Daisy is chatting to her brother Oliver, and his best mate Alfie, about her new boyfriend. Daisy and Oliver’s mum is working in Thailand this week.

We use the present simple to talk about repeated actions or events, permanent states or things which are always true. To find out more about the present simple, read and listen to the conversation below.

Can you give me some examples?

Yes, of course. We use the present simple to talk about things which are repeated every day, every week, every year, etc.

I usually get up at 7 o'clock.
During the week I have swimming practice on Mondays, I do taekwondo on Tuesdays and tennis on Thursdays.
We always go on holiday in the summer.

I see. And you use words for explaining more about the time too.

Yes, we often use adverbs of frequency sometimes, often, usually or other time expressions like on Mondays, twice a week or in the summer.

What about permanent states? What does that mean?

Permanent states are situations or feelings which are not temporary.

I like him a lot.
Sophie works as a travel writer.
They live in London.

We also use the present simple for general facts, for example when talking about science or geography.

Thailand is really hot at this time of year.
Snakes live on the ground, in trees and in water.

So what do I need to know about forming the present simple?

The main thing is that the third person singular forms end in -s or -es. That's for he, she or it.

He watches black and white films at his cinema club on Wednesdays.
He thinks chess is a sport!

OK, and the other forms don't end in -s  or -es?  I watch TV a lot. We think Coldplay are boring.

Correct!

What about questions and negatives?

For most verbs we use the present simple of the verb do/does + subject + infinitive without to to form questions.

Do you see him on Wednesdays then?
Does Jack like sports?

For negatives we use the subject + do/does + not + infinitive without to.

Daisy and Jack don't go out together much at the weekend.
I don't think Coldplay are boring.

To go back to the idea of permanent and temporary things, what about this sentence: Is your mum in Thailand this week? Isn't that temporary?

Yes, it is. That's a very good point. Normally we use the present simple for permanent states, and the present continuous for temporary states, but some verbs are thought of as State Verbs and they are not usually used in the continuous form.

And the verb to be is one of those verbs?

Exactly! So even though staying in Thailand is temporary, we use the present simple with the verb to be. Here's another example:

How's Daisy? Is she with you?

But that isn't the question form you just told me about! Where's the do?

Ah, no. I said 'for most verbs we use do in questions'. The verb to be is different and so are modal verbs like can. We'll look at the verb to be separately because it's different and very common.

What are the other state verbs?

We'll look at those when we look at the Present Continuous. Any more questions?

Yes, what about: The train leaves at 5 in the morning? Isn't that talking about an event in the future?

Yes, it is, but it's also a repeated event. This is sometimes called the 'timetable future'.

OK, I have a maths class in a minute, so I have to go.

Good use of the 'timetable future'! Bye!

Tell us about your typical day. Remember to use the present simple!

Comments

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 10:08

Hi arialmora19,

Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but it sounds like you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but if you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other.

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

Puchi's picture
Puchi 3 June, 2021 - 21:30

Every day I wake up at 7:30 a.m.
I feed my cat and my dog.
I meditate for 10 minutes.
my mom makes me breakfast.
I usually eat cereal with milk.
Then I take a bath.
Next, I prepare for my classes.
etc.

Flaca's picture
Flaca 3 June, 2021 - 20:43

I usually get up at 6:00 am, then I start cooking breakfast and lunch, then I get ready to take my classes online.

teenwolf's picture
teenwolf 3 June, 2021 - 20:36

I usually get up from Monday to Friday at 7:00 am and on weekends at 8:00 am. Normally on weekdays I have my virtual class schedule that begins at 8:00 am and ends at 14:00 pm. After that at 14:30 pm I leave my house to work, finishing my day around 23:00 pm, just at that time I arrive at my house and the first thing I do is take a bath and after that do the duties as far as possible, ending the day exhausted and tired until the next day the same routine returns. And the weekends are quieter days.

PameB's picture
PameB 3 June, 2021 - 20:27

I get up early in the morning for pray after go to my class of university. for the nigth go to mass every day.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 10:11

Hi PameB,

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

Chinaa's picture
Chinaa 3 June, 2021 - 20:14

I wake up on weekdays at 7o'clock, go to the bathroom, then I have breakfast, go to brush NY teeths, then I have my online classes from 8 o'clock to 2pm, after my classes I have Lunch with my family, then wash the distes, do my homework and finally go to take a shower, put my pajama and watch Netflix until I fall asleep

panda1a's picture
panda1a 3 June, 2021 - 20:09

hi i'm karem. my daily routine is to get up at 6 in the morning to have breakfast, do my activities and then go to work at the funeral home.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 10:12

Hi panda1a,

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

CameriUAE's picture
CameriUAE 3 June, 2021 - 20:09

I get up at 7 am to fed my cats cause they are so noisy when they're hungry and then I take a shower and prepared all to received my classes .At the afternoon when my classes end I have a lunch and star to do my homework . At the night I go to the gym to the 9pm , when I return I take a shower , eat a lot of fuit then fed my cats and brush my teeth to go to sleep

SameJF's picture
SameJF 3 June, 2021 - 20:08

I usually wake up at 7:00 am, but not on the weekends. Then I go to university classes, I have virtual classes, after finishing classes, lunch and from there I start to do my homework. In the afternoon I am entertaining in some activity but what I do most is read, or I am on the cell phone. Night is coming, having lunch, I brush my teeth and go to sleep.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 09:47

Hi SameJF,

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 09:45

Hi Yadiruae,

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 18 March, 2021 - 15:59

I usualy wake up at 8:00am, but not in the weekends. Then I normaly go to school, but we are in a pandemy so I stay at home and go take a walk. After that I have my online classes for more than 2 hours. When it's over I eat something, relax and use my cell phone, for sometimes 1 hour. Some days I have the afternoon free and sometimes I have classes. After 4:30pm I play fotball, then, when it's over I take a shower and do something else, watch a film, study, stay on my phone... Then I brush my teeth and go to bed.

Didi's picture
Didi 10 March, 2021 - 19:08

Durring this year of pandemy,i usually wake up at 8:30 am, then I walk with my brothers, after that I do my homework, then I lunch. In the afternoon. I sometimes have remote classes and sometimes play football or do some homework I still nead to finish. After dinner I play some mobile games then I go to sleep.

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 23 January, 2021 - 11:30

Everyday I wake up at 7 o'clock, tide my bed, do morning gymnastic, wash my face, brush my teeth, drink a glass of warm water, take a shower, put on my school uniform, have my breakfast and go to school. After the classes I come back home, do my homework, walk my puppy, have dinner with my family, learn LearnEnglish Teens, watch anime, talk to my mates online, have a shower, brush my teeth and wash my face again, talk to my girlfriend and go to bed. You know! It's just like that! :)