You have to choose the word that is different from three or four words.
- Read all the words carefully.
- Find a connection before you choose the word which is different.
- If you don’t understand a word in the group, it may be connected to the other words. Don’t choose a word because you don’t understand it. Find a connection first.
- Sometimes you have to explain why it is different. Check the instructions.
- If you don’t know the word which is different, guess. You may be right!
- Check your answers carefully when you finish.
Are these question types easy for you? Tell us which is the odd word out in the exercise and why.
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.