Magazine topic:
Books

Eight novels to help you learn English

by :
EllenBlogger

One of the worst things I find about learning a language is the fact that it is vitally important to read books in your target language. I love reading, but I find it really hard to find the time to read because I usually like to read quickly and as a Literature student it is important for me to understand every word. I find it even harder to decide which books I am going to read, as I don’t want one that is too easy and boring, but neither do I want one which is too difficult and which demotivates me. I’ve compiled a list of a few books which aren’t too difficult but are enough to challenge you when you read in English.

1. Swallows and Amazons, Arthur Ransome
This is a book I read when I was 10 years old, from a local author who lives in the Lake District. It’s brilliant and explores the lives of four children as they adventure around Lake Coniston.

2. The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks
An amazing, heart-wrenching read!

3. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Set in a dystopian future, Katniss must fight to stay alive in a sadistic game show. There are three books in the series so if you enjoy the first one, there are another two to read and four films to watch too!

4. One Day, David Nicholls
A man and a woman meet at university, and the book follows their lives on the same date of every year.

5. The Fault in our Stars, John Green
A very real novel about two teenagers who fall in love while battling cancer. A major motion picture too!

6. Charlotte’s Web, E. B. White
A spider and a pig become firm friends!

7. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
This book is often studied in schools thanks to the hugely impacting themes it deals with, from racism to doing what is morally right.

8. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket
This book, again the first in the series, actually explains some of the more complicated words it uses. It shows three orphans and how they battle against their conniving uncle to get their money back!

Note from editor: The books on this list are the blogger's personal selection.

Have you found any books which have helped you learn English? Have you read any of the books on this list? Which is your favourite English novel?

Comments

Tolis5's picture
Tolis5 6 July, 2021 - 12:31

Hi dear ellenblogger!!I will definitely read the books you suggest!!What do u think of Chilling adventures of Sabrina?Have u read it?

jlol's picture
jlol 11 June, 2021 - 10:51

I haven't read any books on the list. I like to read about Harry Potter because it is fascinating and interesting.

WriterRafia120's picture
WriterRafia120 6 October, 2020 - 12:41

I haven't read any of book of this list, but I'll obviously read!!!!
My favorite English book is Jane Eyre. I also like Hans Brinker and Wuthering Heights..

pancha's picture
pancha 25 April, 2020 - 00:31

I would like read all the books for see that my skills in english be higher than are now
Att:Dana

NadiaP's picture
NadiaP 19 February, 2020 - 23:42

I would like to read "Sherlock Holmes, The Missing Cases" but they always have it booked in my high school library.

pancha's picture
pancha 25 April, 2020 - 00:35

Hi, i'm Dana
I expected that you got read this book and be more happy your life than it is now
I sayed because i really belive that your way of exppress your opinion it's really interesant
I would like know you better..
Bye , nice late and rest of stay in the house,xd

NadiaP's picture
NadiaP 19 February, 2020 - 23:35

Cool list! I am reading now a book they recommend as the best reading material for English students. It's Famous Quotes for Life and Happiness by Harold Stratford. I found it on a specialized list with the best novels for English learners.
I also want to read the official edition of the Blue Lagoon. There was a movie about that book and I loved it.

maryoma's picture
maryoma 23 April, 2018 - 20:46

I have a question, is it possible to post anything on LearnEnglish Teens page? and if yes...How? By the way, I've read some these books and as well as watching their movies. Anyway, Harry Potter is from the series that I really enjoy reading and watching, I recommend it for anyone who likes mystery and thrillers.

Kaughy74's picture
Kaughy74 13 February, 2019 - 10:44

Same man, but i also recomend everyone Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. togther with heroes of Olympus i'm a teen, 16 years and this books helped me to realize some things. And i highly recomend it to anyone who likes Greek and Roman mythologies that's all guys. actually... uh, no i'm not an englishman you see, just learned it by myself. But i don't know why, i just wanted to tell it now that's actually the end. correct me, please if there is some mistakes.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 24 April, 2018 - 08:40

Hi maryoma! Thanks for your message and your interest in writing for us. You're very welcome to write comments and interact with other users here using the comment feature. If you want to post your content as a blog, I'm afraid that's not possible. Our content is all written by our in-house team and we don't have any more positions for bloggers now. I'm looking forward to reading more of your comments though! Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)