Sport

Learning how to ride a bike

9
DaisyB

British children generally learn how to ride a bike at a young age after being taught by their parents. I am an exception to that rule. It’s not my dad’s fault – he tried to teach me, I remember cycling around the nearby housing estate with my stabilisers. To be honest though, I never saw the appeal. One of my earliest memories is tumbling over the handlebars of my tricycle into a patch of stinging nettles. I definitely didn’t want to repeat that.

So I stopped learning. My dad wasn’t going to waste his time teaching someone who didn’t want to be taught. Time passed and I accepted that I couldn’t ride a bike. It never affected my life in high school because I lived close enough to walk.

I never felt like I was missing out until I couldn’t go on a bike ride with friends in Byron Bay because I was only confident that I could go on a flat surface in a (generally) straight line. So when the opportunity came up to bike the wall of Xi’an, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and make up for missed time. So, with a friend who has the patience of a saint by my side, I got on the bike. Instantly nothing came flooding back to me, I had absolutely no idea how to start! Push off with one foot hard was my instruction. Sounded simple enough but it just would not happen. Until something clicked and suddenly I was off, going in a straight-ish line on a flat-ish surface and managing to avoid the Chinese tourists who found my excitement hilarious.

At 22 years old, I finally learnt how to ride a bike, and nothing can hold me back.

Do you like cycling? When did you learn how to ride a bike? 

hadia 30 October, 2016 - 03:40

Umm.....I guess I was about 7 or 8 years old when I started riding bicycle...My elder bro and sis taught me. They would help me by holding the bicycle to keep and maintain the balance while I would ride it. It's so lovely to remember that time. How eagerly I wanted to ride the bicycle. And I learnt it quickly. It was really easy. I loved riding it, even now....I ride it sometime.

Manaly's picture
Manaly 16 September, 2016 - 10:07

I actually couldn't ride a bike i always lost the
balance :(
And btw i am afraid from falling and being injured.

AnonymousGr's picture
AnonymousGr 13 July, 2016 - 08:24

learned cycling when I was 4 years old, I still have the bike I learned to cycle with. I love cycling and I cycle around 1 kilometers a day to school!
When i cycling i feel free!
I LOVE CYCLING!!

Fressher's picture
Fressher 13 June, 2016 - 12:58

I learned cycling when I was 4 years old, I still have the bike I learned to cycle with. I love cycling and I cycle around 20 kilometers a day to school. I have 3 different bikes, I maily use my regular bike for school, but sometimes I go mountain-biking or use my road bike. But the problem here in the Netherlands is that everyone uses their phone during cycling. This causes accidents. Or people listen to loud music during cycling, so when you ring the bell they can't hear you. It is really annoying and it needs to stop.

Ken 4 February, 2016 - 12:00

I don't exactly remember how old I was when I started to ride a bike. I only remember how I practiced riding a bike in my early years. When I first successfully rode a bike, which remains a vivid memory, my brother helped me running with me by holding the back seat of the bike steady while I was riding. "Wow, I did it!", cried I, as soon as I noticed I was riding without anyone's hands! After that, I was tempted to ride a bigger bike (26 inch) to ride faster even though my feet were not touching the ground!
Soon, I started to go to the local traffic playground frequently where kids can learn traffic rules from the policeman working there. I really enjoyed there!

DearSky's picture
DearSky 29 January, 2016 - 20:27

I learnt when I was around 10 years old, but it's been a long time since I rode a bike. I remember when I was riding and I lost balance I almost fell in a street stairs.

gianggiang 8 December, 2015 - 08:08

(A hahahahahahhhhh)*10^n.

22 years old is not late at all.

Yes, I like cycling and I usually go to school by bike. Sometimes when I get up late, I ride a bike and eat bread at the same time on the way to school so that I am not late for classes and consequently, I have some small accidents. After some memorial experiences, I realize that my riding skill is getting better.

DaisyB's picture
DaisyB 16 December, 2015 - 03:57

Glad you don't think 22 years old is too late - I've had many people laugh at me for not being able to ride a bike!! Be careful when you ride and eat, especially if you're already having accidents!! Practice makes perfect and if you ride every day to school you will improve very quickly.