Is there a special day for jokes and tricks in your country? Do you like playing tricks on people? If you’re ever in the UK on 1 April, you’d better watch out!

When and what is April Fool’s Day?

April Fool’s Day is on 1 April. It’s the custom in the UK to play a trick or a joke on someone on this day. If the person falls for the joke, then they are called an ‘April Fool’. In fact, it’s only half a day because April Fool’s Day finishes at midday. No more jokes after lunchtime, please!

What kind of tricks do people play?

Here are some April Fool’s tricks from around the world:

• In the 1990s Burger King published an advert in the magazine USA Today offering new ‘Left-handed Whoppers’ (hamburgers) for the 32 million left-handed Americans! Thousands of customers ordered the new burger in the restaurants.
  • A zoo in Japan said that they had a giant penguin that was 165cm tall and weighed 80kg! In fact, it was a man dressed up in a penguin suit.
  • One year in the UK a children’s news programme said that scientists had invented a ‘Brain Band’. It was a coloured head band that you put on your head and it helped to make you more intelligent! In an on-line poll, 47 per cent of the children who heard the news wanted to buy a ‘brain band’!
  • In 1949 a radio presenter in New Zealand told listeners that there were millions of wasps coming to invade. He told viewers to wear their socks over their trousers and to put honey on their doors. Millions of listeners believed him!
  • In 1976 a very famous British astronomer told radio listeners that at 9.47 a.m. the earth was going to experience a feeling of less gravity. He said that Jupiter and Pluto would cross and if listeners jumped in the air at exactly 9.47 a.m. they would feel the sensation of having no gravity! Hundreds of listeners phoned the radio to say they had jumped and floated in the air!
  • Ikea announced that the shop had launched a dog highchair (highchairs are usually for babies!) named 'HUNDSTOL' (Swedish for dog chair). Google ‘IKEA dog high chair’ for more details.
  • The free London newspaper, Metro, came up with a novel idea to deal with the problem of litter on the underground (unfortunately it was only a joke). They said that the newspaper was now edible – ‘the only paper that you can eat after reading’.
  • A British newspaper announced that Portugal had ‘sold’ Cristiano Ronaldo, the footballer, to Spain for €160 million. Why? To try to clear its national debt. It was a joke, of course.

Do people actually like April Fool’s Day?

We asked some Brits this question. This is what they said:

I love April Fool’s Day. It can be really good fun. I love playing tricks on people and I don’t mind if people play tricks on me. It’s one day of the year you can be really silly and have a laugh and it’s OK. You have to be quite sensible for the other 364 days of the year, so I look forward to 1 April.
Malisa

I don’t like April Fool’s Day. It makes me a bit nervous. I keep thinking someone is about to play a trick on me. When 12 o’clock passes I feel quite relieved that it’s finished for another year!
Johnny

When I was at school, April Fool’s Day was always good fun. We played tricks on each other and sometimes on the teacher. In fact, one year one of the boys at school put a bucket of water on top of the door and when the chemistry teacher came in, he got very wet! It was funny, but the boy got in big trouble!
Phil

April Fool’s Day is a great idea. It’s easy to forget the actual date and I always believe everything I read in the newspapers or watch on the TV news. I usually believe the big national hoaxes and it always makes me laugh afterwards. It’s good to remind us that maybe we shouldn’t always believe everything we hear in the news.
Louise

April Fool’s Day is fun when you’re young. I remember putting a plastic fried egg on my dad’s plate for breakfast as a trick. He decided to cut it up and pretend to eat it! Now I think some of the tricks are a bit silly and people can be a bit cruel playing tricks on their ‘friends’!
Clare

I hate April Fool’s Day. Last year people at work changed the sugar for salt so we all put salt in our coffee! Then some joker in the office decided he wanted a day off and he did something to the computers so they wouldn’t work. It just wasn’t funny! I had lots to do and we all had to stop working and solve the problem.
Mark

So watch out this year on 1 April!

Do you have a day that is similar to April Fool's Day in your country? Tell us about it here.

Comments

Tolis5's picture
Tolis5 19 July, 2021 - 07:58

Here in Greece we have sth similar.On 1st April,we also trick the others,but for all day long.We call it April's 1st Day,and it's great fun!!

Cfvdv's picture
Cfvdv 9 June, 2021 - 15:00

Yes, in my country we have a day similar to April Fool's day. Here, we can do tricks on peoples after midday too, in the hole day! But in the last 2 years of April Fool's day I couldn't play a trick on anyone because of the quarantine...

