Sport

The Grand National

16
Miranda Clark

The Grand National is an iconic horse race which happens every year in April at Aintree Racecourse in Liverpool in England. It started in 1839 and is still a very popular event today in the UK. The race course is the shape of a triangle and is about four miles long. The horses (and the jockies!) have to go over 30 fences during the two circuits of the race course. As you can imagine, the race is very difficult and a lot of jockies fall off their horses and therefore do not manage to complete the full course of the race. Sometimes there are serious injuries on the race course and some people say that the race is cruel, although a vet and doctor are always very nearby in the case of emergencies.

Many international jockies and horses join the 40 competitors in the event. The most famous horse in the Grand National was one called 'Red Rum' which won the race three times during the 1970s and also finished twice in second place. 

People get dressed up to go and watch the race in Liverpool and many women wear beautiful hats and dresses to the Grand National or alternatively just watch it on the television. Some people even gamble in the Grand National and bet some money on the horse that they think will win the race which, if it wins, will reward them with a lot more money than they started to bet with. If a horse does not have a big chance of winning the race then the prize money will be greater. Sometimes, a horse that no one expects to win actually wins the race, which means that a lot of money is won by the people who placed a bet on it.

It is estimated that around 500 to 600 million people in over 140 countries watch the Grand National. Do you watch it in your country?

Do you watch the Grand National in your country? Do you have a similar event?

ariina's picture
ariina 6 June, 2017 - 14:28

we have this event in iran but I hate watching it because mens whiping match horses and I hate that.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 25 August, 2013 - 17:22

I did not see a Grand National,but it's seems like very interesting.In Bosnia we don't have that,but we have similar events. :)

Zhazira's picture
Zhazira 12 May, 2013 - 14:45

I have never heard about Grand National, I guess, there are not so many people in my country( Kazakhstan) who watch it or who are even aware of it. I am really keen on horseriding, As for me this is one of the most exciting and magnificient sports. It is considered to be an extreme sport and I completely agree with this statement. Horseriding is very dangerous and if you are not at least an amateur in this sport you`d better not to take part in horse races. May be the reason i engoy this sport is my love to animals, especially to horses. I remember my childhood, I used to live in a village and everyday i was riding a horse. My grandfather taught me and i can surely say that this is not so difficult to ride a horse. THe important thing is horse shouldn`t be afraid of a jockie, they both should feel each other.Have you ever tried it? THat was fabulous I wish i could do it now :( I hope once I can visit The Crand National horse race.

Lusine's picture
Lusine 13 May, 2013 - 15:34

excellent!! Zhazira, I tried riding a horse at once , ,and I'll keep in mind your phrase"..Horse shouldn't be afraid of a jockie, the both should feel each other.." I'll pay attention on that next time when I ride a horse;)

ellen's picture
ellen 24 April, 2013 - 17:38

Hello jomia.
you are Hongkong.
Yes, i agree with your comments.
How old are you?
I waiting your my questions answering.

jomia's picture
jomia 23 April, 2013 - 09:53

In Hongkong, have grand national, I like watch it.And i want to go there,to watch the show live.

MALINE 14 April, 2013 - 01:34

Here in México don´t watch the Grand National although we have horse races and you can bet on them.

ellen's picture
ellen 11 April, 2013 - 18:00

Hello everybody..............
Yes my country watch the Grand National .Yae have got similar event.