Magazine topic:
Entertainment

The weird & wonderful world of Studio Ghibli

by :
Jane Bristow

Have you ever watched a film about a pilot who’s been turned into a pig in 1930s Italy and is in love with a beautiful (human) cabaret singer?  Or one where a talking cat helps a school girl to escape the king of the land of cats? Maybe you’ve seen a film with a young witch who starts a delivery service? If so then you’ve probably discovered the joys of Studio Ghibli.

Often described as the Japanese answer to Disney, this animation studio has quietly been making spectacular films since 1985 when it was founded by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. However, Studio Ghibli is particularly known for artistic animation and imaginative plots which are popular with adults and children alike. In the last thirty years their films have won international awards and have become recognised for their creativity. Hollywood stars including Anne Hathaway, Christian Bale and Emily Mortimer have all shown their approval and provided English language voices for characters.

The most famous film by the studio is Spirited Away, which is the most successful Japanese film ever and made $27,000,0000 across the world. It also won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature along with numerous other awards. The story follows a ten year-old girl, Chihiro Oginowho, as she accidentally enters another world full of spirits and monsters whilst on the way to a new house with her parents. After her parents are turned into pigs she becomes trapped here and to leave she must escape an evil witch. Like many Studio Ghibli films there’s lots of Japanese folklore in the plot which makes for a really great and unusual film.

My personal favourites include The Cat Returns (featuring the king of the cats) and Porco Rosso (with the pilot who's a pig), but there’s seventeen films in total to watch whatever your age or nationality.

What are your favourite foreign films?

Comments

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 31 March, 2017 - 10:41

My favourite films are:
Bride and prejudice
Maid in manhattan
Maleficient
Struck in love
16 wishes
Narnia 1
Dear John
The notebook
And the duff
Le's miserables

BeautifulGirl's picture
BeautifulGirl 29 July, 2015 - 20:00

I like Studio Ghibli's cartoons a lot. My most favourite cartoon is 'Howl's Moving Castle', the greatest love story. My favourite foreign cartoon is 'Dumbo'. This story tells about a small elephant, that has very big eras, and it teaches to fly. This cartoon was my most favourite cartoon in my childhood, however I like it even today! And my favorite film is 'The Devil Wears Prada'!!!

IloveallinConan's picture
IloveallinConan 25 November, 2014 - 11:41

I love Disney cattoons because princess and prince all very nice. I also love many other cartoons such as:
celebrated detective Conan, ...

Ofeliya96's picture
Ofeliya96 8 May, 2014 - 10:44

I'm a huge fun of Studio Ghibli! I watched all cartoons of this studio and I think that they are works of art! Great graphics, characters and plot grab me from the first seconds of viewing. Howl's Moving Castle (incidentally, the first cartoon of this studio, I looked) is my favorite and I watched it probably 100 times: ) Therefore, I advise everyone to look cartoons of Studio Ghibli!

Crystallized's picture
Crystallized 15 April, 2014 - 20:42

I love Ghibli films. Among my favorites are Princess Mononoke (My first Ghibli film. STILL my favorite.), Spirited Away (Okay, *almost* everybody loves these two.), Howl's moving castle, Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind and The secret world of Arietty.

As for other foreign films... My favorites are the Star Wars franchise, The lord of the rings trilogy and the Hobbit prequels, Mulan and The Lion King (My all time favorite disney movies), The Harry Potter saga, Catching Fire (I had to include these) John Carter (Very underrated, if you ask me), And the batman franchise (Minus the one with Schwarzenegger and Clooney), *I have a special place in my heart for the trilogy directed by Christopher Nolan*. And among my most recent favourites are The Lego Movie and Frozen.

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 21 July, 2013 - 15:06

Unfortunate children,
" ME, KARLI 3",
Musical band,
Il mondo di Patti,
Friends Club,
Friends (comedy film),
Dear John (I have read the book too),
tHE MAGIC STONE
And "Argo", "Amour" are the films of this year

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 18 July, 2013 - 09:09

I love action films like " Parker" , " Fast and Furious'' ; " The Transporter 1, 2 ,3 '' and other films like "A walk to remember '' ; " Dear John" " Fox house" ............

