Oliver and Alfie both love watching cooking programmes on TV. Just for fun, they are preparing to have their own ‘Master Chef’ competition at home.

Have got (have/has + got) is used to talk mainly about possessions or personal attributes.

Give me some examples, please.

Certainly, here you are:

I've got a new computer.
They haven't got any red chilli peppers.
She's got long, brown hair.
He hasn't got many friends.

So the negative is have/has + not + got?

Yes, but don't forget the contraction.

Daisy hasn't got her books yet.
You haven't got 50 p, have you?

Is has got only used for things?

No, it's also used for timetabled events or illnesses.

I've got swimming practice at seven.
Fred's got a terrible cold.

You can use have got for abstract things too.

I've got an idea for the weekend.
I've got all the inspiration I need ... up here!

Can I use have got in the past? For example: I had got a racing bicycle when I was younger.

No, it's only used in the present tense. For the past you use had without got.

I had a racing bicycle.

What about the question form?

You use have/has + subject + got.

Have you got everything you need?
Have we got any red chilli peppers at home?
Have you got a minute?

Hang on a minute, I've heard Do you have … ? a lot too.

Yes, have got is more used in British English and have is more American. The question and negative form is different with have – you need to use the auxiliary do/does.

I have two sisters. (American English)
Do you have change for ten dollars? (American English)
He doesn't have a clue about soccer. (American English)

You will hear British people use have as well as have got.

Anything else I should know?

OK, I've got it now!

Very clever! Yes, you can also use have got to mean 'understand'.

Have you got any good ideas about how to improve your English grammar? Share your ideas here.

Comments

cherry00's picture
cherry00 23 July, 2022 - 14:26

The best way to improve is doing exercises and watching videos but you can also watch films in english or listen english songs. An other way is talking to someone who speak english to practise.

Baldbanana's picture
Baldbanana 11 July, 2022 - 13:34

The best way to improve my grammar will be practicing. Watching different videos, doing exercises or just reading something. Also movies can help.

FlowerQueen's picture
FlowerQueen 25 June, 2021 - 19:43

Hi!

I learn English at school and that's enough for me. Grammar is not too difficult so far for me.

liz15's picture
liz15 9 June, 2021 - 21:12

I think a good way to improve my English grammar is to study with exercises from this web page, do exercises that I invented, read books and articles, watch videos with subtitles.

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 15 March, 2021 - 18:03

I haven't got a whole list of ideas to improve my inglish, but I think if I keep doing those activities, reding some english books and maybe even watch some movies, my english can improve very well.

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 22 January, 2021 - 10:23

I have a wonderful idea how to improve my English grammar! Are you ready to know it, my friends? Just keep using this website and your English grammar will be better day by day.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 1 January, 2021 - 00:55

hello!
everyday I search new vocabularies and write it on my notebook to improve my english. i think that method really helpful.

11mo's picture
11mo 30 October, 2020 - 09:45

Yes, I have got an idea to improve my English Grammar. My idea is using this English Teen . Also I will read more English books .

Line_Sun's picture
Line_Sun 14 October, 2020 - 00:02

I think that better way to improve my engilsh grammar is see movies and practice my speak with friends. .

Luna's picture
Luna 12 August, 2020 - 08:49

Yes , l have some idea to improve english grammar
l listening music english songs like UK or US
Watching the movies or films

zagrybast's picture
zagrybast 6 August, 2020 - 12:09

Sorry, I didn’t understand. What’s the difference between “do you have” and “have you got”. When I need to use first and second sentences?

JoModerator's picture
JoModerator 8 August, 2020 - 08:53

Hi zagrybast,

We use 'have got' to talk about possession, relationships, characteristics and illnesses.

You can also just use 'have' - they mean the same thing.

'Have got' is more used in British English and 'have' is more American.

In British English we use 'have got' more in speaking and 'have' more in writing – it's a little more formal.

I hope that helps.

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

TR790's picture
TR790 22 May, 2020 - 12:48

In my opinion, we can improve our English Grammar by watching English movies, studying, chatting with friends in English and using this website.
Thanks

Sherry4869's picture
Sherry4869 11 May, 2020 - 14:53

I didn’t understand this rule:(In British English we use have got more in speaking and have more in writing – it's a little more formal.)...

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20507x
Tina - Coordinator 12 May, 2020 - 12:53

Hi Sherry4869,

We use 'have got' when we speak  - 'I've got a new computer' but if I was to write the same sentence in an email I would write - I have a new computer.

Best wishes,
Tina (LearnEnglish Teens team)

FedericoB8's picture
FedericoB8 25 March, 2020 - 18:05

yes, I have got many ideas, i think watching movies whith subtitles and reading books may help me to improve my English grammar.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 1 January, 2021 - 01:03

hi, FedericoB8!
great advices. thanks a lot. and, I think listening to podcast and pronouncing tounge twisters would really helping, what do you think?

marchese's picture
marchese 23 March, 2020 - 08:44

Yes, I think it would be good for me talk a lot with people who speak fluent English, to read books written in English and one thing I already do is try to translate the songs into italian only by listening to them.

Micheleanto's picture
Micheleanto 20 March, 2020 - 17:23

Yes, I have.
Speak a lot with stranger people who study english too (but not English people). You shuoldn’t be scary because anybody can judge you and you speak applying the grammar rules about verbs and other elements.

BttChiara's picture
BttChiara 20 March, 2020 - 15:28

Yes, I have. Some ideas to improve my grammar English are : listening English songs, watching films in English, speaking for 10 minutes in English every day and when we are in holiday (ex. London, Madrid etc.) trying to speak in English.

asiasantin's picture
asiasantin 20 March, 2020 - 15:26

Surely English grammar is improved by studying and learning more and more things, including training in speaking

ballerinichiara's picture
ballerinichiara 20 March, 2020 - 14:57

I have got some idea that they can improve my english grammar. Maybe I have to do more exercise on my book and I can listen english music.

bea_mara's picture
bea_mara 20 March, 2020 - 14:48

To improve my grammar, in my opinion it would be very useful to read books in English or to see films or a TV series in the original language with English subtitles

Naogiosu7's picture
Naogiosu7 20 March, 2020 - 13:35

I so sorry, but i haven't no idea for improve english gramar. Maybe when i know the english every we'll i will have ideas

rrfalletto's picture
rrfalletto 20 March, 2020 - 13:09

Yes, i have some ideas to improve my English. One of this is watching series tv in English, or reading books in English