Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day in your country? In the UK it’s the most romantic day of the year!

February 14th is traditionally a celebration of love, so how do people in the UK mark the occasion?

Cards

Sending a Valentine’s card to a loved one is a custom that started more than a century ago. Couples give cards to each other, but it is also traditional to send an anonymous card to anyone you secretly love. This practice is particularly common in schools and can be a source of great amusement and embarrassment as everyone tries to work out who sent a card and who has a secret admirer! Valentine’s Day symbols on cards include hearts designs, doves, and the figure of the winged angel, Cupid.

Poems

The card might also feature a poem. Probably the most famous lines from a Valentine’s Day poem are:

Roses are red, violets are blue,
Honey is sweet, and so are you.

There are some ironic variations on this poem such as:

Roses are red, violets are blue,
You look like a monkey and smell like one too!

Mobile love

Millions of people use digital means of creating and sending Valentine’s Day greeting messages such as e-cards, social media posts or printable greeting cards. Texting your Valentine message is an easy (although maybe not very romantic!) option. Valentine’s Day text messages include:

• WUBMV – will you be my Valentine
  • xoxoxoxoxo – hugs and kisses
  • LUWAM<3 – love you with all my heart
  • ImRdy4Luv – I’m ready for love
  • :'-) – I’m so happy, I’m crying
  • ILUVU – I love you

Flowers and chocolates

As well as cards, February 14th is also a day for giving gifts. Traditionally, men give chocolates or flowers to their wives or girlfriends. There are lots of websites offering advice on which Valentine’s present to buy. Popular choices include red roses, a box of chocolates, romantic songs, a phone, jewellery, a photo frame or perfume.

Unusual gifts

Some people think that flowers and chocolates seem a little ordinary and so they look for a more unusual gift. For romantic people with plenty of cash, these gifts could include a helicopter flight, a balloon ride, the chance to test-drive a Ferrari or an all-day session at a health club.

Others, however, complain that Valentine’s Day is yet another opportunity for ever-increasing commercialism. For true romantics, the gift of love is enough. Valentine's Day is a popular day to either propose or get married – you’d never forget your wedding anniversary!

Valentine’s Day: love it or hate it?

We asked a few Brits about their views on Valentine’s Day and here’s what they said. Following the tradition of Valentine’s Day, all the comments below are anonymous.

Love it! I always send cards to my mates – and my boyfriend, of course.

I would prefer to go without it. I don’t want gifts or money or anything like that. Knowing that I’m appreciated and that I can make others happy is good enough for me.

I got a card last year – but I still don’t know who sent it. I haven’t got a girlfriend.

My mum sends me a card every year. It’s sort of sweet but I think I’m getting a bit old for that now.

It’s just really humiliating. I’ve never received a Valentine’s card in my life. A day to switch off my phone because I know I’m not going to get any messages.

My boyfriend sent me a text message last year on Valentine’s Day. I suppose that’s kind of romantic but I’d rather have a present or even a real card.

I sent an anonymous Valentine’s card to a boy in my class when I was younger. Then my brother told him it was from me. I was so embarrassed!

I’m single so it’s definitely irritating. It’s too commercial anyway.

If a girl likes me I don’t need to waste money sending her a card just because it’s a tradition.

Chocolates, roses, cards, presents. Bring it on! I love Valentine’s Day!

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day? If not, is there a similar day in your country?

Comments

Majla123's picture
Majla123 12 February, 2013 - 20:33

hellow everyone .. im from albania and here there is a valentine day in the same date , 14th february , im a teenager girl , and i like this day and this day doesnt mean just for the couples , it also is the love you have for your family , friends , not even for your boyfriend , but i like having anonymous cards in this day :)

Viga's picture
Viga 12 February, 2013 - 05:58

Well, I live in Russia. As for the Russians, we also celebrate this holiday on the 14th of February. For some people it`s a great holiday but for another it`s not. Every person chooses his own way of celebrating this holiday. But sending Valentines cards is the most popular. So you may send a card to everyone you like and want to show someone your love on such a special day. I suppose young people like this holiday much more than older ones. But it`s only my opinion. As for me I celebrate this holiday and like to send cards to my friends.