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 19 July, 2013 - 19:35

hi KLEA B i have heard that the film "fast and furious" has the actress RITA ORA.
I haven`t seen the film "a walk to remember" but i have read the book.

ellen's picture
ellen 17 July, 2013 - 10:25

Hello Everyone.
I love watching Disney's films. i like Selena Gomez disney films. My favorite Disney films
~Shake it up~, ~Jessie~, ~Micky mouse~, and Selena Gomez all films.
For example ,~wizards of waverly place~, ~Monte Carlo~ and s.on.and s.on

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 17 July, 2013 - 09:29

Les Miserables with Ann Hathaway and Dirty dancing (especially the last scene) are my favourite musicals

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 14 July, 2013 - 11:59

my fave foreign films are:
AT home alone 1.2.3.
16 wishes
Harry poter 1.2.4.7

ornela-k's picture
ornela-k 12 July, 2013 - 13:51

my favorite films are:
-Isa tk+
-Big time rush
-Victorious
-16 wishes
and every movie of Nickelodeon...

June's picture
June 2 July, 2013 - 16:05

I love watching Disney's films. And maybe I just watch favourite foreign there, besides some horror films that my father sometimes watches and I watch with him (I have to admit that they are very attractive ^_^). My favourite foreign films are:
- Wizards of Waverly Place (thanks to this I know Selena Gomez).
- Good luck Charlie (I'm really impressed by Charlie - Mia. She's so cute!).
- The Suite life on deck (I love the couple Bailey-Cody).
- Princess Diaries (I'm still wondering why she loves 2 different boys in 2 parts?!).
- Enchanted (a "modern" fairy tale).
- Home Alone (I think everybody knows this film. It's too famous).
- The Pacifier (I laughed so much when watching this film).

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 24 June, 2013 - 11:10

I watch too many foerign films like:
-The misterious island
-Step up revolution
-The last song
-White chicks
-Sharpay`s fabulous adventure
-Madagascar
-Street dance
-Puss in boots ecc.
I watch films because they help me to improve my English.
But the most beautiful film in the world for me is "TITANIC"

annahedd's picture
annahedd 23 June, 2013 - 15:30

well all my favorite films are foreign ..as Nataljia said , I watch them to improve my language..My French and my English :D
and here are some of them :
- Enemy at the Gates
-Saving Private Rayan
-Brave Heart
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Franklin
-Knowing
-I'm Legend
and for the French ones:
-Le chat du Rabbin
-Omar M'a Tuée
-Delice Paloma
......etc

Natalija's picture
Natalija 23 June, 2013 - 12:03

I like watching foreign films, especially because they help me to improve my language skills. My favourite ones:
-anything with Audrey Hepburn, especially Breakfast at Tiffany's and Charade
-Suspicion, with Carry Grant
-Manhattan
-Black swan
-Ya sonra? etc.

Jane Bristow's picture
Jane Bristow 14 February, 2014 - 18:35

Hi Natalija, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain is one of my favouite films of all time! This is partly because I find it useful to brush up on my French. Unfortunately I can't do the same for Studio Ghibli films as I don't speak any Japanese...

Jona's picture
Jona 23 June, 2013 - 18:20

I like Princess Diaries and Wild Child. Anyway,I wanted to ask you if have you watched Cadet Kelly,Read It And Weep,Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure,Princess Protection Program,16 Wishes.
I like these films.How about you?

Natalija's picture
Natalija 24 June, 2013 - 14:06

Hi, Jona:)
I haven't watched all those films, just a few. I watched ,Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure, 16 Wishes,and Read It And Weep. I liked it, they're very interesting, especially Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure. I like High School Musical too, Mean Girls and Legally Blonde.
Greetings:)

Jona's picture
Jona 21 June, 2013 - 17:11

Plenty of them.Actually my country doesn't produce lots of films.
My favorite foreign movies: