Sport

Is yoga a sport?

JoR

Last summer, I tried to teach my brother yoga. It didn't go well, and throughout our practice he said, 'This isn't sport – this is just stretching!' The next morning, however, he felt sore in muscles he never knew he had! This made me think – yoga doesn't make your heart race like running, it doesn't make you sweat like a game of football, so is it really sport?

Even people who do yoga disagree about this. Some treat it as a way to keep fit, others say it's a kind of meditation, and some even call it a lifestyle. There is no doubt that it keeps your body in shape though. During yoga, you hold poses or stretches, and move smoothly between them. This tones and stretches your muscles, because there is lots of repetition. It's vital, however, that you don't stress your body. Yoga instructors help new pupils to listen to their bodies, because you are not meant to feel pain. Moves can be done differently for beginners and people with more experience, and depending on how far you can stretch. This makes it very healthy, as you are looking after your bones but exercising your muscles.

On the other hand, breathing in yoga makes it more like meditation. Learning how and when to breathe is a difficult part of yoga, but when you understand it, it changes your mindset. During certain poses or movements, you must breathe in or out, or stay still for a few deep breaths. This makes your yoga smoother, because your breathing makes your movement flow. It's also tricky to know how to breathe correctly and there are different kinds of breath. This is why I would recommend going to classes if you want to start yoga, so an instructor can teach you this well.

Concentrating on breathing and moving is a great way to relax your mind. It forces you to think about your body and feel what is happening, which makes it easier to forget everything else. You also have a relaxation period at the end of a yoga practice. Listening to music, hearing your instructor's soothing voice, or just being silent all help take you away from everyday things.

In my opinion, yoga is a sport, but it has other things to offer too. It tones my body and keeps me fit, while taking care of my mind – plus afterwards, I feel happy, energetic and ready for anything. Namaste!

Do you think of yoga as a sport? Have you ever tried yoga?

Ngocthao60nna10's picture
Ngocthao60nna10 28 June, 2020 - 17:58

Yes. I think yoga is a sport which is a form of exercise are a form of sport. It provides you a peaceful state of mind, keeps you fit and puts you in good mood, yoga encourages you to become healthier. I have been taking a yoga class for three months but now I have to prepare for the final exams so now I don't have much time to take yoga class.I advice you to try yoga because it's really good for the soul and it can be really useful.

1 user has voted.
LinhNguyen_2208's picture
LinhNguyen_2208 21 June, 2020 - 16:16

Although I have ever tried yoga, I think it's a sport because you don't need to be competing for it to be a sport. It includes physical work and lots of practice; therefore, it would be a sport because you benefit health wise from it which is all people say you need for it to be a sport.

1 user has voted.
AyuNguyen's picture
AyuNguyen 21 June, 2020 - 15:46

I think yoga is a sport 'cause it also makes us stronger and more resilient like other sports. I have never tried yoga, but I have seen the benefits it brings to my friend.

1 user has voted.
Yennhi's picture
Yennhi 21 June, 2020 - 04:51

Honestly speaking, I don't know whether yoga is a sport or not. I just know that it provides you a peaceful state of mind, keeps you fit and puts you in good mood. Although I have never myself practiced yoga, I think it is a kind of meditation. Yoga is basically an exercise for physical and mental well being, so if I have chance, I will try it without hesitance

thuchien's picture
thuchien 18 June, 2020 - 01:56

I believe yoga is a sport. Yoga has been shown to improve your mood. For instance, at first my sister is really tempered, after practicing yoga for several years her personality has improved, now she's more patient. Besides, it also creates strong muscles and increase flexibility. I haven't tried yoga.

1 user has voted.
tunglam0711's picture
tunglam0711 17 June, 2020 - 04:01

From my point of view, yoga is not a sport because I think if there is no competition, there is no sport. Yoga is boring to me so I don't think that I will try yoga.

thaoyen258's picture
thaoyen258 15 June, 2020 - 18:01

In my opinion, yoga is a sport. Yoga is an activity to help you relax after a hard work-out day. It helps you avoid sore muscle and it's good for your backbone. I have never try yoga before but I will try it if l have free times

1 user has voted.
victorya1k13's picture
victorya1k13 5 May, 2017 - 15:22

I think yoga is a sport but somewhere it is same tai chi. They are very slow

hadia 28 October, 2016 - 16:56

I don't know whether it's a sport or not. I guess it's intuition and provides you with a peaceful state of mind. Although, I've never myself practised yoga, I think it's a kind if meditation. It"s basically an exercise for physical and mental well being.

Mariamffa11's picture
Mariamffa11 31 March, 2016 - 15:15

I don't really think that yoga is a sport.
I've tried it before and loved it. I still do it to become fit.

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 8 June, 2015 - 20:23

I have never tried YOGA,but I would like to...Think that yoga is "Mental sport":-)...

Natalija 18 November, 2013 - 16:28

I think yoga is not a sport, but it is definitely something I highly recommend to everyone. Nothing can relax us as yoga does; when I do yoga, I feel completely free and I think yoga helps us to achieve nirvana. I've been practicing yoga for many years, and it's really useful, try it.

JoR's picture
JoR 18 November, 2013 - 22:12

"Namaste" is a Sanskrit (an Indian language) word, which means, "I bow". It is often used at the end of a yoga class - the instructor and pupils all bring their hands into the prayer position, say "Namaste" and bow to each other. It acts as a sign of thanks and respect, for both pupils and teacher. 

princessred124's picture
princessred124 17 November, 2013 - 13:45

I think that yoga is a sport. I tried out yoga with an instructor. At first, it seemed difficult but day by day, it became very easy. It has many benefits too. It keeps us fit, energetic, makes us fresh and ready for everything.

Lavender 15 November, 2013 - 17:41

I tried out yoga last summer. I downloaded a series videos of yoga tutorials and did it every evening till the summer ended. At first I felt it difficult to hold posed and stretch. My body was too hard to bend. I wasn't able to hold a pose as long as the models in those videos, esp when I had to lay out and raise my legs at the same time, it seemed like they were very heavy. But after 1 week I got used to. Before taking up yoga I had trouble with my back, I sat a lot in school. But know it's gone over. I feel comfortable doing yoga, breathing. Doing yoga likes massage my muscle. I like yoga.

JoR's picture
JoR 18 November, 2013 - 22:09

I totally agree that yoga is good for your back, and it helps your posture too. I found the same thing - at the start, my body was difficult to move and bend, but it quickly gets used to the poses.