Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day in your country? In the UK it’s the most romantic day of the year!

February 14th is traditionally a celebration of love, so how do people in the UK mark the occasion?

Cards

Sending a Valentine’s card to a loved one is a custom that started more than a century ago. Couples give cards to each other, but it is also traditional to send an anonymous card to anyone you secretly love. This practice is particularly common in schools and can be a source of great amusement and embarrassment as everyone tries to work out who sent a card and who has a secret admirer! Valentine’s Day symbols on cards include hearts designs, doves, and the figure of the winged angel, Cupid.

Poems

The card might also feature a poem. Probably the most famous lines from a Valentine’s Day poem are:

Roses are red, violets are blue,
Honey is sweet, and so are you.

There are some ironic variations on this poem such as:

Roses are red, violets are blue,
You look like a monkey and smell like one too!

Mobile love

Millions of people use digital means of creating and sending Valentine’s Day greeting messages such as e-cards, social media posts or printable greeting cards. Texting your Valentine message is an easy (although maybe not very romantic!) option. Valentine’s Day text messages include:

• WUBMV – will you be my Valentine
  • xoxoxoxoxo – hugs and kisses
  • LUWAM<3 – love you with all my heart
  • ImRdy4Luv – I’m ready for love
  • :'-) – I’m so happy, I’m crying
  • ILUVU – I love you

Flowers and chocolates

As well as cards, February 14th is also a day for giving gifts. Traditionally, men give chocolates or flowers to their wives or girlfriends. There are lots of websites offering advice on which Valentine’s present to buy. Popular choices include red roses, a box of chocolates, romantic songs, a phone, jewellery, a photo frame or perfume.

Unusual gifts

Some people think that flowers and chocolates seem a little ordinary and so they look for a more unusual gift. For romantic people with plenty of cash, these gifts could include a helicopter flight, a balloon ride, the chance to test-drive a Ferrari or an all-day session at a health club.

Others, however, complain that Valentine’s Day is yet another opportunity for ever-increasing commercialism. For true romantics, the gift of love is enough. Valentine's Day is a popular day to either propose or get married – you’d never forget your wedding anniversary!

Valentine’s Day: love it or hate it?

We asked a few Brits about their views on Valentine’s Day and here’s what they said. Following the tradition of Valentine’s Day, all the comments below are anonymous.

Love it! I always send cards to my mates – and my boyfriend, of course.

I would prefer to go without it. I don’t want gifts or money or anything like that. Knowing that I’m appreciated and that I can make others happy is good enough for me.

I got a card last year – but I still don’t know who sent it. I haven’t got a girlfriend.

My mum sends me a card every year. It’s sort of sweet but I think I’m getting a bit old for that now.

It’s just really humiliating. I’ve never received a Valentine’s card in my life. A day to switch off my phone because I know I’m not going to get any messages.

My boyfriend sent me a text message last year on Valentine’s Day. I suppose that’s kind of romantic but I’d rather have a present or even a real card.

I sent an anonymous Valentine’s card to a boy in my class when I was younger. Then my brother told him it was from me. I was so embarrassed!

I’m single so it’s definitely irritating. It’s too commercial anyway.

If a girl likes me I don’t need to waste money sending her a card just because it’s a tradition.

Chocolates, roses, cards, presents. Bring it on! I love Valentine’s Day!

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day? If not, is there a similar day in your country?

