Sport

Learning to run

6
LetticeBlogger

I used to hate running. At secondary school I found it exhausting to run around the sports field and I was always one of the last students to cross the finish line. Then, in 2012, my friend asked me if I would like to run a 10K event with him. My immediate reaction was, 'No way! I hate running'.

Over the weekend I thought about his question. I thought, 'Why do I hate running when I haven’t tried it since Year 7 in secondary school?' In the end I decided I should give running another try before I said I hated it. I told my friend I would like to enter the 10K event with him. He was pleased to hear that I would join him. He advised me to look on the internet for a running programme to help me learn how to run.

There were lots of running programmes on the internet. I chose a 14-week running programme that would teach me how to run for 30 minutes non-stop. The programme was very easy to follow, with precise instructions on what to do each week. I had to run three times a week for different lengths of time. Initially I ran for short periods of time and had long breaks in between. Then as the weeks went on I had to run for longer periods of time and the breaks in between got shorter.

I enjoyed following the running programme as I could see improvements in my running each week. I went from not being able to run for more than 30 seconds to running for over 30 minutes! My younger self would not have believed it. I went from hating running to loving running!

On the day of the 10K running event I was both excited and nervous. It was finally time to put my new skills into practice. My friends and family came to support me. It was lovely to have them there. With their support and my training I managed to finish the 10K in 72 minutes. It was tough but I felt very proud for having tried it.

From this experience I learnt it was a good idea to try something before saying I hated it! It turned out that I really enjoyed running. I went on to do another 10K, an 8K and a half marathon. To this day I still enjoy running even if I do not do it very often.

Is there a sport you used to hate but now enjoy?

linhnguyen's picture
linhnguyen 15 January, 2017 - 17:00

i extremely love sport... so i take a lot of time in my life for this when i just a little, something like : running, flute cock, table tennis, badminton... Now i'm final student at university i quite busy with studying, doing some research, final project but I never forget doing exercise I still spend at least 2 hours every day to do some exercise because it make me feel comfortable, fresh and my brain can be relax...

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 15 January, 2017 - 18:46

Dear linhnguyen,
Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but it sounds like you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but if you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other. You are welcome to join our LearnEnglish page for adults and post comments there: www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish .
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

LetticeBlogger's picture
LetticeBlogger 21 March, 2017 - 08:58

Yes, it's nice to set running goals. There are lots of running programmes online that give information on how to train for a 10K. Good luck!