Sophie is working in Dubai but Amy was hoping she may be able to ask her a favour.

We use the present perfect simple (have/has + past participle) or present perfect continuous (have/has + been + -ing) to talk about a state or an activity that has a link to the present.

Oh, the present perfect! It’s quite tricky!

Well, no, it’s quite logical, but it does have different uses. We often use present perfect for talking about something which happened in the past which is important now.

My Chinese teacher has given me some homework. (= I have the homework to do now.)
I’ve forgotten. (= I can’t remember now.)
She’s broken her leg. (= Her leg is still broken now.)

We also use present perfect with just for talking about a recent action.

Oliver’s just made a cake.

So that’s important now because I could have some cake?

Yes, that could be the reason. But with just for recent actions we usually use present perfect, anyway.

OK, but why can’t I say ‘Ollie’s been making a cake’?

You could, but then the focus would be more on the action rather than the result. Maybe you are explaining why the kitchen is in a mess. We use the present perfect simple more when there is a result in the present (like the cake) and the present perfect continuous more when the action is important.

Umm, OK. So you would say ‘She’s been travelling a lot recently.’

Exactly. Because we’re more interested in the action than the result.

Is the present perfect only used for recent events?

No, not at all. We also use it for life experiences which happened at any time in the past. The person’s life, which continues in the present, is the link to the present.

She’s won an award.
Sophie has been to Berlin before.

So, she could have been to Berlin last month or ten years ago?

Exactly, we don’t know when and it isn’t important. If you wanted to say when, you would have to use the past simple: Sophie went to Berlin ten years ago.

We also use the present perfect for actions or states that are unfinished.

Your mum’s been writing her blog for years now, hasn’t she?

She is still writing the blog now, so the action isn’t complete.

Could I say ‘She’s written her blog for years’?

No. We usually use the present perfect continuous for talking about the length of time something goes on for, with phrases like for years, for a long time, etc.

What about using still, already and yet?

We use already to talk about something which has been done, and usually this is surprising to the speaker.

Wow, that was quick! You’ve finished your homework already.

Yet is mainly used in questions and negatives to talk about something which hasn’t happened, but which you thought would happen in the past and you expect to happen in the future.

I haven’t had time yet.
Have you seen
her new blog yet?

We use still to talk about something which is going on longer than you expect.

They’ve been doing things with that computer for ages, but they still haven’t fixed it.

OK, I feel like I’ve been understanding more about the present perfect today.

Oh, sorry, you can’t say ‘I’ve been understanding’. Do you remember when we looked at the present continuous? There are certain verbs, called state verbs, which we don’t usually use in the continuous form – verbs for talking about emotions, thinking, existing, appearing, possession and the senses.

Oh, yes. You gave me a list of them.

That’s right, they’re in the Grammar Snack on the present continuous.

Right, I’ll look at them again. Well, we’ve been talking for ages

For a few minutes!

Yes, but I’ve learned a lot.

Excellent – you used present perfect continuous with a length of time and present perfect simple with a result!

What have you been doing today?

Comments

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 24 June, 2016 - 11:38

Hi! Thanks for your question and getting us all thinking.

Actually, it's also correct to say 'I've spoken to your secretary today', as you suggest. If this were an exam question, they would probably say that 'I've spoken' is the correct answer. However, in real English use, it's totally acceptable to say 'I spoke', especially in American English (compared to British English).

It seems that the past simple is gradually becoming used more in present perfect sentences. You might hear people saying things like these:

• My friend just messaged me.
  • Did you have lunch already?
  • I didn't receive it yet.

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

clp920's picture
clp920 24 June, 2016 - 13:29

I'll take a note of it. Thank you for the details which I'd have never found in other sites! I love your website! Especially your Team and its responses to my never-ending questions.

BARMAR's picture
BARMAR 2 April, 2016 - 05:01

I've been listening and doing my exercises of english for my course of english by my IPad.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 16 February, 2016 - 16:36

Hi Nika2002! That's good. Have you tried the exercises yet? If you're looking for something new to learn, there are lots more Grammar Snack videos in this section. Happy studying :)
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

AkmalHazim's picture
AkmalHazim 6 February, 2016 - 14:10

For today,i already finish my mathematics class tuition on this morning.At evening,my friends and i played football at the field near with my house.

Beyza1907's picture
Beyza1907 17 January, 2016 - 18:23

I have been today go to cinema with My friends . They are very funny . I love their. I know all coments wrote the " I love their" because I have lots of nice people:)

alisik9898's picture
alisik9898 17 December, 2015 - 10:20

So, I have been learning English for 2 years.
But my English is not very good.
I have already done my English, Russian, literature and math homework.
It seems, I understand the topic of these tenses. It is important to learn differences between Pr.Perfect Simple and Pr. Perfect Cont.
Good luck!!!!!!

NyoNyo's picture
NyoNyo 13 December, 2015 - 08:16

I always make mistakes between present perfect simple and present perfect continuous when I do grammar exercises.Thank you,British Council for uploading this video.It really helps me

mahfuz's picture
mahfuz 22 October, 2015 - 17:13

Well.. it's quite difficult for me to understand present perfect tense. I don't know why. Sometimes I've forgotten. But I keep practicing..

Ken's picture
Ken 8 September, 2015 - 16:37

Hi, are you bored now? Or is this site boring to you?? -Pigs might fly!
What have you been doing these days?
Σ(・ω・´ )

Ken's picture
Ken 4 August, 2015 - 10:10

I've finished math homewoek already, yet today I've been doing English homework......
✧*。ヾ(。>﹏<。)ノ゙✧*。

cristophersaa's picture
cristophersaa 8 July, 2015 - 17:28

I've been watching the soccer game and I have been doing my English homework too.

nandosc9's picture
nandosc9 7 July, 2015 - 02:41

I have been playing in my PC and doing my English homework...
Ah! Also I have been watching "One Piece" :D

stephania1799's picture
stephania1799 7 July, 2015 - 01:33

I have been watching the news about the pope and I have been doing my homeworks too.

fernanda2000's picture
fernanda2000 6 July, 2015 - 04:19

I have been learning english, I have been doing this exercises and
I have been doing my homework

JennySam's picture
JennySam 5 July, 2015 - 22:46

I have been watching movies all the day, and I have been doing my english homework.

Ken's picture
Ken 4 July, 2015 - 13:34

Can I say like this: 'I've been exercising at a gym twice a week these days' ?
  ∧ ∧