Food and restaurants

Do you like eating out? Check out these reviews of the trendiest places to eat and improve your reading skills.

Instructions

Do the preparation exercise first. Then do the other exercises.

Reading

Food and restaurants

Are you looking for somewhere special to go this weekend? Do you want to try something new? Check out one of these hot new restaurants.

Last Days of the Raj

A centrally located Indian restaurant, perfect for eating before or after the cinema or a show. In summer enjoy your meal in the beautiful garden. The most popular dishes are lamb and chicken cooked with mild, medium or hot spices. For brave customers there is extra hot!

A Taste of Tuscany

Whether you’d like a great value-for-money lunch or a relaxed evening meal in stylish surroundings, this is the place for you. The chefs have all been trained in Italy and they make both traditional and contemporary dishes. We recommend the pasta and seafood.

Your Local Caff

Remember when cafés served full English breakfasts – sausages, beans, fried bread, bacon and eggs – with a strong cup of tea? Well, this place still does and you can have your breakfast at any time you like during the day while you listen to your favourite tunes from the 1980s.

The Lemon Tree

This pretty restaurant serves healthy food that’s tasty too. Come in for a vegetarian snack at lunchtime or a great fruit smoothie or a cappuccino and a delicious piece of cake in the afternoon. Food is bought from local producers whenever possible.

Cheesy Bites

A restaurant that only serves cheese, but hundreds of cheeses from many countries and in lots of different forms. They serve reasonably priced lunches but dinner can be expensive. Lovely food and a very elegant dining room, looking onto an amazing flower garden.

Fast Best

Fast food doesn’t have to be junk food, as this café proves. Do you fancy a really good hamburger made with the best ingredients, or old-fashioned fish and chips fried to perfection, all on the table in super-quick time? Speed and quality are important here, and the prices aren’t bad either.

The Chocolate Box

The owner of this small café used to cook all kinds of food, but then she realised she preferred desserts to anything else. If you want meat or fish, don’t come here. They only do desserts! Lots of different kinds of sweets. Chocolate lovers will be excited by the range of chocolate cakes.

Musical Chairs

Have you noticed how music improves the taste of your food? This new restaurant has different types of live music every night except Sundays, and excellent food to go with it. Great fish dishes, steak and pizza. Monday is classic rock night, so see you there!

Which of these restaurants would you choose to go to? Why?

Topics
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.

Comments

Submitted by naulyfitri on Tue, 10/04/2022 - 01:47

I'm not a great cook, I'm not a great artist, but I love art, and I love food. So, my explorer is perfect !

Submitted by Exipial on Sun, 07/24/2022 - 19:02

I'd really like to visit Your Local Caff beacuse I have never been to any of this type of restaurant before. The 80's music vibes sounds great and also the menu looks really tasty. Next to mix my tastes with something sweet I'd go to The Chocolate Box. Hope this plan come true one day

Submitted by strawberry123_ on Wed, 06/29/2022 - 09:17

All this restaurants have such great descriptions, that I want to go to all of them... But if I had to choose, I`d go to Your Local Caff, because I`d never tried English breakfast, to Cheesy Bites and The Chocolate Box, because I like cheese and sweets so much

Submitted by 10AN615 on Tue, 06/07/2022 - 16:53

I would recommend the lemon tree because it is both delicious and healthy and has snacks and is made from local producers.

Submitted by 01Aras on Tue, 06/07/2022 - 10:30

I am very curious about Japanese cuisine. I would especially like to eat ramen

Submitted by aycauzz1 on Mon, 06/06/2022 - 16:21

I'm curious about Italian cuisine. Since it has famous dishes such as pizza, it also has dishes as good as pizza. I wonder about your tastes

Submitted by mejor1213 on Thu, 05/26/2022 - 23:26

I like the restaurant Tu café local, since they have breakfast all day long, it feels nice and we can listen to our favorite music while we enjoy the food. great I think this place.

Submitted by lucalvesilva on Sat, 05/21/2022 - 10:50

I could say that eating is one my favourite hobbies in life. I'm addicted in japanese and italian food. I may add that I'm not only good at eating, I have abilities for cooking as well. The type of food that I want eventually depends on my mood that day. I haven't gone to an indian restaurant yet but I would love to.

Submitted by TNO on Tue, 03/29/2022 - 19:17

There are several stunning restaurants to choose from one of them for me as I prefer all of them to pick out for the reasons that I suppose they are really great and magnificent to visit towards them. If so, first of all, I will select Your Local Caff for my breakfast as I love ingesting them at the start of my everyday life. As a side of health, I reckon these types of food is a balanced diet and can provide adequate components of biological molecules otherwise, various nutrients like proteins, carbohydrates, fats, fibres, vitamin and minerals. Second, I would pick Last Days of the Raj and A Taste of Tuscany since I also like eating Indian and Italian cuisines and spicy meals contained a lot of spices and seafood. For desserts and lunch , I would probably prefer The Lemon Tree to others, for this one can provide us with healthy food diets that are essential to maintain or sustain our lives to be fit.

