If the listening test is about a topic that you know something about, you can use this information to help you.
- Look at the questions. What do you know about the topic? Anything you know about the topic, even in your own language, will help you.
- Look at the pictures or headings. What information do they give you about the topic?
- What vocabulary do you know about the topic? Predict which words might be in the listening.
- Any ideas you have before you listen in English, or even in your own language, will help you understand.
- Always look for clues to help you predict before you listen. Predict as much as possible and listen to confirm your predictions.
Predicting is really helpful when taking exams. Tell us your experiences. Does predicting help you?
Personal online tutoring
EnglishScore Tutors is the British Council’s one-to-one tutoring platform for 13- to 17-year-olds.