Oliver and Alfie decide to enter a bike race.

We have different ways of talking about the future. We often use going to (+ infinitive), the present continuous (to be + -ing) or will (+ infinitive). The structure we use depends on the function of what we want to say, whether we are talking about arrangements, plans, predictions, etc..

I thought will was the future tense in English.

It’s one of the ways of talking about the future, but there are a few others. Let’s look at will to start with. We use will / won’t (= will not) + the infinitive for predictions about the future.

Oliver’ll be back soon.
We won’t be ready.
Do you think it’ll rain this afternoon?

We also use will when we decide something at the moment of speaking.

(The doorbell rings) I’ll get it.

So, you sometimes use the verb think before will?

Yes, that’s very common. We also use: don’t think, expect, be + sure.

I’m sure you’ll have a good time.

You said will is used for decisions made at the moment of speaking. What about decisions made before the moment of speaking?

Then we can use either the present continuous or going to (+ infinitive).

Amy’s coming round.
We’re going to watch a film – want to join us?
What are you doing this evening?

Is there a difference between them?

We use the present continuous more for arrangements with other people and be + going to + infinitive for intentions. Sometimes it’s important to choose the right structure, but often we could use either because many events are both arrangements and intentions.

Amy’s coming round. (= arrangement between Amy and Daisy)
Amy’s going to come round. (= Amy’s intention)
I’m going to clean my room tonight. (= intention)
I’m cleaning my room tonight. (not an arrangement)

So could I say 'I’m going to go to the cinema with Alex'?

Yes, that’s correct. But we usually avoid saying going to go, just because it doesn’t sound very elegant. We normally use the present continuous with go.

I’m going to the cinema with Alex.

And 'I will go to the cinema with Alex'?

No. We don’t use will for arrangements or intentions if the decision was made before the moment of speaking.

Oh, yes, you told me that before. Anything else?

Yes, there’s another use of going to. We use it for predictions too, especially when you can see something happening or about to happen.

Look out! You’re going to spill that coffee.

Can you use going to for other predictions?

Yes, sometimes both will and going to can be used.

I think the Green Party will win the election.
I think the Green Party are going to win the election.

OK, and one last thing! Is it correct to say, ‘When’s the race?’ That’s present simple, isn’t it?

Yes. You can use present simple for timetabled events.

My plane leaves at 4pm tomorrow.
The match starts at 8pm.

Phew! So sometimes you can use going to or the present continuous and sometimes you can use will or going to. And you can also use present simple for timetabled events. I’ll never understand the future!

What are your plans for this weekend?

Comments

Nayelli_Villalpando's picture
Nayelli_Villalpando 25 March, 2022 - 22:04

My plans for the weekend will be to finish all my tasks and projects that I have pending, and to party and go to a concert with my friends.

Evelyn_Rosario's picture
Evelyn_Rosario 25 March, 2022 - 05:30

My plans this week are to finish all my projects, deliver them in a timely manner, start studying for the two exams that I will do for the period and on Saturday to watch a movie with my family and eat popcorn or some button.

Daniela_Vazquez's picture
Daniela_Vazquez 24 March, 2022 - 09:20

My plans for this weekend are:
Attend my jazz class and go to a friend's XV years party.

strawberry123_'s picture
strawberry123_ 11 August, 2021 - 10:47

I am going to have birthday this weekend, but I don`t think it`ll be fine. I have so many things to do that day, that I think I won`t have time to celebrate it((

Mamou1's picture
Mamou1 15 July, 2021 - 10:22

What are your plans for this weekend?
This wekkend I'm going to visit my aunt and spend time with her and my nephew. So we will probably going to the pool, do some sports, and cook. What is sure i'm going to enjoy it .

summer78's picture
summer78 9 July, 2021 - 02:09

I'm going to finished my school homeworks tomorrow. And in weekend, i'm going to watch some movie or serie.

Cfvdv's picture
Cfvdv 1 April, 2021 - 16:48

My plans for this weekend is a barbecue with my family, i am going to the pool with my bothers too, and let my dogs walk into the garden. At night I will watch a movie with the hole family. So, because of the pandemic we cannot go out of our house...

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 29 March, 2021 - 20:13

I don't really like to do plans for the weekends, because it is when I do not have any obligations, I just let it teke me whereever it goes. But one thing is for sure, I can sleep a lot, and there is no problem with that, because it's weekend! But I also sometimes watch films, play outside with my brothers and dogs, play football, vidiogames.... all of that depending on my mood, sometimes I am too lazy or too agitaded.... so I don't really know what is going to happend, it's a mistery.

Cecilia28's picture
Cecilia28 27 March, 2021 - 01:50

I am going to celebrate my mother's birthday, maybe we will go to eat in the city and I will buy her a gift.

Didik's picture
Didik 22 March, 2021 - 21:47

I don't have any big plans for this weekend, but I'd like to have some barbecue. This is the only thing I can do now with the lokdown in my country.

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 27 January, 2021 - 08:48

In the morning I'm meeting with my girlfriend and we are going go shopping. After that we were planning to play some computer games and watch anime, she likes it a lot. By the way, she is going to teach me how to cook ginger cookies, she is really good at it. After my tummy will be full of her yummy cookies I am going to help her with her Chinese. She is having a test next week so it's very important to be prepared well. In the evening we are going to watch her favourite horror movie. I am a little bit scared, but I want she'll be happy, so I agreed with that idea)) These weekend I don't have to help my parents tidy up our house. I'll do it on Friday evening after school.

Andrii's picture
Andrii 4 November, 2020 - 19:04

I think I'm going to do my homework, tidy my room and play computer game. Maybe, I'll also meet my friend.

paradise_2006's picture
paradise_2006 4 September, 2020 - 20:25

I don't have any big plans for this weekend, though I'm planing to clean my cupboard coz it's awfully messed-up.
>.<

BttChiara's picture
BttChiara 2 April, 2020 - 20:59

This weekend I'm going to stay at home and I'm going to do all my homework(I have to stay at home because of quarantine... It's really sad!):"(

MatildePace's picture
MatildePace 2 April, 2020 - 15:49

I have no big plans for this weekend because I will be at home in quarantine. I think I will sleep, do my homework and be with my family.

Desy's picture
Desy 1 April, 2020 - 13:53

For this weekend I haven't got any plans, because I'm in the quarantine for the Corona Virus and I can't go out.

gattifederica's picture
gattifederica 31 March, 2020 - 20:41

This weekend I’m staying at home because of the Coronavirus. I’m studying, do my homework, watching films and TV series and cooking a chocolate cake. I’m chatting with my friends, I listening to music and reading a book. Absolutely, I’m tidying my room because it’s untidy.

caromoreira04's picture
caromoreira04 24 March, 2020 - 13:59

I don't have any big plans for this weekens. I'm going to make some cakes and watch some tv series. I hope I'll finish reading the book.

gio_cra2004's picture
gio_cra2004 24 March, 2020 - 13:48

In this period you cannot go out because there is an emergency, so on the weekend I will help my mother to make the cake for father's birthday who turns fifty years.