Sophie is working in Rome this week. Oliver, Alfie and Daisy have decided to eat out tonight.

When we want to compare two or more things, we can change the form of adjectives by adding –er or –est. We can also use extra words like more or most and expressions like not as … as.

Here are some examples:

I think you're taller than me. (tall)
She's the tallest in the group. (tall)
The pizzas in La Bella Napoli are better than the ones in Pietro's. (good)
It was the best pizza I've ever had! (good)
People say Bioshock is a more exciting game than Skyrim. (exciting)
Grand Theft Auto is the most exciting video game. (exciting)

Mmm, I don't quite see what the rule is here.

With most one-syllable adjectives, we add –er or est, and with most adjectives with two syllables or more, we add more or (the) most. In comparatives, we also use than before the second thing which is compared, if it is mentioned.

La Bella Napoli is nearer than Pietro's. (near)
It's not the cheapest restaurant though. (cheap)

With one-syllable adjectives ending in vowel + consonant, remember to double the final consonant before –er/est.

big bigger biggest

If the adjective ends in –e, just add –r or st.

large larger largest

So what are the exceptions, apart from good better best?

Other exceptions are bad worse worst and far further/farther furthest/farthest.

They use the worst cheese.

What about adjectives ending in –y, like crazy? My brother is crazier than me.

Yes, that's correct. With adjectives ending in y, you change the y to i and add er/ est.

lucky luckier luckiest             happy happier happiest

They've got the friendliest waiters!

With most adjectives with typical adjective endings, and with two or more syllables, you use more/most + adjective.

They do the most disgusting pasta I've ever tasted.

What other ways of comparing things are there?

We often use not as … as.

I'm not as tall as you. (= I'm smaller than you)
Maybe the pizza at La Bella Napoli isn't as good as I remember.

And what about less and least?

Yes, less and least are also ways of comparing things. They are used more in writing.

It is less cold in the north of the country than in the south. (the north is warmer, but both north and south are cold)
Of the four participants, Bill is the least experienced. (the other three have more experience)

OK, this isn't as hard as I thought. I think I've got it, more or less.

Which meal do you think is tastier, fish and chips or pizza? Where do you get the best pizza where you live?

Comments

beasam0109's picture
beasam0109 20 March, 2020 - 10:30

Hi, I'm beatrice and I much prefer pizza than fish. In London I tasted fish and chips but I didn't like it very much, while pizza is my favorite dish.

JasmineD03's picture
JasmineD03 20 March, 2020 - 10:20

Personally I can say that the tastiest meal is definitely pizza. I live in Turin and I can say that here you can find many very good pizzerias, but one of the best you can find it in a restaurant called ''Pizza Ad Hoc'', it's super good.

Desy's picture
Desy 19 March, 2020 - 16:21

I like both dishes, but I prefer pizza, because it is one of the typical dishes of my country. Where I live the best pizza is from Pizzalandia.

MatildePace's picture
MatildePace 18 March, 2020 - 17:09

In my opinion the tasty meal is pizza. I love pizza, it's my favorite food. I don't like fish, but I tested fish and chips and I liked it but nothing compared to pizza. My favorite pizza is Margherita, with only tomato and mozzarella, because it's simple and I like simple things. The best place to eat pizza where I live is at Salsa Rossa, a restaurant near my house.

giorgia_marchetti's picture
giorgia_marchetti 20 March, 2020 - 14:25

Pizza is my favourite food,i love it. I usually eat 1 time a week. My favourite pizza is Margherita. My favourite pizza is my grandmother pizza, she’s really good to cook

_auro_'s picture
_auro_ 20 March, 2020 - 13:52

In my opinion the tasty food between the two is pizza.
I love pizza! This is my favorite dish besides ice cream.
My favorite pizza is the one with ham.
I tasted fish and chips in London, but pizza is better anyway.
The best place when I eat the best pizza is in Naples.

