Daisy has just had an interview for a summer job.

We use reported speech when we want to tell someone what someone said. We usually use a reporting verb (e.g. say, tell, ask, etc.) and then change the tense of what was actually said in direct speech.

So, direct speech is what someone actually says? Like 'I want to know about reported speech'?

Yes, and you report it with a reporting verb.

He said he wanted to know about reported speech.

I said, I want and you changed it to he wanted.

Exactly. Verbs in the present simple change to the past simple; the present continuous changes to the past continuous; the present perfect changes to the past perfect; can changes to could; will changes to would; etc.

She said she was having the interview at four o’clock.
(Direct speech: 'I’m having the interview at four o’clock.')
They said they’d phone later and let me know.
(Direct speech: 'We’ll phone later and let you know.')

OK, in that last example, you changed you to me too.

Yes, apart from changing the tense of the verb, you also have to think about changing other things, like pronouns and adverbs of time and place.

'We went yesterday.'  > She said they had been the day before.
'I’ll come tomorrow.' > He said he’d come the next day.

I see, but what if you’re reporting something on the same day, like 'We went yesterday'?

Well, then you would leave the time reference as 'yesterday'. You have to use your common sense. For example, if someone is saying something which is true now or always, you wouldn’t change the tense.

'Dogs can’t eat chocolate.' > She said that dogs can’t eat chocolate.
'My hair grows really slowly.' > He told me that his hair grows really slowly.

What about reporting questions?

We often use ask + if/whether, then change the tenses as with statements. In reported questions we don’t use question forms after the reporting verb.

'Do you have any experience working with people?'
They asked if I had any experience working with people.
'What acting have you done?'
They asked me what acting I had done.

Is there anything else I need to know about reported speech?

One thing that sometimes causes problems is imperative sentences.

You mean like 'Sit down, please' or 'Don’t go!'?

Exactly. Sentences that start with a verb in direct speech need a to + infinitive in reported speech.

She told him to be good. (Direct speech: 'Be good!')
He told them not to forget. (Direct speech: 'Please don’t forget.')

OK. Can I also say 'He asked me to sit down'?

Yes. You could say 'He told me to …' or 'He asked me to …' depending on how it was said.

OK, I see. Are there any more reporting verbs?

Yes, there are lots of other reporting verbs like promise, remind, warn, advise, recommend, encourage which you can choose, depending on the situation. But say, tell and ask are the most common.

Great. I understand! My teacher said reported speech was difficult.

And I told you not to worry!

What was the most memorable conversation you had yesterday? Who were you talking to and what did they say to you?

Comments

21110959's picture
21110959 1 May, 2020 - 19:38

one week ago i had a conversation whit my friend juanita. she asked me if i had complete my homework of history i answered yes im complete my homework,she asked me if i could help her? and i answered yes im could help finally i help my friend

edson's picture
edson 1 May, 2020 - 19:00

the other day Iwas really sad in that moment a friend como and told me : hey¡ smile because you're never fully dressed with out a smile and since that day I always try to smile to the live

23130047's picture
23130047 1 May, 2020 - 17:05

yesterday I talked with my father about my sister. he said: you remember this day when your sister run so fast and broke a window and I answer, yes dad I remember, was so funny because of my mom nag my sister for that ooooh, that was funniest of that day

21110496's picture
21110496 1 May, 2020 - 00:26

Yesterday during the afternoon I was talking with my friend Natalia about what do we did in these days, she said that she had done homework during these days, and I said that I had done homework to, but a day before I saw a hawk trapping a pigeon.

JoseAngelGR's picture
JoseAngelGR 30 April, 2020 - 22:27

Yesterday I had a conversatoin with my cousin about which team is the best world. I replied that the best team is Real Madrid, for having more Champions League matches, he said he was wrong, since the best current team is Barcelona for having a better lineup, so we decided that it is worth more titles than a team

31170217's picture
31170217 30 April, 2020 - 21:59

yesterday I helped my friend with one of his doubts and it was the only conversation of the whole day

randomuser's picture
randomuser 30 April, 2020 - 21:58

Yesterday I was doing homework, when then my brother arrives and tells me that he needs help quickly, so I asked him what was happening, that's when my brother explained to me that a little before that moment, he had looked for food in the kitchen, I quickly interrupted him and asked him what was happening, he began to question him about why he needed my help since everything sounded good at the moment, then he told me that while he was looking for food, he had accidentally thrown olive oil, but that Fortunately mom was outside since she had gone out to buy things for the cupboard, so I told my brother that I would help him but hurry up, he asked me to cover it as he went out to buy a new oil, everything was going well , but then my brother returned more or less 2 minutes after what we talked about ... it was because he had seen my mom with the parked car taking out the shopping bags; it was fun: D

