Listen to the radio interview about high-achieving teenagers and do the exercises to practise and improve your listening skills.

Right-click on the link, and save the file.

Do you think Justin Bieber and Tavi Gevinson deserve their success, or are they just lucky?

Comments

KillerMike's picture
KillerMike 5 October, 2021 - 15:03

despite disliking Justin Bieber, I have to give a prob to him, but who is Tavi Gevinson? In the end of the day, I have to say, they are both young talented people, with their bold mindsets they earn their success in a respectful way.

Elpro202's picture
Elpro202 2 August, 2021 - 02:21

Obviously. People who work hard every day to achieve their goals must have success.
We all know that luck and a good advertising are crucial to get to more people and become famous but, anyway, they deserve their success.

Lich's picture
Lich 29 May, 2021 - 08:10

To be honest, I think Justin Bieber and Tavi Gevinson deserve their success. They achieved success because they were unrelenting. They were ready to get criticized and improve their undertaking. Actually, a bit of luck was also included in their success.

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 25 February, 2021 - 07:09

I believe, everyone deserves to be successful. It's about the talent and hard working. Practice makes perfect! I think, all people have some talents, they just need to be explored by a person. Don't be scared to try doing something in order to find out the things you really enjoy and have some abilities in. Don't care if someone tells you it's impossible to achieve the success in some exact area. Sometimes people do nothing to become a professional so they will try to make you feel the same as they feel and to be the same as they are. You always should remember that all the people in the world have treir own way and you will find yours. Just keep improve yourself continuuosly and you will be rewarded.

Kalenkhoe's picture
Kalenkhoe 18 August, 2020 - 14:33

I believe, their talent plus luck got them where they are today. They worked smartly using technology and were consistent. Besides everyone deserves success.

BibekSanjeev's picture
BibekSanjeev 20 July, 2020 - 17:55

I know Justin Bieber as he has a very talented voice and I personally like his songs. But hearing of Tavi Gevinson I think she too deserved fame.

s1rko's picture
s1rko 24 May, 2020 - 17:27

I believe that they deserve their popularity because few teenagers can boast of their achievements as they do. But it doesn't make sense to equate them with other famous people like Obama. These are generally different people and do different things. I think Justin and Tavi have a great future.

jnb2005's picture
jnb2005 27 January, 2020 - 16:32

I think that they deserve their success because people wouldn't have noticed them if they didn't have talent, and they both worked really hard so that they were able to have the opportunity of being discovered.

aaryaibtedafoyez's picture
aaryaibtedafoyez 8 April, 2019 - 05:30

I think Justin Bieber and Tavi Gevinson deserve their success because they're talented and they tried their best to be more talented. They worked hard so they deserve their success.They made a vigorous effort before becoming famous, Justin with his video on youtube and Tavi with her rookie blog, they're not just lucky but are also talented.

bilko's picture
-2x
bilko 27 June, 2018 - 11:58

I agree that both Justin and Tavi are talented but in my opinion, good luck is also a very important factor for becoming famous...

Lola12g's picture
Lola12g 20 August, 2017 - 16:39

In this listening two people talk about how some artists use the internet to express themselfs and how some of them became successful.
First, they talk about Justin Biever, who started his career in YouTube and now is very influential to teenagers and has more followers than Obama in twitter.
Then, they talk about a girl who started a fashion blog and became a famous magazine writter with over a million readers every week.

Justin_Seagull's picture
Justin_Seagull 26 June, 2017 - 03:14

I think Justin Bieber and Tavi Gevinson deserve success. They not only work hard but also they have talented. However, it's possible that Justin has lucky because he is recogized talent through a short video on Youtube. So he receives traning the he debuts. :)) It's my opinions.

mikiihwang's picture
2056x
mikiihwang 19 April, 2017 - 11:12

danban's picture
danban 14 April, 2017 - 18:53

I think Justin Bieber and Tavi Gevinson have lucky, because they made few an effort before becoming famous, Justin with his video on youtube and tavi with her rookie blog, they're just lucky.

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20516x
Tina - Coordinator 31 December, 2016 - 08:50

Hi llangaroro!
Thanks for letting us know. I've just tested the audio and it's working fine for me. Perhaps you could refresh the page or try a different browser? Don't forget there is also a transcript to read if you are still having problems with hearing it. Do let us know if you are still having problems ...
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

paulapr02's picture
paulapr02 11 July, 2016 - 11:35

I think Justin Bieber is really talented! I visited Tavi's website it's really professional and interesting. You have to visit it!!

juggernaut's picture
juggernaut 11 June, 2016 - 12:22

I think Tavi Gevinson copletely deserves his succees.She had really bright ideas even tough she did not have enough experience.We can explain it with her abilities.But on the other hand Justin Bieber's success in not only come from his abilities.We can even say if he was less good-looking,he would be not as fomous as he is now.

javi8's picture
javi8 25 May, 2016 - 22:52

According with this question I think that they deserve their succes, but also they've had good luck because they have born in a time where you can show your talent through apps as youtube, twitter, blogs and so on, so is easier for them to achieve the succes, in this sense I consider that they have had good luck, however it is obvious that they have a natural talent and as a result they deserve their succes

Aiana178's picture
Aiana178 21 June, 2016 - 16:09

Of course, YouTube and blogging were just appearing at that time, but it didn't occur to everyone that they could post videos on YouTube or start a blog. They did something that no one had tried before, so I think that they deserve their success.

Fruggstrix's picture
Fruggstrix 21 October, 2015 - 12:47

Well, i think that Tavi got famous because well, People first thought that she had an interesting style of taste. Then they wondered how she got slightly popular at such a young age, and that made her grow more and more. And Justin Bieber probably also started growing because of his age, and after that when he finally got popular girls (that is mostly his fan base) just because he is famous and young.

A great discussion to bring up.

HW's picture
HW 27 September, 2015 - 11:08

This 2 characters is very talented in different ways.One of them is very good at singing.One of them is very good at design.Despite of their different hobbies,in my opinion,they deserve their their success.

sssaleh's picture
1906x
sssaleh 12 July, 2015 - 22:40

I think they deserve their success . Bcz they try to do anything and when they started it is not was easy as you think .so I think they work hard to be success

iva10's picture
iva10 15 June, 2015 - 15:50

I don't like Justin Bieber or Tavi Gevinson. I don't like Justin because he's been arrested :-(