Sport

Give basketball a go!

9
NatalieA

Being very tall I’m asked on a regular basis if I play basketball. But I have to confess, it’s a sport that has simply passed me by... until now.

Having recently moved to a small town in Quebec, about six hours from the nearest large town, I’ve had to adapt a lot; a foreign language, different people, different foods but ultimately different sports. I’ve learnt to embrace the new challenges thrown at me but the one that’s taken the longest to adapt to has been the lack of sports in my village. Well, it’s not so much a lack of sports, they just don’t seem to play the ones I know and have always played. At first, this felt a little scary; I didn’t know how I was going to cope without my beloved netball or a running club for the next year. But luckily for me, I didn’t have a shortage of offers for new sports. I had soon befriended a few of the locals and they were very keen for me to try my hand at basketball. So for the first time I was going to give it a go.

I showed up in my trainers at the local sports hall not really knowing what to expect. I knew that there was a basketball and a hoop involved but apart from that my knowledge was pretty minimal. I was quickly given a short rundown of the very basic rules and then that was it, we were off! I won’t lie to you - I spent practically the entire session running from one end of the hall to the other just following everyone around. That’s not to say I didn’t have my chance, I even managed to score a point! It was my one and only shot, but quite frankly I felt like a new Michael Jordan.

OK, so I’m far from being the best, but I gave it a go! I made some great new friends and I’m finally trying the sport that everyone has always thought I should be playing. I’m excited to keep trying and I can’t wait for my next game!

Have you ever played basketball? 

DeKey's picture
DeKey 16 February, 2017 - 16:50

As a noob player , I can say that basketball is my passion. My life. I always love basketball but I have been playing for two years . Basketball needs talent but passion ,love and perseverance is first. You go girl !

Christan's picture
Christan 29 November, 2016 - 16:53

Hi. everybody My name is Christan I play basketball myself the sport is really helpful. It taught me how to work with groups much better. Anger control, and also how to show my weaknesses and my strengths. Sportsmanship also prepare young adults for the competitive world we live in. I encourage you to stay involve in sportsmanship of any kind.

mavis2002's picture
mavis2002 19 March, 2016 - 21:29

i`m very good basketbalist . i play basket ball evry day . i love basketball.but in Iran we havn`t obtian.

premprapha's picture
premprapha 19 November, 2015 - 17:30

I play basketball for the first time at the age of 15 years when I did not like it much because I do not play.

yamkoko's picture
yamkoko 19 November, 2015 - 15:57

Sport is an activity that is vital to our lives. Sport gives me good health that I have met new friends and have fun. I do not understand people who do not like exercise and sports. There are many types of sport Sport I like best "basketball" basketball, so I can understand the words "Team Work" during the first start playing, it is not, then I think why many players. And was thought to be scored by one. I wanted to understand performance But playing They began to realize that it is not used.
Every sport has more than one, it was subconsciously team. Finally, I want to say to people who do not like exercise.
Thank You

hadia 30 March, 2015 - 15:43

I love playing basketball and I am very good at it ! Me and my friends play it during over game periods at school and we have a lot of fun!

justcricketforme 21 February, 2015 - 11:33

yes, we play it every week in Phys. Ed even though i'm not that tall, i still enjoy the game