Carolina_alvarez's picture
Carolina_alvarez 30 April, 2020 - 21:15

I had this conversation with my friend last night, she told me that she would come with me to choose my XV yearold dress, and my mom told me that if we could both go to choose it, that is, my friend and I, my friend told me that in that At that moment his mom had given him permission to go with me.
My friend and I were very happy about the news they gave us.

Daanyy's picture
Daanyy 30 April, 2020 - 21:04

Yesterday I had a conversation with My mom, I told her if I could dye my brown hair to pink, she told me she had never let me dye my hair of that color, and I told her if I could claryfi my hair color more, so she told me she was going to think about it when the quarantine is over

AbigailRod's picture
AbigailRod 30 April, 2020 - 20:00

Yesterday I had a conversation with My mom, she told me that she had wanted to cook and sell cakes, and I told her that it was a good idea, so My mom told me that she would tell all the members of our family to help us.

21110116's picture
21110116 30 April, 2020 - 19:40

Today I asked my brothers what conversation I could put up for this English exercise, I told them to tell me about a conversation I had, my older brother replied that he had conversations with his friends, but I told him that a conversation of mine, at that time the I was talking to his friend on the phone, he said "había una vez...truz", then my younger brother says he could get something out of a movie or series and my older brother said he could even put the conversation we were having and I did that

31170689's picture
31170689 30 April, 2020 - 17:59

I think that the most for all the convesation that I do yesterdy was with my family. My mom said us that we have to prepare the table puting some of plate, glasses ad more.
My brother and my prepare the water of lemon do it so fast. Then i put a movie to see later to eat

sebastianmolina's picture
sebastianmolina 30 April, 2020 - 16:55

One day outside a restaurant, there was a Labrador Retriever and I wanted to pet him. I asked my parents if I could catch him and they answered yes. Then I start to approach with fear and when I want to caress him he bites me.

SebastianOR's picture
SebastianOR 30 April, 2020 - 16:42

My most interesting conversation that i had, it was the one i had the last week with a friend.
We are talking about what we wanted to be in the future, he said that he would be an a famous doctor. And then we change the topic form the conversation to favorite movies and he said that he was a great fan from star wars movies. And that was it

31170564's picture
31170564 30 April, 2020 - 10:14

Yesterday, I had a little conversation with my neighbor, which was about all the homework they had left her for this week. She told me that the subject that was more difficult for her was chemistry, because they let her do many tests of things that they still didn't see online classes. I told her I also had a lot of homework and trying to deliver it on time ... that's all

student190722APS's picture
student190722APS 30 April, 2020 - 02:16

Yesterday i had a conversation with my friend Pedro and he told me to go out with him and other guys to a park, and to go on a bicycle, and I said yes, and he told me to put me a mask, for all this from the covid, and then I took the mask and I went, and when we saw that there was nobody in the park, and that was it.

DB044's picture
DB044 30 April, 2020 - 02:06

Yesterday, I had a conversation with my father about what happens at work since he is a doctor. He told me that we he leaves home, he finds all the comercial centers closed and he cant take the bus because drivers dont allow doctors to enter. He told me that he needs to drive his car to his work and wear some special uniforms at the hospital. While my parents gone to work at the hospitals, i taked care of my two littles brothers until they arrive at night.

JuliaVargas's picture
JuliaVargas 30 April, 2020 - 01:35

Yesterday I was talking with a friend… she told me that she didn`t understand something about the homework and asked me if i could help her; i tried to help her and after a long time she finally understand, then, we talked about a movie we have seen; she explains me that it was her favourite movie

24140052's picture
24140052 30 April, 2020 - 01:04

Yesterday I have a conversation with my fathers about children's series I watched as a child we were laughing and remembering the old moments we spent as a family

KGS31170423's picture
KGS31170423 29 April, 2020 - 22:42

Wednesday, April 29, 2020
well, 5 days ago i was talking with my best friend and she was told me that her boyfriend ignored her because he had been veryr rude, I had told her, that not even send him messages, because he was going to think that she depended on him, but since she is crybaby like me, well we are going to cry together because I was sencible.