Daniela's picture
Daniela 4 November, 2019 - 03:38

I love pizza is my favorite food, and french fries are more delicious than fish but eating potatoes and fish at the same time there is a possibility that it is tastier than pizza.

Zyanmi's picture
Zyanmi 4 November, 2019 - 01:59

My favorite dish is pizza, I prefer Hawaiian pizza and it is very toasted. I like to buy pizza at a local stand in my neighborhood, although sometimes I like to cook pizza

Nicbrey's picture
Nicbrey 3 November, 2019 - 22:47

I think that the most tasty food, is the pizza, because the fish has a high probability of descomposing in 3 days, and the fries contain a high salt content, even more tan pizza, the best pizza here in mexico is the pizza domino's and in any domino's Branch you can find.

BH's picture
BH 3 November, 2019 - 21:57

i think pizza is more delicious than fish and chips because sometimes fish doesn´t taste good, sometimes chips has a lot of fat, pizza has melted cheese, and lots of tasty ingredients.

LuCF10's picture
LuCF10 3 November, 2019 - 19:10

I think pizza is much better than the fish and chips because I personally don't like sea food. My favorite place to eat pizza is Domino's in addition to the complements they sell there are delicious like papotas and canelazos

Morrogomes123's picture
Morrogomes123 3 November, 2019 - 18:53

I can eat fish and chips, but I really don't love it or enjoy it if I eat pizza is another thing I love to eat any pizza from anywhere they sell them, but my favorite and i consider the best pizza ever is in a place of puerto escondido is pizza with a style italinann

JULIO_GUZMAN's picture
JULIO_GUZMAN 2 November, 2019 - 18:03

It is hard to choose but I think that pizza is my favorite, the tastiest pizza that I have eaten in Mexico City is on "Pizza del perro negro".

AngelMiranda's picture
AngelMiranda 2 November, 2019 - 03:00

I like the pizza. It is tastier than fish. I also like chips, but not as much as pizza. However, I know that the healthiest of the three is fish.

empty's picture
empty 24 April, 2019 - 09:42

I've never eaten fish and chips before so I don't know how does it taste like.But in my opinion,pizza(especially the cheese) is yummy.can u explain me what actually fish and chips is? thanks a dozen times!!!!!!

JoModerator's picture
JoModerator 25 April, 2019 - 13:43

Hi empty,

Fish and chips is a very popular meal in the UK. The fish is fried in batter (a sort of crispy coating) and it's seved with chips (fried potatoes).

If you'd like to find out more about fish and chips, have a look at this blog post!

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

FastAmulet1001's picture
FastAmulet1001 11 April, 2019 - 12:23

I prefer pizza because is very good. In my town the best pizza is in restaurant Italiana.

CoolCrystal90's picture
CoolCrystal90 11 April, 2019 - 12:23

I think that pizza is better than fish and chips because pizza so very good. in my town the best pizza is in restaurant Italiana.

September's picture
September 23 August, 2018 - 00:38

I usually prefer pizza over fish and chips but there is a place in Beechworth that sell the most tasty fish and chips ever! There is also a shop called Don Giovanni’s in Wangaratta that sells really nice Pizza.

Songzer's picture
Songzer 23 June, 2017 - 13:04

Hey fish and chips meal is certainly scrumptious for me other than pizza. I use to get this meal right here in my village at Cost Valley

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 10 June, 2017 - 17:58

I do prefer pizza. My friend is a huge fan of pizza, and it's all in the cheese for her! But she never prefers the pizza here, and always haves them in Paris. I don't know, I didn't visit Paris, bit all I could say is that pizza isn't what it tasted like anymore. So... Fish and chips, here I come!!! :)))

MyStudyCoachJonas's picture
MyStudyCoachJonas 9 May, 2017 - 00:36

my dog is the fastest in the family but he is also the craziest. : )

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 5 April, 2017 - 13:57

Hi nastyazefda. Which sentence do you mean? Is it this one?

• OK, this isn't as hard as I thought. I think I've got it, more or less.

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)