Comments

Kittylove's picture
Kittylove 19 February, 2014 - 21:27

In Turkey only couples and radio stations celebrate it.(In Konya, I don't know other cities a lot)

maybeoneday's picture
maybeoneday 16 February, 2014 - 19:42

I'm from Turkey. We celebrate this day but it's not a tradition to give cards anonymously here.
Couples give presents to each other. But , as you know women more cares about presents so men's presents are much more important than women's present.
Some Turks think that Valentines Day invented by malls :D I agree the shop owners earn a lot money before Valentines Day. :D

Melek's picture
Melek 16 February, 2014 - 18:35

I'm from Turkey. We celebrate valentines day in Turkey.Most of people gives eachother flowers and chocolate. -Dilara

AprilChellz's picture
AprilChellz 16 February, 2014 - 14:09

Hi! In Turkey, we don't celebrate it tradionally but some couples buy each other chocolates, flowers or gifts.

lami narita's picture
lami narita 14 February, 2014 - 12:44

hi everybody i'm from paris we celebrate Valentine's Day and it is very important but i do not like this day a lot i think that love is more than a day :)

syriuslee's picture
syriuslee 10 February, 2014 - 18:23

hallo,
I`m form Poland. In my country , the valentine`s day is celebretet in school, where is a boxes for valentine ;)

MacedonianGirl's picture
MacedonianGirl 7 February, 2014 - 17:26

Hi! I'm from Macedonia.Some people mostly young celebrate Valentine's day ,but older people don't because we have another feast :)

Lucia.M's picture
Lucia.M 4 February, 2014 - 19:51

Hi, I'm Lucia from Italy. Here we celebrate Valentine's day.
The last years I didn't really love it because I didn't have a boyfriend and that day remember me that I was alone.
This year I'm happy because I'have a boyfriend but I'm sorry for the single person.
So I want to say their that everybody find out the love, don't be sad.

Next I want ask you what I could give for my boyfriend ( he is 18 ) for Valentine's day. Thank you. <3

AFK2000's picture
AFK2000 16 December, 2013 - 11:53

I am from Montenegro too :D I didnt know there were so many people signed up on this website.Also we celebrate Valentines Day in my country.

aliaa's picture
aliaa 14 December, 2013 - 00:43

I'm from Egypt we celebrate this day it's most romantic day of the year and couples gives to each other beautiful gifts like flowers ,chocolate and bear

Monsi98's picture
Monsi98 13 December, 2013 - 20:59

Well here at Mexico we celebrate it also with our friends, not only with boyfriends or smthng like that. It´s cool to hang out with my friends!

Marijaa2700's picture
Marijaa2700 1 December, 2013 - 22:11

I am from Montenegro too,Herceg Novi is my town! Valentine's Day we call St. Trifun's Day! I am not fan of Valentine's Day! I guess that is becouse i didn't find my love yet! Will see! :))

lami narita's picture
lami narita 14 February, 2014 - 12:50

hi Marijaa2700 i didn't knew that u call the valentine's day St in Montenegro don't be sad u will fined u'r love :)

Ivonchy8's picture
Ivonchy8 15 November, 2013 - 13:05

I'm from Montenegro , and we don't usually celebrate Valentine’s Day . But anyway I think it is very romantic and I would like to celebrate that ! :)

Arif's picture
Arif 27 October, 2013 - 14:34

i am from pakistan and celebrating valentine day is not forbidden in some urban parts of my county
personally i do not celebrate it because i am still single some time i feel really disappointed for being so lonely

Joanna's picture
Joanna 21 October, 2013 - 20:24

I live in Romania, and this holiday is partially celebrated under the same topic but on another day of February, and of course, it has a different origin, and a different story. Until this point we have adapted to the English Valentine's Day and actually enjoy it to the most! I say that even something so widely spread as love needs to be celebrated. It deserves a day specially dedicated. :))

Jelenaa2's picture
Jelenaa2 21 October, 2013 - 14:58

I think people all around the world celebrate Valentine's day. I'm from Montenegro and we celebrate it. I think this is a great opportunity to express your feelings to people you care about.

ivonayoo's picture
ivonayoo 16 October, 2013 - 20:15

In my country we celebrate Valentines Day, but it is not so popular to send card to your mates or your crush or something. I think it would be cool if we have done that, I mean, it is sweet and lovely. I have never got something like a present or rose, or something, maybe next year. I hope, fingers crossed :))