Word cards are small cards to help you remember words. Making a set of word cards is an easy way to revise vocabulary.
Follow these steps to make word cards:
- On one side you write the word, the word stress and pronunciation and the type of word, e.g. noun, verb, etc.
- On the other side write a definition or a sentence with the word in. You could also write a translation or draw a picture.
- Take the cards with you in your bag. When you have five minutes, e.g. on the bus, look at the word and try to remember the definition.
- Look at the other side of the card and check. Or you could read the definition and try to remember the word.
- If writing words on pieces of paper isn't for you, keep a word list on your computer or mobile phone. There are mobile apps available to help you improve your vocabulary.
Do you use mobile apps to help you learn vocabulary?
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.