Sport

Life After the Olympics

35
Rachel Lewis

Today I woke up, and asked myself "what am I going to do without the Olympics?". That sounds crazy, I know. But the last 16 days have seen the UK turn into a sport-obsessed, energetic place, and I'm sad it's over!

It is true that I only attended one event, and that was only a football match - a quarter final between Brazil and Honduras, which sounds much more exciting than it actually was. I don't think the Brazilian team did themselves justice, but they won anyway, as Honduras finished the game with only nine players on the field. Despite being hundreds of miles from London, the atmosphere has been palpable, and the games a triumph.

Maybe you have a favourite moment from the games, where an athlete from your country really excelled. If you want to share it, please do! I'll tell mine first. It may have been a bronze medal, rather than silver or gold, but watching Tom Daley diving had me on the edge of my seat, shouting at the television and essentially praying for that 18-year-old, who has shouldered more in the last year than I have had to do in my whole life. And he's done it with a smile. I was "Team Tom" from before the Olympics even started, and felt like a proud older sister as his medal was confirmed.

I had two friends volunteering for the duration of the games. One in the press office, the other outside venues. It sounds like the volunteers did a fantastic job. Like most other Brits, I was questioning whether London was capable of hosting the games, whether Team GB would put on a satisfactory show, whether there wouldn't be some complete disaster following the security and ticketing problems. Thankfully, I was shown that London was more than capable of hosting the games, Team GB could succeed emphatically, and that the whole two weeks seem to have passed disaster-free. I am happiness itself.

I hope the "legacy" of these games will be that young people, like you guys, continue in your sports and are inspired by the people who can now say "job done". I remember thinking it was too late to get involved in a new sport during my teens, but it absolutely wasn't. There have been many stories these games of athletes who started late. Who knows what you could do. Try something new, whatever takes your fancy!

Did you watch much of the Olympic Games? Did your country win many medals?

dzeni 27 March, 2014 - 12:26

I watched Olympic Games but not very much. I really like it. My country, Montenegro, won a silver medal in handball. That was the first olympic medal for my country and I`m really happy about it. :)

cranberry's picture
cranberry 16 December, 2013 - 17:22

I love watching the Olympic games, especially athletics and swimming. My countri didn`t win a lot of medals, but on the last Olympic games our woman handball team won second place. i`m really looking forward to the next Olimpic games.

jomia's picture
jomia 28 August, 2013 - 10:24

My country win many many medals, and just for the medals, not for elses, so when listening the number of the medal we get, and sometimes is the first, l just .... not happy as my friends around me.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 5 July, 2013 - 10:55

I didn't watch too much Olympic Games.Bosnia didin't win any medals.But who cares!? Our politicals care only about thenselves.

Angelica's picture
Angelica 29 May, 2013 - 19:48

I watched Olympic Games..VERY exciting..My country is Turkey...Turkey won 5 medals in the London 2012..

onedirectionlover2002's picture
onedirectionlov... 19 May, 2013 - 08:43

Yep! I enjoyed them a lot! Though I had a long journey to London! NO, my country didn't win any medals. I'm happy Britain won the third place! I also am very happy for Andy Murray won the tennis finals! I really miss the olympics 2012, they were the best in the history (my point of veiw):(!!!!!!!!!!

lovedenmark123's picture
lovedenmark123 16 May, 2013 - 14:25

im from denmark and i love olympic. Its so nice to watch everybody competition and its very funny to watch.

MALINE 5 May, 2013 - 17:22

I love Olimpic games all those people gather in a Country despite ther different beliefs it´s absolutely thrilling.
I really enjoy watchin diving and swimming.
México often gets medals in diving and this time was no exception and I think we all got surprised when México won a golden medal in soccer! , I really hope they can do it again,it will make us so proud.

Julijana's picture
Julijana 23 April, 2013 - 19:11

I watched the Olympic games.My country,Montenegro won the silver medal in women's handball !!! :) :) :)

ipek c's picture
ipek c 8 March, 2013 - 19:52

Wow! I want to watch olympic games. :D I don't go London Olympic Games and Rio is so far.... :(

REDREDRED's picture
REDREDRED 3 February, 2013 - 12:00

I didn't wach the Olympics Games, and even I don't know that my country won something or not. But my friend, he is a sportsman, went to London as a volunteer, and he was excited! He said that it was really interesting and amazing games, and my country Ukraine showed good enough results.

Irini Real Madrid's picture
Irini Real Madrid 18 January, 2013 - 18:43

my country had participate only one time in olimpic games.
to told the truth albania hadnt win any medal ;(oh noooooo

peachtree's picture
peachtree 24 August, 2012 - 14:29

I watched the olympics every day, my country (spain) didn't do it really well, but the olymics were so interesting! I watched jessica enis from the great britain team in athletism, she is incredible!! and also the swimming competition, phelps did it really well! and mireia belmonte is absolutely the best spanish athetic! lol
London has organized very well the olympics! :)

m.tayyab's picture
m.tayyab 15 August, 2012 - 06:26

No, i did not watch much of the Olympic Games but i watched some of them like hockey etc. our team (Pakistan) did well in all the matches but could not win a medal, but i really enjoyed all the matched which our team had played during the Olympic Games. Many congratulation to Great Britain for hosting such a great event.