Sport

In pursuit of fitness

12
EmilyW

When I was younger, I was very sporty. My dad is an avid runner who greatly influenced me. My great passion between the ages of 11 and 14 was long distance, or cross-country, running. However, when my family moved, my new school was not very focused on sports, and had no after-school activities like football or running.

Over the next few years, I stopped exercising apart from during Physical Education lessons at school, and even then, I was very grumpy about having to participate. I'm lucky that I can eat what I want and – for the most part – not put on any weight, so I looked like I was healthy, whereas in reality I was very unfit.

When I started university I decided that I would try and get fit, but by then I was worried about embarrassing myself in front of other people. I signed up for volleyball (which I was terrible at) then football (but I never went to a training session) then Ultimate Frisbee (and then decided it was a very uncool sport). Eventually, I decided that I wasn't a sporty person.

However, this year, one of my New Year's resolutions has been to try and get in shape. This decision came after I was late for a bus, tried to run after it and was very out of breath in under a minute! I considered taking up running again, but my housemate had a very bad experience with men shouting after her and beeping at her from their cars when she tried to go for a jog one evening.

Finally, one of my friends suggested a swimming pool close to my house that she goes to a few times a week. Now, I'm a convert! I love feeling like I've done something productive with my day, and I find doing laps in the pool very relaxing. Experts say everyone should do 30 minutes of moderate exercise every day, so I'm starting with an hour three times a week and building up to every day. I hope that I will soon start to feel the benefits of regular exercise, and will become fitter and stronger. In the long term, I know it will be very good for me, and prevent all sorts of health problems that often occur in later life.

How do you stay fit and healthy?

Griesmann2's picture
Griesmann2 1 February, 2017 - 15:46

I eat healthy food and train with the football team 3 times a week At school we do sport too. Last week in PE we played handball

Persianman's picture
Persianman 2 May, 2016 - 15:30

just SWIM every day to stay fit and healthy because its the best sport in the World

Ken 30 June, 2015 - 14:21

I've started working out at my school gym. I feel refreshed and good to get fit!Ohhhh, my mustles hurt by the way...
=͟͟͞͞≠⌓̈⃝\ᵒᵐᵍ

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 9 June, 2015 - 19:08

I stay fit and health because I have one passion-I LOVE sport.I THINK: everybody should exsercise because there is one perfect sport for everyone!Mine is swimming(It's number one!)but I also like running and aerobic.

Sports and games make us active, agile and energetic. They play a key role in making us healthier. I play basketball and badminton because they are my favourite sports. I also have a morning walk to keep myself fit. I have not done swimming from a long time and really wish that I could find time to do it!! well! I really love doing horse riding whenever I visit my farm house...... its an excellent sport to keep yourself healthy and fit. I also do cyclying . I think that we should adopt different sports to keep our body in shape.

Elsa007 17 February, 2015 - 04:21

When I was younger, I was very sportive, too and an as agile as a squirrel enough to ask my mom if I could join a circus! But now I'm lazy. I haven't even been to a swimming pool since I was shocked to bump into an old lady who was wearing exactly the same swimming-suit with mine!…Now I'm looking for some small way to keep fit every day and of course, 'Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise'!

TdimitrisGR's picture
TdimitrisGR 11 February, 2015 - 14:17

I exersise all the week sametimes me and my friend we are going with our bikes i also go to a kick box team where can make my body stronger and develop my running for example