In this type of exam, you have to match the two words that go together.
- When there are two groups of words you put together one word from each group.
- Sometimes you make collocations, e.g. verb + noun: make + friends, do + your homework, etc.
- Sometimes you make compound nouns, e.g. extreme sports: snow + boarding, wind + surfing, mountain + biking, etc.
- Sometimes you put a verb or adjective with a preposition, e.g. listen + to, look + at, agree + with, good + at, interested + in, etc.
- Always start with the words you know go together.
- If you don’t know which words go together, guess. You may be right!
- Check your answers carefully when you finish.
What's the best way for you to learn new vocabulary?
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.