Darque's picture
Darque 6 April, 2021 - 13:49

I think, it must be interesting. I’m not a joker, but sometimes I can do some tricks on my friends. And, actually, some of my friend thinking, I’m not a good joker… -_- It’s a little discourage.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 22 July, 2021 - 09:15

i know!! greece is a beautiful country, and santorini looks amazing! i'd love to go there:))

Tolis5's picture
Tolis5 31 July, 2021 - 16:05

You are absolutely right!You should definitely visit my country!It has many islands,amazing beaches and a very long history!
P.S.Santorini is really lovely!What about Indonesia?How is it?

hermione123's picture
hermione123 2 August, 2021 - 13:36

Yeah, greek history is really remarkable. Indonesia's pretty cool. We have so many awesome beaches, the most famous ones of course in Bali! And we got so many volcanoes and islands too. Fun fact: i heard no one actually knows the exact total of the islands! We also have so many languages and great foods too :)

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 25 June, 2020 - 10:09

We plays trick on the other people in April Fools Day too, but we play it all-day in Korea.

a695353's picture
a695353 2 April, 2020 - 20:22

In Greece, we also have this funny tradition on April Fool's day. We trick each other and we have lots of fun. I love to prank my family and friends but not to be pranked back. It is a great day!

Demonking73's picture
Demonking73 9 May, 2019 - 23:09

I dont have any day like April Fool's day.But in that day i just become more carefull about others so that i maynt be fool and i dont tricks on people because i dont want to break their believing about me.

Batgirl's picture
Batgirl 22 January, 2018 - 17:58

We do have such holiday in our country. It's also called April Fools' Day but it is not as widely spread as in the UK. Children and teens usually play triks on this holiday. There are also some shops with stuff for celebrating this day(fake food, pillows that make funny sounds etc.)

SLMT's picture
SLMT 31 October, 2017 - 03:10

In my country,Myanmar, April Fool’s Day is celebrated.Laat year, my friends and I tricked our teacher. We put small piece of paper under the mouse.When teacher came to her room and use her computer,it didn’t work anymore.She switch on and aff again and again as she thought her computer is broken. But I think our joke should not pass the limit.Sometimes,a simple joke can turn to someone’s deep scar in their heart.There’s a movie called “Night” in my country.This movie is about a girl’s revenge .A boy propose that girl on April Fool’s Day in front of many friends.After she accepted his proposal,her friends and that boy laughed loudly and said “April Fool’s Day”. The girl embrassed and planned to revenge.It’s just a movie but who knows .There may be many girls who became April Fool’s prey.

fay4's picture
fay4 18 September, 2017 - 15:51

we don't have an April Fool's day in Egypt because we laugh and joke all over the year .. not waiting for a specific day to laugh .. I think that English people made that day because they don't laugh a lot and all people noticed that so they made this day to save their face water XD *kidding*

serg83's picture
serg83 7 June, 2016 - 16:09

I live in Belarus. My country has got such a day. We play trick each other and it is fun.

gianggiang's picture
gianggiang 19 October, 2015 - 15:53

No, we don't have, but it seems that April fool's day is the day which my classmates tell the truth to each other???? ( For example, a teen boy will say to the girl that he likes: "I want to be your boyfriend." haha, Because he isn't brave enough to show his love in the other 364 days of the year. Of course if she refuses him, he won't be very ashamed and that saying becomes a joke.)
I had a very memorable April fool's day. My classmate gave me a piece of paper. Its content was " Who opened and read this piece of paper is an idiot" Yes! I really became a foolish girl in that day@

hermione123's picture
hermione123 19 July, 2021 - 10:47

I can't help but think that april fool's day is the right day to tell embarrassing truth now.

congduy2001's picture
congduy2001 4 July, 2015 - 05:13

My country doesn't celebrate April Fool's Day as fun as the America. But we still create lies and jokes on April 1st. Fortunately, my parents aren't punish me when I lie on that day.

Darbinizrade's picture
Darbinizrade 6 April, 2015 - 23:21

In Turkey,we play tricks on each other in April 1st,too. But it is not called "April's fool day",we simply call it "joke" or "tricking" day.And we have no limit , I mean we can play tricks during the whole day.I had a lot of fun while I was reading the article, all these jokes are so creative.But the only thing I can do is just adding some tootpaste between two biscuits :)

Silvermist's picture
19156x
Silvermist 3 April, 2015 - 12:11

This time April fool's day was great fro me at school. I didn't get managed to be the April fool and made the others get fooled. we also had a big April day fool's plan but unfortunately, we couldn't do it.

edupires's picture
edupires 1 April, 2015 - 01:07

It's a funny day in my country too. Usually some girls love to name that day "the men day" only to bore us.

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 14 February, 2015 - 15:30

Thae day is awesome and playing jokes and seeing their wird "Oh my god what happened to me" faces is really funny.I love that day and also love to be fooled sadly which happens everyday in my class