Submitted by CunDaiWei on Wed, 02/09/2022 - 15:06

In the second test, there are only six questions. But it must have seven questions, right?
Profile picture for user JoModerator

Submitted by JoModerator on Thu, 02/10/2022 - 08:13

Hi CunDaiWei,

In the second game there are six questions, not seven.

We hope you enjoyed the activity!

Best wishes,

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

In reply to by CunDaiWei

Profile picture for user Elsa

Submitted by Elsa on Tue, 01/18/2022 - 13:27

I can surely say I will choose Last Days of the Raj as I enjoy eating so spicy foods. And the next for Fast Best since hamburger is my favorite one among fast foods. The Chocolate Box is the last one because chocolate is my comfort food. if Thun is here, chocolate must here. I love chocolate as much as I love myself.
Profile picture for user Darkside

Submitted by Darkside on Sat, 12/04/2021 - 13:55

First of all I'd choose The Lemon Tree because I love healthy dishes. But I love sweets too so then I'd go to The Chocolate Box. Actually I think Musical Chairs would be an interesting experience. Honestly I'd want to go everywhere, I generally just love food!

Submitted by dhadzikadunic on Tue, 11/30/2021 - 21:43

I would choose A Taste of Tuscany. I like Italian restaurants. The food is simple but very tasty.

Submitted by pinkpig on Wed, 11/10/2021 - 14:55

I would choose to go to Fast Best, because I like fast food and meat. Fast food restaurant is the best place to meet with my friends.
Profile picture for user oliacream

Submitted by oliacream on Wed, 11/10/2021 - 13:46

For me, I am a keen eater of italian food, especially pizza. If I had a chance, I'd eat "margarita" for dinner every day, but I'm afraid my mum minds. Obviously, I'd visit "A Taste of Tuscany" to sample delicious italian cuisine.

Submitted by mirrasab on Mon, 09/27/2021 - 14:29

i like all food, but i would like choose restaurant 'The Chocolate Box' , because i very like different sweets. if i have this caff in my city, i would go to there every day. i have never seen a restaurant like this, i want to try!

Submitted by armieK on Mon, 09/27/2021 - 14:07

All food is good!

Submitted by gamedragon on Sat, 09/11/2021 - 19:04

Which of these restaurants would you choose to go to? Why? I would choose a the last days of the Raj, because i like hot food so much, and not only Indian food, i like Chinese and Japanese food too.

Submitted by Vuquan on Tue, 08/10/2021 - 14:47

I love this lesson because i learn a lot of new words and food.

Submitted by StrawberryPocky on Tue, 07/27/2021 - 19:39

I would like to visit the "Your Local Caff", i've never tried English breakfasts and i would like to.

Submitted by armieK on Thu, 09/23/2021 - 02:53

I have tried English Breakfast before. It is very tasty. And it makes you feeling full for several hours.

In reply to by StrawberryPocky

Submitted by ItalianGoldenWind on Thu, 06/03/2021 - 08:20

I would love to eat some cheese, so I would love to go to Cheesy Bites. And that also make me think of some Italian dish as Italian cheese is the best. However, I just hope that they don't put too much pepper on my pizza like they always do at my place.

Submitted by Yosselin_ensfep on Thu, 03/04/2021 - 03:58

I preferred the dessert restaurant, because i like to eat sweets and i love chocolate it woud be my favorite restaurant.

Submitted by strawberry123_ on Wed, 06/29/2022 - 09:20

I totally agree with you, I also like sweets and chocolate so much

In reply to by Yosselin_ensfep

Submitted by MoralesD_ensfep on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 16:20

I would choose between Your Local Caff or Musical Chairs, because in both while you are eating you can listen to good music and their food service looks delicious.

Submitted by gamedragon on Sat, 09/11/2021 - 19:11

I like to listen to music when I eat, and I think, that food can be more delicious with music.

In reply to by MoralesD_ensfep

Submitted by Brianda_Ensfep on Sat, 02/27/2021 - 06:08

I prefer to go to the lemon tree restaurant because the food is healthy and tasty, also the food is bought from local producers.

Submitted by mirrasab on Mon, 09/27/2021 - 14:34

i like meat,but i would try to go to a vegetarian restaurant.

