Oliver and Alfie are at home when Daisy and Amy arrive. Sophie is in Hammerfest in northern Norway.

We use adverbs of frequency – like sometimes or usually – to say how often we do things, or how often things happen.

I never have any problems with adverbs of frequency.

OK, let's see what you know. We use adverbs of frequency in this order, according to their meaning.

100%           0%
always usually/normally often sometimes occasionally hardly ever never

Are there any missing?

I think that’s most of them. You could include frequently, with usually. We use not very often too.

Very good, you’re right. These are the most common adverbs, although there are more.

They always hang out together.
The Northern Lights are usually green.
You normally see them best in September or March.
It’s often cloudy.

What do you notice about the position of the adverbs?

They are usually before the main verb, or between the auxiliary and the main verb. But they come after the verb to be.

Excellent! Can they also be at the beginning or the end of the sentence?

Yes, I think so. 'Sometimes I'm alone.' That sounds OK.

Yes, we can use some adverbs of frequency at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis.

Occasionally I meet her for a coffee.

We can use usually, often, sometimes and occasionally at the beginning of a sentence, and sometimes and often at the end. We use adverb expressions like a lot or not + (very) much after the main verb too.

She travels a lot.
He doesn’t study very much.

Be careful with never. It is already negative, so we can’t use it with not.

I never go to the supermarket with my mother.

I’ve just remembered some more expressions! What about once a week, twice a year, etc.?

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about those.

Take the medicine three times a day.
We usually go swimming twice a month.
You see them once in a lifetime, if you travel.

You see, I’m not always annoying.

OK, sorry. I’m not always right either. Usually, but not always!

What are your hobbies? How often do you do them?

Grammar:

Comments

Mangorian's picture
Mangorian 14 January, 2022 - 17:55

My Hobby is to Walk in nature and I usually go for a walk in nature. The Place where I live contains many mountains near me and they are around 1 KM from my house. At 5:00 PM I always take my way there to walk and these mountains contains many trees and has Greenary a lot, Whenever I come here my whole day tiredness, stress and anxiety gets off and after coming back to home I feel fresh and energetic and then I gets to my study with a happy mood and full concentration.

LOVE25's picture
LOVE25 8 November, 2021 - 05:26

What are your hobbies?
I like watch series on my cell phone.
I like to listen to music and dance.
I love go for a walk with my pets.

How often do you do them?
I usually watch series on weekends
I listen to music every day.
I go for a walk with my pets on Saturdays.

Elefteria_1105's picture
Elefteria_1105 5 November, 2021 - 19:25

My hobbies are writing, drawing, and video/photo editing. Given that, I don't have enough time I'm doing it hardly ever.

Shark32_'s picture
Shark32_ 28 October, 2021 - 18:11

I always watch movies or TV series on Netflix and listen to music.
I also cook for my parents every weekend and I often watch football matches or other sports on the TV.

Diva69's picture
Diva69 28 October, 2021 - 11:00

I do have some hobbies, I watch netflix series, I listen to music, I read some pages of my favourite book.

ilrxia's picture
ilrxia 28 October, 2021 - 11:00

My hobbies are reading and watching movies/tv series.
I almost always read books.
I watch movies and tv series every day, my favorite tv serie is “how to get away with murder”.
I hardly ever watch nba matches

Mar's picture
Mar 26 October, 2021 - 22:30

I watch horror movies every weekend with my brothers. I sometimes cook some desserts and I occasionally read books.

fanny's picture
fanny 12 August, 2021 - 23:37

I ocassionally watch tv shows like Grey´s Anatomy or Lucifer with my sister. I hardly ever plant a vegetbles or fruits. I have a spa day once a week.

Mamou1's picture
Mamou1 27 July, 2021 - 10:37

What are your hobbies? How often do you do them?
Actually I think my hobbies is waching TV because I usually do it but luckily I pass just 2hour on it. going to the cinema is what I rreally like and I often go to the cinema twice in a month actualy. but I'm not denying that I love sport if I'm not studying or wathing movies or doing some search online, I do sport, by the way swimming and running are my passion. I often swim once a week precisely. and finally what i adore the must is travelling I suppose it not a hobbie but I'm mentionning it. traveling is evrything I don't always do it because I can not travel alone but when I have the chance i won't hesitate.

sunblumel's picture
sunblumel 16 July, 2021 - 17:27

Hi there! I like reading books (I read them quite often), write my own drama fanfictions and poetry. I also facinating about psychology and cards tarot. Sometimes I try to practice on tarot readings.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 19 July, 2021 - 10:21

Psychology caught my attention. By learning how our brain and feeling works we can actually read someone's mine. One of my mom's closest friends is a Psychologist. She can know how someone feels by looking at his or her behaviours. It's so cool! Once i tried to learn it by myself using a book. i give up. It's kinda difficult. But i love to watch videos about body language (which i think have similarities and something to do with psychology)

FlowerQueen's picture
FlowerQueen 8 July, 2021 - 14:30

My hobbies are
reading, I read every day a book.
Inline skating, I usually skate every week, but only when the wheater is good.
meeting my friends, I meet my BFF every day in school and sometimes at home, I meet the other friends almost at the weekends.
drawing, I draw really often.
writing stories, I write sometimes every week, that I create.

liz15's picture
liz15 8 June, 2021 - 21:33

HI, On my free time I like to read books, I like to wash movies and series on netflix, I like to sleep very much, I usually go to the park and running, before I jumped the rope every day in the evening, but now only sometimes I jump the rope, I occasionaly go to the cinema, I study English every day, I often enjoy eating fast food, I never go to the gym.

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 9 March, 2021 - 16:37

My favorit hobby is doing snowboard, but i can only do it every two years. So in the meantime i play my gitar, and do some sports (othes hobbies of mine).

Ricky26's picture
Ricky26 5 February, 2021 - 08:06

Hi,my name is Rohan.my hobbies are cooking,reading,running,swimming,watch movies.i watch movie and cook once a week,i go to swimming 6 times a week in summers,i go to running three times a week,i usually read before sleep.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 1 January, 2021 - 00:28

Hi! my hobby is reading. my favorite books are Harry Potter novels, and Front Desk. And, I also love drawing.

mishi's picture
mishi 30 December, 2020 - 12:47

i have alot of hobbies but my favourite one is playing badminton and i practice it 5 days a week for half an hour.

toiyeuvietnam's picture
toiyeuvietnam 24 November, 2020 - 14:03

My hobbies are reading book and listening to music. I often read book in my free time and i often read about history, biology, and geography. And i often listen to music when i'm studying.

Bernardo_Boy's picture
Bernardo_Boy 11 November, 2020 - 15:29

I have no specific hobbies but, what I do is: workout three times a week and sometimes I cycle in nature and what I do quite often is listen to latin music. And so what is your hobbies?

11mo's picture
11mo 23 October, 2020 - 08:52

hello my name is Moses.My hobbies are playing basketball and swimming. I do them every weekend. I love to play basketball with my friends so much.

paradise_2006's picture
paradise_2006 4 September, 2020 - 19:54

hi, I'm Chamudi and i don't have a specific hobby. i love singing, dancing, reading and drawing portraits and listening to music. Plus I love learning different languages. I'm currently learning Korean, French, Japanese. I'm a huge potter-head <3 and Shadowhunter fan. and I'M IN LOVE WITH K POP :)