You have to choose the correct option to fill the gap in a sentence. To do this well in an exam, follow our advice:
- Read the whole sentence with all options before you choose.
- When you choose an option, do you know why it is right? This can help you decide.
- When you choose an option, do you know why the other options are wrong? This can help you decide.
- Eliminate an option that you know is not correct.
- If you’re not sure which option to choose, use your instinct. Which option sounds better?
- If you don’t know the answer, guess. You may be right!
- Check your answers carefully when you finish.
- Options will often test you on similar or easily confused words, linking words, phrasal verbs, and collocations.
Do you have questions like this in your school exams?
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.