Sophie has just arrived home after a work trip to the United States which turned into a nightmare.

Some verbs are irregular. Their past forms do not end in -ed.

So how do I know which verbs are regular and which are irregular?

You have to learn them!

Learn them from the list? Oh no!

It's not so bad. There aren't really so many verbs to learn and remember that English is much easier than many languages. The past forms don't change.

I took a taxi to the airport. (take → took)
That was when we spoke. (speak → spoke)
One person gave me his last bar of chocolate. (give → gave)

I see what you mean. I made, you made, he made, she made, it made, we made, they made!

Exactly! They're all the same. And the negatives are all formed with did + not + the infinitive without to. The question forms are very similar: did + subject pronoun + the infinitive without to.

What did you do all day in the airport?
Did you have enough food?
We didn't think you would get home in time for your birthday.

OK, you're right, that's not too bad. Are there any exceptions?

Yes the verb to be. The past form is was for I, he, she and it, but were for you, we and they.

It was horrible not being able to phone you two!
There wasn't any food. I was so hungry!
We were stuck in the airport.

So what about this verb list?

Right, here it is!

Present Past Simple Present Past Simple
be was / were begin began
break broke bring brought
steal stole swim swam
take took teach taught
tell told think thought
understand understood wake woke
wear wore win won
write wrote

Wow! OK, so how do I learn these verbs?

There are lots of things you can try:

• Make cards to test yourself – put the infinitive on one side and the past on the other.
  • Write sentences with different verbs in them. Include some negatives.
  • Make up stories and record yourself. The story could just be about what you did last weekend.
  • Do practice activities online. You can start by doing the ones below on this page!

OK, I'm going to start learning them now!

Have you ever been stuck in some terrible weather?

Comments

Baldbanana's picture
Baldbanana 11 July, 2022 - 14:43

No, I never got stuck in some terrible weather. Maybe I'm lucky, but we don't have any seriously dangerous weather in my region.

Dsas16's picture
Dsas16 21 June, 2022 - 20:38

No, i didn't or i just don't remember, but there was few time where i was outside and randomly started raining to much and had to hide somewhere till it stops.

Vaillamarmariaa's picture
Vaillamarmariaa 5 June, 2022 - 04:32

Yes, one day I was trapped in terrible weather. The day was rainy with thunder and lightning, there was no car to bring me home so I had to walk through the flooded street and the water was up to my waist.

KirV's picture
KirV 21 November, 2021 - 11:33

Yes, I have been stuck in terrible weather. One day my family and I went to Lake Baikal. We slept in a tent. On 5 day it started raining. We decided finishing our trip as was a bed wether, though we had to travel for 7 days.

Graceherrera's picture
Graceherrera 25 October, 2021 - 22:32

The activity is understandable as well as the explanation, I managed to understand better with this great support 5°A logística

GUADALUPESIXTOS's picture
GUADALUPESIXTOS 19 October, 2021 - 05:25

The grammar was easy to understand, so I could do what he requested, he concluded that this issue was clearer.

FlowerQueen's picture
FlowerQueen 24 June, 2021 - 14:26

I had to be stuck at home, but not because of the wheather, that was because of the Corona Virus last year.

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 16 March, 2021 - 15:55

Yes, once when I was doing snowboard with my dad and brothers, suddenly a really bad storm began. There was snow everywere, wind in our faces, we couldn't see a hand in front of us. It was awfully cold, but we were half way down, so we had to stop in the middle of that giant moutain together and waited for the storm to go away. When it passed and we got down the mountain we heard that the temperature was lower than -15 C°, that is 5 Fahrenheit! But then my mum bought us some hot chocolate and it was all over, just another story to tell.

Cfvdv's picture
Cfvdv 9 March, 2021 - 16:48

Yes, when I was a babby, I was in the car with my family in the mountains of Sierra Nevada. It was snowing really bad and our car began to slip and turn. We stopt in the nearest place, a restaurant, and waited there for about 4 hours until the snow stopped.

LULLABYCASTR23's picture
LULLABYCASTR23 27 February, 2021 - 10:03

Hello everyone, I want to ask you guys about this question exercise, why the answer like this "who met you at the airport?" not "who did you meet at the airport?" thank you! this question sentence I took from this exercise. I know there is a difference, but I just want to make sure of you guys who are English natives. Thanks for helping me explain this.

JoModerator's picture
JoModerator 1 March, 2021 - 09:07

Hi LULLABYCASTR23,

That's a good question. Have a look at this page from Cambridge dictionary - you'll see that 'meet' can have slightly different meanings.

'Who met you at the airport' = who waited at the airport for you to arrive?

'Who did you meet at the airport' = who did you see and talk to at the airport?

I hope that helps!

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 23 January, 2021 - 08:48

Yes. Once I've been stuck in the airport because of the weather. My flight was delayed an d I had to wait for a few hours near the boarding gate. I was not alone. There were my parents and my younger sister with me. During that time I wasn't boring as I had my phone and my tablet so I was learning English online.

11mo's picture
11mo 9 November, 2020 - 10:05

No, I have not. Because in terrible weather, I always at home. I live in Hong Kong where does not have terrible weather.

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 20 July, 2020 - 08:27

Fortunately, I don't. Only rain poured hard. But-nowdays-COVID 19 is bothering my trip.