Sport

Making sense of yoga

64
Emma Douty

If you haven’t practised yoga yet, you probably think it’s a kind of exercise for people with extremely flexible bodies or maybe for hippies. Not true! Speaking as someone with virtually non-existent flexibility, I can tell you that not only is it something that anyone can do, but also something that everyone will most likely enjoy.

So what is it all about? Well, yoga originates from the period of the ‘Golden Age,’ some 26,000 years ago, in India. Nowadays it is practised as a way to de-stress your mind and tone up your body, meaning that the benefits are not only physical, but mental, too. Most people choose to practise it either in the morning before breakfast, or in the evening after a long, busy day. This way they can bring their bodies into balance and find stillness and tranquillity.

With yoga, the body is stretched and pushed to create muscular strength and power. There are different levels, so you can choose one day to push hard, and then the next to go slow. There is no limit and no requirements, so it suits your body perfectly! You can do it after a sweaty cardio workout, to relieve and relax your muscles. Yoga is a great way to wind down your body after an intense session at the gym.

And the meditation aspect of yoga is just as beneficial. Focusing on your breathing is a crucial practice here; it brings about awareness and stillness within you, so you can de-stress, removing all sorts of clutter from your worried mind.

In addition, yoga is a spiritual exercise. It connects you with your surroundings, drawing out energies and circulating them into your body, so your body and mind are revived. Hatha yoga focuses especially on this. Sessions are often 90 minutes long, sometimes more, because it takes time to truly relax and submit to meditation. You should enjoy this time as it really makes a difference to your physical, mental, and spiritual state.

At a time when so many of us are stressed out, rushing around, feeling the pressure of every tiny little detail in our lives, yoga provides a space where we can just relax and let go, which not only helps us to perform better in our daily activities, but keeps us fit and brings us tranquillity, too.

So, now you know that you don’t need to be any sort of gymnast, ballerina or hippie to get involved, what are you waiting for? Sign up at your local gym and give it a shot.

Have you ever tried yoga? If not, would you like to?

bookworm19's picture
bookworm19 22 May, 2016 - 05:27

i am a yoga student in india..i like to do yoga very much...it keeps me healthy and fresh..

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 28 August, 2015 - 11:03

It is a sport of peace.
For me i do it but not in public places as gardens and gyms because i'm too shy.
I always meditate, i mean as long as i'm living a healthy life style meditation is very important for me because it help me to get rid of stress, sometimes headache and it is very relaxing.

yougataga's picture
yougataga 4 August, 2013 - 07:28

i really think you for this amazing article, now i'm verry aware about the importance of this sport as well as the fact that it helps us to be phisically good and whish is so important for me as a ingeneering student the mentality side because in my studies i confront problems and and don't have how te react ! thank you

officialBasma's picture
officialBasma 8 July, 2013 - 12:19

i like to practise yoga it made me grow taller, but i find hard when it comes to meditation aspect i just cant stop thinking about stuff

otarsichinava's picture
otarsichinava 24 May, 2013 - 08:15

hello. i never tried yoga. i would like to practise it. because i think it is very relaxing and helpful..

Elizabeth B's picture
Elizabeth B 13 May, 2013 - 17:04

Well,I practised yoga!
After daily routine I'd like to relax and spend my free time with pleasure. I'm always interested in ways to keep my body fit.
There are too many activities which make our life boring, besides, these exercises is not always effective. Yoga helps you control your breathing and improves concentration and flexibility. Moreover, it's an excellent way to communicate with your body. You can improve your mind, body and health. Also, there are many varieties of yoga, so people of all ages can do it. What could be better?!
As for me, yoga is a great activity!

Jonathan - Coor... 14 May, 2013 - 05:05

Hi Elizabeth B! Yoga sounds like a really good way to keep fit and stay healthy. It's interesting how you said it's good for your mind as well as your body. Does it help you to relax? How long have you been doing yoga? Do you go to a class or do you practise at home? 

Elizabeth B's picture
Elizabeth B 15 May, 2013 - 17:26

Hi Jonathan!:)
Yes, it helps me to relax, because I can listen only my body without annoying noise, moreover I always do exercises of yoga when I stay alone at home. It's a really pleasure for my mind and body.
I've tried it 10 months ago and I feel an excellent result! Every morning I wake up and get a burst of energy, besides, I haven't been ill once since I started! Can you imagine it?:)
Unfortunately, I haven't enough free time for going to a class, so I practise at home. There are many channels on YouTube for people who would like to practise yoga.
Would you like to try it?

Jonathan - Coor... 24 May, 2013 - 09:13

Hi Elizabeth. I actually tried a class recently! I really enjoyed it and I think I'll start going regularly. The only problem is the class is at 7am and it's hard to get up that early. It's great you're so self-motivated! 

Natalija 15 April, 2013 - 20:43

I practice yoga every day; I started three years ago and it's so relaxing and agreeable. My godmother teaches yoga at one sports center and she learnt me how to practice it, and I really like it. When I'm nervous or anxious about something, I just lock in my room, and meditate. It's so helpful, and I strongly recommend it to all who have never try. It helps you to get to know more about yourself, about both body and soul, and it's great for health, physical as well as psychical.

giorgi.shonia's picture
giorgi.shonia 8 April, 2013 - 23:46

i have nevre tryed yoga, but I think it's a good way to relax your body and mind, I will definitelly try it one day

mary_me5's picture
mary_me5 3 April, 2013 - 19:17

I have never practised yoga but I know that it is the best way to relax. You get a good energy . It is also good for losinfg weight as i know. I am sure that i will practise yoga in future.

Nika C's picture
Nika C 2 April, 2013 - 19:15

I have tried it two months ago, I felt so free and fresh air, it was good , I would like to try one more time.

M.M.'s picture
M.M. 28 February, 2013 - 16:48

Wow! After reading this article I started to think different about yoga. The problem is that people are not informed well these days. Amazing article. I will definitely try it.

megisiana's picture
megisiana 10 February, 2013 - 15:08

i have never tried yoga but i would love because is relaxing..........it makes you feel calm and concentrated...........

TheJuli's picture
TheJuli 2 February, 2013 - 13:48

To be honest with you, I'd like to go on a yoga class just for the yoga pants. If you know what I mean.

Diana's picture
Diana 31 January, 2013 - 12:15

I practise yoga.
I love it, because it's very fun, and relaxing.
It's for very crazy teens and people, who want to relax after difficult day, or after loud rock music.
Practise yoga and you won't regret.