Oliver and Alfie are at home when Daisy and Amy arrive. Sophie is in Hammerfest in northern Norway.

We use adverbs of frequency – like sometimes or usually – to say how often we do things, or how often things happen.

I never have any problems with adverbs of frequency.

OK, let's see what you know. We use adverbs of frequency in this order, according to their meaning.

100%           0%
always usually/normally often sometimes occasionally hardly ever never

Are there any missing?

I think that’s most of them. You could include frequently, with usually. We use not very often too.

Very good, you’re right. These are the most common adverbs, although there are more.

They always hang out together.
The Northern Lights are usually green.
You normally see them best in September or March.
It’s often cloudy.

What do you notice about the position of the adverbs?

They are usually before the main verb, or between the auxiliary and the main verb. But they come after the verb to be.

Excellent! Can they also be at the beginning or the end of the sentence?

Yes, I think so. 'Sometimes I'm alone.' That sounds OK.

Yes, we can use some adverbs of frequency at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis.

Occasionally I meet her for a coffee.

We can use usually, often, sometimes and occasionally at the beginning of a sentence, and sometimes and often at the end. We use adverb expressions like a lot or not + (very) much after the main verb too.

She travels a lot.
He doesn’t study very much.

Be careful with never. It is already negative, so we can’t use it with not.

I never go to the supermarket with my mother.

I’ve just remembered some more expressions! What about once a week, twice a year, etc.?

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about those.

Take the medicine three times a day.
We usually go swimming twice a month.
You see them once in a lifetime, if you travel.

You see, I’m not always annoying.

OK, sorry. I’m not always right either. Usually, but not always!

Grammar:

What are your hobbies? How often do you do them?

Comments

paradise_2006's picture
paradise_2006 4 September, 2020 - 19:54

hi, I'm Chamudi and i don't have a specific hobby. i love singing, dancing, reading and drawing portraits and listening to music. Plus I love learning different languages. I'm currently learning Korean, French, Japanese. I'm a huge potter-head <3 and Shadowhunter fan. and I'M IN LOVE WITH K POP :)

Sherry4869's picture
Sherry4869 8 August, 2020 - 16:36

A request to learn English team : Hello, I am Sherry4869. I have request for an app. I think that this site is very helpful to learn English. This site works on website nicely. But when we use it on mobile, it’s difficult to use. Games, activities and videos are don’t works at mobile well. So I think it will be better if there is an app of learn English teens. By the way, we can learn it on mobile. Also, internet and computer is not available in anytime. On an app we can download our lesson. So it will be great if there is an free app of learn English teens. By the way, we can watch videos, do the activities, play games, do exercises, write or reply or like comments , read stories or articles and download lessons.
Sherry4869

zagrybast's picture
zagrybast 28 July, 2020 - 10:22

My hobbies are reading and writing a little stories. Usually I make it everyday. But now I prepare for uni, so this hobbies nearly left my daily routine, unfortunately.

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 27 May, 2020 - 06:33

I love to read novels. Especially "Percy Jackson" series and... the books which was written by Rick Riordan. I think I read them almost always. I love them!!!!!

TR790's picture
TR790 22 May, 2020 - 12:34

Hi, I am Tahmid. I'm from Bangladesh. My hobbies are playing football and reading story books. I also like listening to music.

starfire's picture
starfire 3 May, 2020 - 03:04

About my hobbies...
I have two hobbies, I usually play videogames and I ALWAYS listen to music from my phone, although i think the second one is more a part of my daily rutine.

Sharol's picture
Sharol 20 April, 2020 - 22:06

Hey I'm Tarek , I'm 30 .I'm Egyptian I live in Bogotá Colombia.
I'm Marred , normally I don't have time to do my hobbies but sometimes I go to the park with my wife she is pregnant by the way. and often I see football games every Sunday I am a big fan of Liverpool and my favorite player is more salah.

