Sport

Running is becoming cool

4
NaomiK
Running is free, it’s easy and now it’s becoming cool as well. Many people do not have enough time to play a team sport, so instead they have started going running. In the past, jogging in the street was seen as a bit silly and not very cool. But things are changing. Nowadays, lots of people go out running in their spare time. Some people go to lose weight while others go simply to keep fit. The shops are now full of equipment, clothing and gadgets for runners. Many runners also have special watches which can track their route and tell them their speed. Even at 6 o'clock in the morning you sometimes see runners in the streets. They must be crazy! But scientists say that along with cycling and swimming, running is a very good way to keep fit. 

Unfortunately, running is often quite unpopular among young people at school. In some schools when it rains (which it does a lot in England) and it’s too wet to play football or hockey, children have to do cross country running instead. However, now that running has become more fashionable hopefully more young people will take it up. But, of course, trends change all the time, so let’s hope that running is here to stay.

Every year in April, the London Marathon takes place. The race covers a fantastic route in which runners pass lots of the famous sites like The London Eye and Big Ben. People come from all over the world to run in the London Marathon. Interestingly, marathon running used to be seen as an extreme sport, but now even people who are very unfit take part in marathons every year! It’s not that marathons have got easier; it’s that people have become more interested in running. After the marathon every year the streets suddenly become full of runners. People find it so inspiring that they want to try it themselves. All you need is a pair of trainers and a bit of determination, so what are you waiting for?

Do you ever go running? What do you do to keep fit?

narut045's picture
narut045 19 November, 2015 - 13:15

Dear Pjew
Yes, I do running/jogging everyday after comingeback to my home.Jogging is one way to help everybody has a good health.

iva10 1 November, 2015 - 21:44

Yes i go running almost every day.I try to keep fit by eating healthy food and i have basketball practice every monday,wensday and friday.I also play basketball in my free time.I run about half an hour,on the summer vacation i used to get up at four or five clock to go running.But my mother said i should not go so early to run,so i stooped.

heightplanner's picture
heightplanner 14 October, 2015 - 07:20

Yes, I do running/jogging and walk on regular basis. When i was in school at that time i was afraid from running don't know why. I had only one dream in my life to be an Army Officer but problem is that i couldn't run. Whenever i tried to run then my breath run fast as compare my legs :).
After some years i was in college and got two time rejection from Army. Then i started again running to keep my physical fitness according to Army Level. So i started running on very short track around 0.25KM.
I remember, i do running on same track continuously on week, after one week i increase my running track form 0.25KM to 0.5KM and do the same thing until my daily track distance 6KM long.
Then i again apply in Army but unfortunately again i got rejection, that was my last chance.
Now i do running and walk 45 mins on daily basis to keep my fitness and release stress.

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 14 October, 2015 - 08:25

Dear Heightplanner.
Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but it sounds like you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but if you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other. You are welcome to join our LearnEnglish page for adults and post comments there: www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish.
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)