Here are some tips to help you remember vocabulary:
- Keep an organised vocabulary notebook.
- Look at the words again after 24 hours, after one week and after one month.
- Read, read, read. The more times you ‘see’ a word the more easily you will remember it.
- Use the new words. You need to use a new word about ten times before you remember it!
- Do word puzzles and games like crosswords, anagrams and wordsearches.
- Make word cards and take them with you. Read them on the bus or when you are waiting for your friends.
- Learn words with a friend. It can be more fun and easier to learn with someone else.
- Learn how to use a dictionary. What information is next to a word in the dictionary? Do you know the different types of dictionary?
- Learn a few words but not too many. About eight new words a day is a good number.
How do you learn new words? Can you share a tip with us?
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.