In reply to by Brianda_Ensfep

Submitted by JuanENSFEP on Thu, 02/25/2021 - 20:04

I prefer going to the restaurant Musical chairs because this is a good restaurant and this i can listen music and eat. I could go the Monday becose i like the classic rock and the pizza.
Profile picture for user Kostantinus

Submitted by Kostantinus on Tue, 01/19/2021 - 22:45

I think all these restaurants have their own great dishes. So I would like to visit all of them on different days. The most important thing is try to eat not too much per one time))

Submitted by nguyenthimyngoc on Thu, 12/17/2020 - 14:01

All these restaurant are amazing and has its own service characteristics. And for me,I'd like to go to the Chocolate Box restaurant. Firstly, I extremely like to eat sweets,especially chocolate. You know, my childhood nickname is "chocolate girl". Another reason, it is like my paradise. That mean, when I eat sweets, i feel happy and relaxed. All my tensions will disappear immediately. It sounds magical but real for me.

Submitted by 0779044675 on Mon, 12/14/2020 - 08:19

I like the music chair, it gives me unforgettable experiences, the music helps me eat better, my spirit is good, I can enjoy my meal fully

Submitted by nqtuyen19 on Sun, 12/06/2020 - 02:27

the food are very delicious and i want to try all!

Submitted by gamedragon on Sat, 09/11/2021 - 19:16

I think this is a good idea, because all food look like very tasty.

In reply to by nqtuyen19

Submitted by vyhoai61nna2 on Sun, 11/15/2020 - 15:36

These restaurants are all wonderful. However, for me, I would like to have meal at Musical Chairs because I love all kinds of music. The music ca make my meal much better, and my mood is more comfortable. I imagine the scene of enjoying the great food there and listening to the music, well, there's nothing left.

Submitted by tranthimyle on Sun, 10/25/2020 - 13:18

For me, I would like to go to all of these restaurants. Because I want to taste it all perfectly here.

Submitted by Vivi on Tue, 10/06/2020 - 03:56

For me, i really love spicy food. Therefore, i'd like to go to the Last Days of the Raj. Besides, i also want to try Indian food. It will be interesting

Submitted by haiduong on Thu, 10/01/2020 - 14:26

I'd love to go to the Chocolate Box. First of all, sweet things are my life. I'll eat chocolate and all things sweet for one consecutive week, if my mom let me. The second reason is that I'm crazy for cakes. The soft texture, the cream, the decorations,... all appeal to me. I mean, what can be more perfect than combining two of your favorite things in one dish, right?

Submitted by Jenny201 on Thu, 09/17/2020 - 03:38

As for me, I'd like to go to the Chocolate Box restaurant. Here are some reasons I want to go there. First of all, I have a sweet tooth and love all kinds of sweets especially chocolate. Sweets make me happy. Being happy is good for health as it helps to boost up positive thinking. Next, I've never been in such restaurants so I wanna enjoy the peaceful atmosphere at that place. It's perfect if we can both enjoy the wonderful dessert and listen to music.

Submitted by Vuquan on Tue, 08/18/2020 - 08:41

My favorite restaurant is "Fast Best" because i like the chef to make them fast.
Profile picture for user zagrybast

Submitted by zagrybast on Sun, 08/09/2020 - 08:44

Hmmm, I think I would go to «your local cafe” because I like English breakfast. But Fast Best sounds not bad too.

Submitted by Mamou1 on Thu, 07/30/2020 - 09:39

All these restaurant are amazing they give us many variety of meals so that it's interesting. However I think for change my hobbies I want to go to the Last Days of the Raj restaurant I really want to taste Indian food and even more I like spicy food so that's perfect

Submitted by Eng_learner on Wed, 06/17/2020 - 07:57

As for me, I'd like to go to the Chocolate Box restuarant becacuse I have a sweet tooth and adore chocolate. Also, I've never been in such resuarants and would like to try.

Submitted by pvhoang05 on Sat, 06/13/2020 - 14:20

I don't like eating at restaurant because my mom cooks great food
Profile picture for user Giovannichoi

Submitted by Giovannichoi on Fri, 06/05/2020 - 13:18

Let me see.. I will choose 'A Taste of Tuscany', because I love Italian food. I've been always wanting to eat Italian cuisine, for my parents had been studying in Italy. As I wrote in the other comments, Mom was in there for 14 years, and Dad was for 8 years. So I ate a lot of Italian food in my house such as pasta, steak, or salad. But I've never eaten or seen the real Italian course meal, different from my parents. Mom said most of dinner is continued in this order: salad-pizza/pasta/risotto-steak/grilled fish-dessert and coffee. And they eat panino, (which is well known for panini) or a piece of pizza, or a dish of pasta. For breakfast, caffe Italiano with cookie, or cappucino with brioche. Isn't it fantastic? I wonder how those Italians don't grow fat despite of their high-calorie diet. In my country, Korea, we live on bab, which is 'rice' in English, and gug, which is sort of soup, and banchan, which is side dish in foreign countries. I think it's not attractive like pizza or pasta or hamburgers or steak or... well, I bet you have an idea. So this is why I want to go and eat Italian food in 'A Taste of Tuscany'.
English courses near you