhoods. However,as we got older we couldn't play,because we were busier. However,I always look forward to PE,when I live again these beautiful times. Does anybody feel the same way?

ilvaii's picture
ilvaii 6 February, 2016 - 16:29

I just feel the same. I missed a lot those times when we were reckless and used to play sports the whole day,even if we go to PE classes now, it just doesn't feel the same,because we're older and we can't set ourselves free to act like we used to before.