MF_Benitez's picture
MF_Benitez 29 April, 2020 - 21:26

The other day playing chinese chekers with my dad he told me that instead of trying to won him I should concentrated in my own game, I told him that that didn´t had sense but in the next game I listened to him and I won, after that he told that is always better concentrade on what you do and not on what others do.

Emilio31170655's picture
Emilio31170655 29 April, 2020 - 21:02

One day im in the house of my uncles and my mom told me to go to the shop and buy a soda for my uncle. Then I was going to the shop and I told him that i want a soda of cherry, he asked me if I have the money to pay, I say yes but when I check my pants I dont have anything and I told him that i dont have money and he told me that i couldnt buy the soda and I go back to the house with anything but when I enter into the hause my uncle have already the soda.

31170192's picture
31170192 29 April, 2020 - 19:32

Yesterday I was in the kitchen when my brother told me that the Xbox was not working, he said that the control had a lot of sensitivity and the buttons didn't respond as usual, he asked me if I knew what to do, the first thing I tought was to disconnect the console but he told me that he had already done that, so I started searching it in the internet, but moments later he told me that he had discovered that the RB button was locked, so he unlocked it.

Ana3117's picture
Ana3117 29 April, 2020 - 18:19

A week ago, my sister had an anatomy exam, but she told me that it had been difficult for her to understand him and that she had not studied all that they were going to ask her, so she said that if she could help her exam ,at 7 in the morning, I was going to tell her the answer that she did not know and she told me that she had to get 15 out of 18 to be able to pass if she did not fail so help her and when they gave her score she got 16 out of 18.

student31170150's picture
student31170150 29 April, 2020 - 05:09

Yesterday I had a conversation with my brother about which premier league team is bigger? I replied that the biggest in England is Manchester United, for having more Premier League, he said he was wrong , since the best team in the premiere historically and actualemnte is Liverpool, for currently having 6 Champions League, so there should we give more weight to the national or international?

UrielHP's picture
UrielHP 27 April, 2020 - 22:38

The last day I was talking to a friend about the concert in a video game by Travis Scott, I told him that if we were going to see him and he told me that if it was not so late, why did he have to go to sleep early because he had a commitmment in the morning so we could see the concert and we had a great time that day

GaelGarnica3c's picture
GaelGarnica3c 23 April, 2020 - 20:03

I had this conversation with muy uncle, he told me youre coming with me to the ranch, AND un that day my father told me that if we could go yo the store, so my uncle told me that un that moment he had knocked the door but there was no answer AND my grandma that was un house told me that she hadnt heard the door so i get Condusef

Angel3e's picture
Angel3e 29 April, 2020 - 21:50

yesterday i had a conversation with my mother and he asked me if i want to see the big bang theory and i answered yes becaise i didnt have nothing to do and then we start to see the season 4 e 18 and i asked why sheldon is so inteligent but at the same time is stupid with the people and she said me because he is not sociable with people becaus when he was a kid he want to be a robot with zero felling and zero grace and i said actually have sens now

XimenaDiaz's picture
XimenaDiaz 27 April, 2020 - 01:04

Two days ago it was my grandmother's birthday but yesterday my mom told my aunt to throw her a surprise party, my aunt told her it was a great idea. That same day my grandmother told my mom that she was going to get to the house at two o'clock because the dentist had said her office had been cancelled, so my grandmother told her she would arrive for lunch, when my mom knew this, she told my aunts that at that hour she was going to arrive to make the surprise party. When my grandmother told my mom that she had come to the house, my mom told us all not to make any noise and that when she went up the stairs they would put the morning song. When my grandmother came in, she looked at us all and told us that this nice gift was not expected. We all enjoyed the party.

Lemonjuice777's picture
Lemonjuice777 27 April, 2020 - 20:00

One day ago, I was talking with my crush, talking about the Maserati cars, why? I really don't know why, the point is that I was not agree with the idea that everyone had "a Maserati is the best car ever made" that really get me angry, so I replay she that she could be wrong, so I gave her another point of view

My point of view is that, Maserati is not the unique brand that has done that kind of cars, and then I told her that it was a better one: "Aston Martin" why? For the simple fact that they had made cars with the best ever driving in a car in a great tourism, probably she hadn't hear about Aston Martin, but now at that moment, she had already met the brand, just for me, at the end I told her that she was like a Aston Martin a perfect masterpiece... I really love her