You have to write the correct word(s) to complete a text.
- Read the whole text. It’s important to understand what the text is about.
- Read the whole sentence before and after the gap.
- Before you look at the options do you know what type of word is missing? Is it a noun? A verb? A preposition? etc.
- Read the whole sentence with your word. Does your word make sense in the sentence?
- Check that your word is grammatically correct in the sentence.
- If you don’t know an answer, guess. You may be right!
- Check your answers carefully when you finish.
- Missing words are often auxiliary verbs, pronouns, relative pronouns, articles, quantifiers, prepositions, phrasal verbs, modals and linking words ...
Do you have to do this type of exercise in tests at school?
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.