Listen to the radio interview about boy bands and do the exercises to practise and improve your listening skills.

Right-click on the link, and save the file.

Are One Direction just another formulaic boy band or do they have something special? Tell us what you think!

Comments

ryo_so's picture
ryo_so 7 September, 2021 - 20:55

I really enjoyed listening to this audio, personally it was a little bit hard to understand some words because of the British accent, but overall I think this kind the activities were we can listen to somenthing that we find interesting makes it easier to understand and we can improve our listening skill.

Valeria_'s picture
Valeria_ 4 September, 2021 - 05:40

I think boy bands are very varied and there are different concepts, although they are still similar in the basic concept that they are a group of attractive boys with vocal and dance skills, I don't know much about one direction but there are boy bands with a lot talent for example bts, since they have a lot of vocal and dancing talent, even though people often think that their popularity is only due to their physical attractiveness and many times they do not take time to listen to the songs and also many people believe that this types of groups are only for girls, although in many boy bands it is like that since they have a concept directed for girls because of their lyrics, but there are boy bands that handle different musical genres and concepts and I think that some stereotypes that are about the boy bands

Elpro202's picture
Elpro202 31 July, 2021 - 15:59

Yes, brilliant boys and managers but their music for me is horrible, horrible.
The lyrics say the same but with different words as same as reggaeton does.
Personally I don't like One Direction but I respect their music and fans.

huongvu's picture
huongvu 13 June, 2021 - 10:54

To be honest, I'm not clear about this. But I did see something special in their music, their songs. I have heard one of their most popular songs, "What makes you beautiful". The lyrics are fun and ear- catching. Our class once had a dance performance using this song on our high school graduation day and that was great.

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 25 February, 2021 - 06:10

Hello, everyone! Let me introduce myself. I am from Ukraine. I have never heard about One direction band. As a boy I am not attracted by boy bands. In my opinion they all look the same, although their music style vary. There is only one boy band I like. It's Il Divo. All the boys have beautiful voices and good looking appearance. They sing in different languages such as English, Italian and Spanish. The songs they sing are very famouse so the audiance can hear familiar melodies from the first moment of singing.

BibekSanjeev's picture
BibekSanjeev 20 July, 2020 - 17:46

I am not a fan of boy bands.... but one direction is not bad. I prefer the rap and singles more.

katsperino's picture
katsperino 13 May, 2020 - 16:13

i find boy bands highly annoying, you don't have to agree with me but just hear me out.
there just a big advertisement for a bunch of products. kids can't really realize what's going on, so when they see an ad that features someone they look up too, the instantly need it. I do have to admit that (sometimes), i lack the feature of realization. most of the time, their music is just about something like; girls, a product, more girls and love. some could say that it's just not my taste of music. I mean, what could I say? you're not wrong.....

samlopez's picture
samlopez 12 March, 2020 - 22:07

In my view, I feel that the boy bands are more attractive for girls; this takes this band as more famous to draw girl's attention. I know One Direction since 2010 that was the year they came out in the light and from that time I liked a lot and I began hear their music.

crisaviles's picture
crisaviles 12 March, 2020 - 22:05

For me the band has both because in one direction there are very attractive guys for most of the girls, this band has several fans and all the fans see something very special that the band has which is how united they are and good feelings what you put when composing a song.

juls's picture
juls 5 March, 2020 - 13:54

i've loved one direction since 2015, thanks to my best friend, who one day told me to listen to one of their songs. from that moment i became a big fan of their music. unfortunatly they decided to take a break, so now they sing as individual artists (even if they said that they'd return together in 2020). i really miss them.

Sarielna's picture
Sarielna 23 May, 2019 - 19:18

One Direction will always be a lengend of boy bands. And I love them a lot, still waiting for their comeback. Anyone else like me?

Ramisa_05's picture
Ramisa_05 13 April, 2019 - 19:40

I am a directioner .Really i love this band.They are not just a boyband.They r like a family.I hope one direction reunites soon.

smilemaria85's picture
smilemaria85 3 March, 2019 - 16:49

Of course they are great!! I grew up with them. They have a lot of great songs. Also their songs are perfect for singing in the car. I don't really like their fans. I am not a fan either. But the band and their songs are extremely AMAZING!!

Askar100's picture
Askar100 8 February, 2019 - 16:18

I listened to this audio many times, so I have to listen to One Direction song now. Girl Alana is talking about boys band so interesting. Informative audio!

ArmyJD's picture
ArmyJD 12 March, 2018 - 00:18

Well, I'm not a fan of One Direction but I like it. Their songs are good and it's pretty cool to practice my English as well. I totally agree with the podcast because social media has made lots of bands successful. I think that's a good strategy to start becoming famous. You know, most of the teenagers are always with the mobile phone and they know what happen in the world before that appears on TV. Nowadays, most of the bands have done that and they've succeed so well.

lowlaw's picture
lowlaw 6 January, 2018 - 16:04

ok.. do u have facebook acc sothat i can send u a pic of what appears to me when i try to play any track

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 8 January, 2018 - 08:16

Hi lowlaw,
We do have a LearnEnglish Teens Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LearnEnglishTeens.BritishCouncil/ but the best way to contact us is to use the Contact us button at the bottom of the website. Here's the link: https://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/contact
Please do send a screenshot and we'll try to help you with the problem.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)