Music party 95's picture
Music party 95 12 February, 2013 - 05:57

People celebrate Valentine's Day in my country. It is a wonderful day!! I like it very much. In this day people usually present chocolates, toys, flowers and valentine cards each other. Valentine's Day is popular with young people. It is not nation holyday that's why older people don't like it but some of them celebrate it.

Lisa567's picture
Lisa567 12 February, 2013 - 05:57

I live in Russia. Actually, Valentine's Day is a very popular holiday among Russians, especially among teenagers. Boys and girls buy gifts to each other, for instance plush toys, flowers, chocolates and beautiful cards, etc. It's very nice to watch happy couples sitting in cafes(or cinemas) kissing and hugging.

Cosmo Myzrail Gorynych's picture
Cosmo Myzrail G... 12 February, 2013 - 05:43

Ahoy from Kamchatka!
We are from Russia and we do celebrate St. Valentine's day! As usual we celebrate it as British people do - we send cards, give roses and buy chocolate :) But in my view men send cards more often than women - a man should make a "first step towards love". Also I can say that this holiday is more popular among young people rather then adults. (To say truth English teachers make us to celebrate this occasion and to write cards although it isn't an official holiday at all ;D )

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 11 February, 2013 - 20:24

ALBANIANS CELEBRATE A LOT ST VALENTINE'S DAY. I THINK THAT IS THE ONLY DAY WHEN ALBANIANS ARE THE LOVEST PEOPLE IN THE UNIVERS. I DO NOT REALLY LIKE THIS DAY.

Gabby's picture
Gabby 10 February, 2013 - 12:23

Here in Brazil we don't celebrate Valentine's Day, but there is a special day just for boyfriends and girlfriends exchange presents and spend time together. It happens at 12th June.

Darina's picture
Darina 8 February, 2013 - 09:41

I live in Kazakhstan and here people don't celebrate Valentine's Day , but I with my friends celebrate this day. It;s such nice day ))

Mr Cheese's picture
1926x
Mr Cheese 8 February, 2013 - 09:16

I think Valentine's Day is a great day. It's the day of Love.
Personnally, I'm single and I didn't celebrated yet.
Maybe this year.

ingrida's picture
ingrida 7 February, 2013 - 20:11

HI !!! I live in Albania and Valentine's Day celebrated here but I'm not sure if it is like in different countries of the world. but i like this day

bugs bunny's picture
bugs bunny 7 February, 2013 - 14:47

In Greece we celebrate st.Valentines day too. But we are orthodox here so we celebrate it unofficialy. We have st. Yakinthos day in July... but very few people know it. I don 't like st Valentine 's day. Such romantic stuff reminds me I don 't have a girlfriend :(((

Demy's picture
Demy 14 February, 2013 - 14:46

Hi bugs bunny! I heard about this day!!! I am very glad that you remind me about it! I often visited Greece and I already miss this wonderful country! Maybe I will come soon... How is there now?
Please answer! I wait.........

Sabina's picture
Sabina 7 February, 2013 - 12:31

I live in Ukraine,and we here celebrate this day.
I love this day because,it's romantic.
I do a postcard and this day is a chance for use my imagination.In this day I give a present not only boyfriend,but and friend and teachers.In this day any be happy for a postcard.
My friends are very happy when I give him postcard made by myself.

merlin's picture
merlin 4 February, 2013 - 21:22

i am from albania and my country doesn t celebrate valentine s day as well as the others but has recently started to be celebrated by the young age .i think valentine day is very special

TeenGirlie's picture
TeenGirlie 4 February, 2013 - 14:11

I live in Ukraine, and people here also celebrate St. Valentin's Day, usually by giving cards, tiny presents, chocolate etc.

So glad to read this article, and to feel the atmosphere of a coming holiday! Waiting impatiently for it! <33

crystal_'s picture
crystal_ 31 January, 2013 - 09:32

I'm from China.Many young couple will celebrate this romantic festival.But no me,beacuse I'm a High school students so I was forbidden love. T- T. But happy to all couples.

AnnaK's picture
AnnaK 29 January, 2013 - 17:44

hello^^ I am from Ukraine. and we celebrate Valentine's day. We give valentine cards. Last year I got 101 valentine cards^_^

Ess96's picture
Ess96 29 January, 2013 - 12:31

In Egypt we celeberate valentine's day on 4 November but actually I don't believe in valentine's day if there are couple love each other , it should be all their days like valentine's day not one day only