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20527x
Tina - Coordinator 21 April, 2020 - 08:49

Dear Sharol (Tarek),
Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but you mention that you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but as you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other.
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teens team)

HollyLove's picture
HollyLove 14 April, 2020 - 00:03

Hello! I ussually paint and draw when i'm bored, sometimes i like watch good movies too but i hardly ever go to the cinema to see them. Occasionally i try to learn to play the guitar, and everyday i listen some music made by this instrument.

magnus7u7's picture
magnus7u7 13 April, 2020 - 22:24

My name is Magnus, i live in Argentina, i am 16 years old, I usually exercise, play video games and take pictures, i also like going to the cinema but I never do that, i almost always do my homework and I like it

Lujan15's picture
Lujan15 13 April, 2020 - 15:43

Hi, i am lujan!
My favourite hobbie is cleaning and ordering i enjoy doing it and having my house always clean. My family usually ask me for help and im always happy to help them. I sweep my bedroom twice a day i order it three times a week i never have it disordered

igadepasou's picture
igadepasou 7 April, 2020 - 12:39

Hello, I'm Sacha.
I like playing football, video games and playing with my snakes.
I have two snakes (pythons).
I live in Réunion Island. I always play football after school and I play in a club twice a week.
We usually play a match at the weekend.
I sometimes play video games.
I hardly ever swim in the pool but my sister often does.
I never cook the dinner. I occasionally go to the cinema.

augustin's picture
augustin 2 April, 2020 - 14:37

Hi, my names is Augustin and I am 16. I live in Paris and I play tennis every Thursday evening at 8 pm. I love football too and I always watch to the competition like for instance the Champions Ligue. Furthermore, I very often go to parties and I love that. Sadly, because of the containment, all of these activities are canceled... That's so depressing.

beasam0109's picture
beasam0109 26 March, 2020 - 13:59

Hello I'm betarice, I don't have hobbies but in my free time I love listening to music and sometimes reading some books.
Reading makes me feel good and alienates me from the outside world

delucovich's picture
delucovich 25 March, 2020 - 18:09

i am argentinian , iam 15 i love Lewis Capaldi songs. i listen him every mornings. i train triathlon six times a week and i also like Reading books .

marchese's picture
marchese 23 March, 2020 - 08:30

Hi, I'm Alexandra, I'm 14 and I have some hobbies. I like to draw, I usually do it when I'm alone and sometimes at night. I also like listening to music and now, that we can't leave the house, I spend most of the day with headphones in my ears. I also like play volleyball, and I did it three times a week, but now I have stopped.

FedericoB8's picture
FedericoB8 22 March, 2020 - 11:31

Hi,
I am Federico, I have many hobbies, I like play football, for this reason I play in a football team in Turin, every week we have two training sessions and one match on Saturday or on Sunday.
Another hobby is playing with playStation, every day, if possible, I play for one hour.

Micheleanto's picture
Micheleanto 20 March, 2020 - 17:20

Hi
I’m Michele, i’m 14 and my hobbies are football, videogame and meet with friends.
I have football training 2 times a week, on Tuesday from 7.30pm to 9pm and on Friday from 7pm to 8.30pm.
Usually in the weekend i have the match in the afteroon.
I meet with friends 3 times a week, usually on Friday, on Saturday and on Sunday.
Sometimes i play videogames usually when it rains, or when i can’t meet with friends.

asiasantin's picture
asiasantin 20 March, 2020 - 15:06

Hi, my name is Asia, I am 16 years old and live in Italy. I have many hobbits but the one I'm most passionate about and definitely practicing box. I practice it six days a week for an hour. IT'S MY PASSION

ballerinichiara's picture
ballerinichiara 20 March, 2020 - 14:20

Hi! My name is Chiara and I leave in the north-west of Italy. I have got a lot of hobbies and I can't say which one is my favorite!
I often play the piano in the afternoon, in my free time I usually draw, read a book or cook with my cousin. In the weekend I sometimes make escursions in mountain all season with my family and friends!
I often do sports because I enjoy it!

BttChiara's picture
BttChiara 20 March, 2020 - 14:11

My hobbies are: writing, reading and acting. I love writing because I can tell something of myself to other people. I also love reading because it relax me after bad days. Finally I love acting because I meet my group of friends on Tuesday, that is a really bored day for me. I also like acting because it can help show people. I read a book twice a week and I often write a comment about it, too. I write on my free-time and I act at my theater club once a week ( on Tuesday, after school).

gattifederica's picture
gattifederica 20 March, 2020 - 12:51

Hi. I’m Federica, I’m 15, I live in Turin. My hobbies are listening to music, watching TV series , playing volleyball and cooking. I listen to music every day and I especially like trap, rap, reggaeton and pop music. I watching TV series every evening. I play volleyball three times a week and I, with my team, usually play matches at the weekend. I always cook cakes for my family at the weekend.

rrfalletto's picture
rrfalletto 20 March, 2020 - 12:44

Hi name is Rebecca and i'm 15, i'm from Italy. I lot of hobbies. One of this is cooking. I love making cake. Another hobbies is reading books. I love romantics books.
I like listening to music, my favourite kind is rap. One a week i go to the pool