Sport

Wimbledon

6
ChloeF

Summer has officially arrived in the UK, and with that means Wimbledon has now hit our screens. Now, I’m sure there are many people who this means nothing to, so let me explain: Wimbledon is a famous tennis tournament which takes place in Wimbledon, London for a period of two weeks each summer. This year it’s taking place from the 29th June until the 12th July. Wimbledon, along with the Australian Open, the French Open and the US Open make up the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, which are also known as Majors.

I personally never used to be a fan of tennis. I was terrible when I had to play it during my PE lessons when I was at school, and was never interested in the sport, probably because I couldn’t play it well! However, a few years later I discovered Wimbledon, and by discovered I mean actually became interested and started watching tennis.

The tournament attracts all the famous tennis stars, from the Williams sisters to Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. For Great Britain we have Andy Murray, who’s currently ranked world no. 3 and actually won the tournament back in 2013, so British people will obviously be hoping for a repeat of that this year.

If you go to watch Wimbledon live, be prepared to queue; most people get there for 6 am, with some even camping overnight to try and get their hands on the well sought-after tickets. Another staple part of Wimbledon is the strawberries and cream, the classic food which is served during the tournament, which has been a part of the tournament ever since it was launched in 1877. With Wimbledon being played during summer, I think strawberries and cream is the perfect choice of food to complement watching the tennis, in what should be nice summer weather. It’s also something typically British, that makes me instantly think of summer and Wimbledon.

I’ve never been lucky enough to watch Wimbledon in the flesh, so looks like I’ll be watching it from my TV again this year. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to get tickets, as nothing compares to actually being there and watching it live. During my last few weeks in Paris I managed to watch the French Open final when they broadcast it on screens by the Eiffel Tower, so hopefully they will do something similar over here with Wimbledon. Just hopefully the weather will stay nice for it, as everyone knows what a British summer can be like!

Do you like watching or playing tennis? 

iva10 26 July, 2015 - 13:58

Yes i do.Tennis is my favourite sport.I watched the final Djokovic won 3-1.He's my adol:):):):):):):)

LadyLily5000's picture
LadyLily5000 12 July, 2015 - 21:23

I watched the Wimbledon final tournament between Djokovic and Federer today. My family doesn't do any tennis but when it comes to watching it on TV we become more than passionate about it. Well, it might be because of Djokovic, as we are huge fans of him, or the reason can be the tennis spirit as well. Well, in my opinion, tennis is one of the hardest sports as we can see the players run over the court for up to five hours and hit a ball with all their might. It needs great physical and psychical strength.

Lavender 4 July, 2015 - 17:03

I have never played tennis before. We played basketball and badminton during PE lessons. I just heard Wimbledon a few times. But until now I know how much it means to British. I like the exciting feeling when we watch a sport game. In my country we have soccer, which is called 'king sport', it attracts so many many man and women, like tennis in England.

ChloeF's picture
ChloeF 4 July, 2015 - 11:10

Hello everyone. I just wanted to point out that there's a mistake in the article and the year Andy Murray won was actually 2013, not 2012 as I had stated! Sorry for any confusion

Jonathan - Coor... 4 July, 2015 - 12:59

Hi ChloeF. I've amended the text now. Thanks for spotting it! Great blog!

Elsa007 4 July, 2015 - 07:24

I haven't played tennis for ages, but I like to play tennis and watch the world major tournaments!