Can you or any of your friends drive? Sam and his friends are going out in the car. But things don't go exactly to plan ...

Have you ever broken down? Where were you? What happened?

Comments

hermione123's picture
hermione123 10 January, 2021 - 13:50

Hi!
I have a question, could anyone please answer it. If someone replies or up votes my comment, will there any notification for me?
Thanks a lot :)

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20533x
Tina - Coordinator 11 January, 2021 - 09:21

Hi hermione 123,

You won't get a notification but you can check replies/upvotes.

Just after logging into the site, you'll see the 'My account' screen. Or if you're already logged in, you can click on 'My account' in the top left. Then, if you click on the 'Track' tab it'll show any replies on pages where you've commented. If you click on 'Points', it'll show any upvotes your comments have got.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Tina (LearnEnglish Teens team)
dundun's picture
dundun 16 June, 2020 - 09:56

I was driving my quadbike, and it run out out of fuel, so i was have to go and push my quad bike to my home few km.

Chocomint's picture
Chocomint 12 August, 2019 - 14:05

I don’t have any car but I have a motorbike. I remember that my motorbike broke down while I was going to my friend’s party. It was 7 p.m and I walked around with my motorbike to find a place to repair it. It was an hour after this bad thing happened I went to the party

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 12 May, 2017 - 08:08

Hi Snapcupcake. There are several differences. Here are some common ones.

• Grammar: British English uses the present perfect tense when American English would use the past simple. For example, if I ask 'Would you like something to eat?' a British speaker would say 'No, I've already eaten' and an American speaker would say 'No, I already ate'.
  • Vocabulary: A few words are different. For example, a British person would say 'autumn', 'petrol' and 'flat' while an American speaker would say 'fall', 'gas' and 'apartment'.
  • Spelling: British English words (e.g. theatre, colour, catalogue) are slightly different in American English (theater, color, catalog).
  • Pronunciation: this is slightly different too.

For more detail have a look at our LearnEnglish page for adult students on this topic.

But, even though there are differences, many, many other things are the same.

What type of English are you learning? :)

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Nandini's picture
Nandini 1 July, 2020 - 22:15

I really want to learn British English, I try speaking like British people. It is so fascinating

Snapcupcake's picture
Snapcupcake 21 April, 2017 - 08:42

i haven't got a car and never broke down
But what is the difference between Kids/Teens??
:D

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 22 April, 2017 - 09:56

Hi Snapcupcake! Thanks for all your comments :) 'Kids' is an informal word for children, which could include teenagers as well. 'Teens' is short for teenagers, so just refers to young people aged 13 to 17. Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)

mmm_MMM's picture
mmm_MMM 4 December, 2016 - 20:53

I have broken down recently when I learned that my history test was postponed. I've studied the whole weekend and now I need to do it again :/

choclatteyes's picture
choclatteyes 17 November, 2014 - 20:06

We were going to the shopping centre and suddenly a car crushed through our car! We were just shocked but at least everybody was okey but our car wasn't.It was broken down.Anyway,the driver of the car who crushed our car paid the money of the car's damage.

Dia's picture
Dia 21 June, 2014 - 20:23

Yes , I was in a bus, I went go home from school ....and the bus broke down...This happened in Bistrita, Romania...