Sophie is in the Australian outback and not everything goes to plan.

We add question tags to the end of statements to turn them into questions. They are used in spoken language, especially when we want to check something is true, or invite people to agree with us.

So how do we form question tags?

We add a clause in the form of a question at the end of a sentence. If the main part of the sentence is positive we usually add a negative question tag.

It’s a bit early, isn’t it?

If the main part is negative, we usually add a positive question tag.

Mum isn’t in trouble, is she?

OK, that seems easy.

Yes, but you need to think about what verb to use in the tag. If there is an auxiliary, a modal verb or the verb to be in the main clause, we use that in the question tag.

You’re in a desert in the middle of Australia, aren’t you?

If there is another main verb, we use do in the correct form (as we would with questions and negatives).

I think she might be getting a bit old for this sort of travelling, don’t you?
We told you not to drive in the outback on your own, didn’t we?

OK, so the question tag refers to the subject of the main sentence.

Yes, very often, but sometimes it doesn’t.

I can’t imagine her doing anything else, can you?

Are there any exceptions?

There are a few. We use 'aren’t I' instead of the more logical 'amn’t I'.

I’m next in the queue, aren’t I?

Where is the stress in question tags?

It’s on the verb and the intonation is usually falling, unless the speaker isn’t sure about some kind of factual information, then it’s rising.

You’re from Beijing, aren’t you? (falling intonation = you’re fairly sure)
You’re from Beijing, aren’t you? (rising intonation = you’re not very sure and want the other person to confirm the information)

You use them a lot in conversation, don’t you?

Yes, we do. We use them a lot to try and involve other people in conversations.

So I’d better start using them more, hadn’t I?

Yep!

Other languages don't really have question tags, do they?

Comments

Ira1321's picture
Ira1321 29 November, 2021 - 12:09

I am from Russia,and so in our country we have these tag questions.Let them not be so used, but still we use them.

Cfvdv's picture
Cfvdv 6 April, 2021 - 20:14

Yes, in portuguese we use many times question tags, but we use more 'isn't it', when translated to portuguese. But in the other language that I speak, Dutch we never use question tags...

Didik's picture
Didik 1 April, 2021 - 19:04

I can speak two diferents leaguages, portuguese and dutch. I'm sure that portuguese has questions tag, but duth never use it, it is not even in the dutch grammar.

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 1 April, 2021 - 16:42

I can speak some other languages them my own, and in most of them there are question tags, like in spanish and portuguese, however in dutch they don't use those question tags. I think that the most known languages have question tags, but other ones do not acualy use it.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 1 January, 2021 - 00:18

I'm Indonesian. I can speak two languages, indonesian and javaneese (it's a regional languages). i think both of them have question tags.

Andrii's picture
Andrii 20 November, 2020 - 19:23

I speak Russian and Ukrainian languages and there are question tags in these languages. And I'm sure that there are lots of question tags in other languages, aren't they?

Stasiia_Ukr's picture
Stasiia_Ukr 21 October, 2020 - 11:23

Hi!
I'm from Ukraine and we have only one question tag. For example: You are a doctor, like that/yes?
Question tags are the easiest and logical grammer, aren't they? If you use them regulary, your speach will become more interesting and full. Good luck in learning English! ;)))))))

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 6 August, 2020 - 10:49

I'm Korean and I think there is sort of question tags. These means 'right?'. So, we say ' 'Those pizza was good. Wasn't those?'. But there is no grammer like question tag in Korean, so it's just the pharase which has similar meaning with English's question tag. It's a bit strange to say with transcription some sentences with question tags in Korean.

iloveenglish4's picture
iloveenglish4 3 July, 2020 - 14:24

Hello,
I'm from Poland and in my Polish language we actually do have such thing like question tags but it isn't very nice and formal when we use them. Also we don't have specific rules for these because it is only one phrase in all of the sentences. I can compare polish question tags to English "like" but at the end of the sentence after a comma. It's just a interlude.

gio_cra2004's picture
gio_cra2004 24 March, 2020 - 14:38

The question tag are words added at the end of the speech to affirm something; in our language this is not used except for some special cases such as in poems.

mmatildepontoni04's picture
mmatildepontoni04 24 March, 2020 - 13:39

In italian language we don't usually use questions tag.
It is sometimes used when a speaker is unsure about if something is right or not

empty's picture
empty 23 June, 2019 - 17:04

Hi everyone
In my mother tongue , Persian , for question tags , we say a same sentence as it is in English , but in Persian .

Youjiro's picture
Youjiro 2 February, 2019 - 11:31

Yes,We don't have Question tags.I talk with English speaker in the English class.They don't use Question tags so often.Question tags is not use in conversation isn't it?