Sport

Zumba!

31
Emma Douty

You must have heard by now about the Z-word; it’s the latest, trendiest, coolest way to keep fit and have fun as you do – didn’t you know?

I had been meaning to jump on the bandwagon for months, until I came to Mexico, joined a gym, and saw the perfect opportunity to go for it. Where better than in the very heart of Latin America itself?

Because yes, Zumba comes from this part of the world, where hip-swinging, toe-tapping, and body-spinning is performed with a sensuality and rhythm that is innate only to the wonderful Latin American people. Dances such as salsa, cumbia, and merengue are second nature here, and it is a combination of these that gave birth to the official workout version, Zumba.

Now, the first thing to do is to not be afraid. The first, second, even third time will be a challenge, because your body has never moved like this before. DON’T GIVE UP! Let your body give in to the music and just go with it – being a natural is of no importance here, it’s all about dancing, getting into shape, and above all enjoying the experience.

Zumba is the most fun you will ever have while doing exercise, very decent exercise, too. You will tone up every part of your body, you will sweat, and you will learn something new every time. You will see your level improve as quickly as after just one week, you’ll feel stronger and you’ll become familiar with all the moves. This is one of the most rewarding things about taking up Zumba: getting to learn to dance in a totally different way.

Here in Mexico, salsa bars and clubs are all over the place, because it is something that is integral to the culture – simple as that. I don’t know about you, but at home in the UK, you have to search very hard for such a thing; the ‘dances’ we have just aren’t the same. So Zumba is a great way to get a taste of salsa without looking any further than your local gym.

So, what are you waiting for? Track down your nearest Zumba class and go for it, I guarantee you won’t regret it. Oh, and don’t forget to bring a towel – you’ll be needing it!

Would you like to try Zumba?

Do you think dance is a good way to keep fit?

SLMT's picture
SLMT 21 May, 2017 - 16:54

I have tried Zumba last year .I love it so much coz I can feel free when I did Zumba. Although I like it so much,I don't have enough time this year. So I had to say Goodbye. If u want to stay fit u should try it. It will make miracles .

Aliceinthewonderland's picture
Aliceinthewonderland 28 January, 2017 - 06:45

First of all,I have been learning Latin dance for around 6 years. The dance which I am learning is: rumba,samba,cha cha, jive and paso double. I would like to try Zumba if I have a chance:)♡ In my opinion, dancing is the way that you can keep fit and enjoy the he healthy life.

hanies1904's picture
hanies1904 5 September, 2014 - 14:13

I want to try Zumba because I want to know about new things. But I think aerobic is better than Zumba.

Katniss17's picture
Katniss17 24 August, 2014 - 16:32

I did ballet as a kid but I've never considered myself a dancer. I was nervous to try Zumba because I didn't want to look ridiculous so I wouldn't dare go by myself! I had to have a friend to laugh with me and now I don't care of being ridiculous because Zumba is super fun and sexy!

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 21 October, 2013 - 18:10

I don't like dancing, but it's caused by people from my class and my memories i think. Now only one dance is really interestesting for me - Belgian dance. I think i must try zumba one time. If not now maybe few years later. Why not? :)

MALINE 20 October, 2013 - 17:11

yes,Zumba is a very complete excercise and you can practice it with different stiles of music and it´s a grat way to saty fit and a lot of fun and noise!

Natalija 8 March, 2013 - 21:50

I have been dancing since I was 10 years old and I find it excellent for figure and for health. Dancing is very amusing, above all. It gives you freedom to express your feelings in the way you like to, without any fear. The most important thing is to not be shy, to relax and to believe you can make it. Dancing is my biggest passion and I can't imagine a day without it. I had heard about zumba and I'll definitely try soon. My BFF is also interested and it's much more better in pair. Looking forward to dancing zumba;).

dona cenja's picture
dona cenja 1 March, 2013 - 04:16

I like to try zumba because dance is my passion,yeah is a good way to keep your budy in e good shape

Sparky Cuddlekins's picture
Sparky Cuddlekins 26 January, 2013 - 11:26

I dance a lot in order to keep myself fit. Zumba is quite a fun dance and I really enjoy taking online dance classes in YouTube. I'm a yoga beginner too. ;)

m.tayyab's picture
m.tayyab 3 August, 2012 - 06:02

It is new for me. Exercise through Zumba may be good i have no experience about that. Exercise is good for health.

Stargirl's picture
Stargirl 23 July, 2012 - 11:26

My PE teacher at school showed us how to do the Zumba Dance a bit, but that was last month or so. I'm thinking of doing some online Zumba learning soon. I really enjoyed doing that dance...no laws, no stress-just fun!!

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 29 June, 2013 - 13:28

hi Stargirl ! I like so much your account name. I`ve tried Zumba and it`s so FUN !!!