Look at the pie chart, exam question and sample answer and do the exercises to improve your writing skills.

What devices do you use to go online?

Comments

Cfvdv's picture
Cfvdv 1 June, 2021 - 14:58

I usually, use more my smartphone to go online. But sometimes I use my laptop to go too, I think this two devices are easier to carry in a bag, for example.

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 21 February, 2021 - 13:53

I prefer using a laptop and a smartphone to go online, because of the size of these devices. It's very convinient to carry the smartphone in your pocket or even the laptop. I don't have a desktop, because it needs more space and the price of it is high. If in the future I need bigger device than I have now, I'll definitely purchase a desktop.

rafaelyeshua's picture
rafaelyeshua 22 December, 2020 - 21:39

i used to use computers however, this year i've got a smartphone, but i use more often the computers

Highflyer2020's picture
Highflyer2020 30 August, 2020 - 10:42

All the people in the world use new technology with devices like smartphones, laptops, tablets, and desktop computers. And I use to go online on my smart phone and I use my old computer. I don't use my tablet because it has broken. Generally, I think those devices are really useful to everyone who wants to go ahead with new technology.

Mamou1's picture
Mamou1 24 August, 2020 - 12:26

I always use my computer to go online because it's simple for me to do search in it but in other case When I'm outside like in a park I prefer use my phone it practical and useful. so in conclusion, I use more my computer to go online .

helenblack's picture
helenblack 28 July, 2020 - 09:32

Now, I always use my laptop or my smartphone to go online but when I was about 10 years old, I always my tablet for it.

Andrii's picture
Andrii 24 June, 2020 - 19:02

Unlike the others, I spend the most of my internet with my laptop, then comes my mobile phone and at the last place is my tablet. I use my internet for tablet almost never. And I don't use internet with the desktop computer because I simply don't have it. I use my laptop instead of it. Additionally it's portable and I can use it anywhere (if it's charged :D). It's a big advantage for me.

lancer's picture
lancer 7 December, 2019 - 22:19

Of course i use my smartphone to go online.

Here is a writing about people's preferred devices for going online.

People were asked about their preffered devices for accessing the internet.
This pie chart show the information how people prefer to access the internet with their devices.
The devices are shown in red, blue, green and purple.
People prefer to use smartphones and laptops to go online, with a difference of 3 percent between the two.
Nearly a third use smartphone to access the internet and thirty pecent of people prefer using laptops.
Tablet accounts for 19 percent of users' preferred devices and 14 percent of people go online using desktop computers.
so the desktop computers is the last in terms of four devices.
Small minority use other devices.

In conclusion, it is clear that majority of people use smartphones and laptops.
We can expect to see more people accessing the internet with smartphones as they preferred choice.

Thu's picture
-1x
Thu 14 July, 2019 - 07:27

When I wanna go online, I need to ask mom to open tablet. Because she locks the password until I've done the homework she makes for me. My life is that, does anyone has a mom like me?

parsasoroori's picture
parsasoroori 16 January, 2019 - 16:31

In terms of the survey, I believe people really need a new gadget which can be used as cellphone and laptop. People are more comfortable with laptops but cellphones are easier to carry and more accessible. Maybe in 2020

MariaLean's picture
MariaLean 17 February, 2018 - 17:33

Smartphone received a higher percentage because of its accessibility, wide and easy use. Almost all people now have their own phones.

zilale's picture
zilale 11 July, 2017 - 04:51

Actually,I have two questions First one : In the exercises 2 there is a sentence "the devices are shown in red, green ,purple and blue" Is "are shown"a tense?
and second one is: " A desktop computer accounts for %14 of users' preferred devices" There is " a "for beginning so why add "s" for "account"world?

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 11 July, 2017 - 14:23

Hi zilale,

Yes, ‘are shown’ is a tense. It’s the present tense – in the passive form (am/is/are + past participle). You can learn more about passive forms in our Grammar Snack.

For your other question, ‘accounts’ has an ‘s’ at the end because it’s not a noun here, it’s a verb (to account for something = to explain something or be the reason for something). And, it’s in the ‘it’ form (it = a desktop computer) so it needs to have an ‘s’ in the present tense.

Does that make sense? :)

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

BRPACEBOGEORGY's picture
BRPACEBOGEORGY 16 April, 2017 - 01:05

I usually use my phone to connect to the internet, but I also use my tablet as it is larger than my phone.

someone003's picture
someone003 24 June, 2016 - 19:57

hallo everyone!!! I usually use my android to go online.
I also have one question how can I score points in this site..

kleine_goga's picture
kleine_goga 8 June, 2016 - 11:23

I used to destop Computer until the last year, now I prefer a laptop or smartphone.

MariaLean's picture
MariaLean 17 February, 2018 - 17:35

me too! laptop is easier and more convenient to use. smartphone's ok but when I do research, laptop is more reliable.