Vocabulary to help learn the different vegetables.

Which vegetables do you like to eat? Which do you hate?

Comments

Rock_girl's picture
Rock_girl 10 February, 2021 - 09:25

I prefer such vegetables as tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower. As for worst vegetables for me, I don't like celery, ginger and especially pumpkin.

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 6 January, 2021 - 10:06

I like eating all vegetables in the world, because they are yummy and healthy. We can cook them in different ways(boil, fry, bake, steam, roast) with different spices.

KemoF's picture
KemoF 14 November, 2018 - 12:45

Dear Admins

I have a question. Do you say "a large number of vegetableS ARE produced here.." and "a great deal of vegetableS ARE produced here."? I'm not sure if it's plural or singular...

JoModerator's picture
JoModerator 15 November, 2018 - 08:33

Hi KemoF,

Good question!

We say 'a large number of vegetables ARE produced here'. Here 'a large number of' means 'lots of' or 'many', so the verb agrees with 'vegetables' which is plural.

'A great deal of' is usually used with uncountable nouns, eg 'a great deal of money' or 'a great deal of work'. We couldn't use 'a large number of' in these sentences, as money and work are uncountable

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Jo (LearnEnglish team)

KemoF's picture
KemoF 18 November, 2018 - 12:01

Thank you Jo.
BTW, how did you know when to use "a great deal of" and "a large number of" when you were a kid? Were you corrected by someone around you like adults?

JoModerator's picture
JoModerator 20 November, 2018 - 14:58

Hi KemoF,

English is my mother tongue so I didn't learn it in the same way we learn a foreign language. You just sort of know what is correct when you're a child because it comes naturally!

I learned how to explain the rules of English when I became a teacher :)

Best wishes,

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

15520528's picture
15520528 18 March, 2017 - 13:26

i'm Vegetarian, my lunch is have fully onion,potato,tomato,lettuce,pepper,cauliflower, etc.
Vegetable is always good to health,

farzam's picture
2009x
farzam 28 September, 2016 - 18:00

Bitter Pepper or pepper is my favourite vegetable that unfortunately i couldn't fin it in here so hate from aubergine.

miracle1's picture
miracle1 23 June, 2016 - 22:22

I like broccoli especially accompanied with fried egg. I don't like to eat aubergine. By the way, I understand it called "eggplant" too. Is it truth?

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 24 June, 2016 - 10:59

Hi miracle1. Yes, that's right! There are two names. I quite like it, actually - steamed or roasted with garlic :)
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

youaretheonlyone29's picture
youaretheonlyone29 19 March, 2016 - 04:16

Really? I just can't understand why i hate carrot so much :)) BTW, tomato is my favorite, especially tomato sauce xD

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 2 July, 2015 - 05:55

I like all the stuff in vegetables. I mostly eat cooked vegetables though. ツ

Mataco's picture
Mataco 2 July, 2015 - 03:41

I like carrot, potato, pepper, peas, tomato, sweetcorn. I hate aubergine and cauliflower.

StefyDeb's picture
StefyDeb 29 June, 2015 - 23:41

Well, I like eat potatoes, swetcorn, carrots!!! They are mi favourite vegetables!! And the rest I don't like to eat...