Books

The 15-minute reading challenge

59
JoR

My challenge for you is this: to read a book for 15 minutes every single day for a month.

Let me explain a bit, by telling you where the challenge came from. I have many things in common with my dad, like music taste and sense of humour, but sadly reading isn't one of them. I can happily spend a whole day curled up with a book, but my dad can't read a book for longer than about 5 minutes. He reads emails, websites and documents for work, but not books. He is a busy person, with a short attention span, so I think that sitting down to read for just 15 minutes a day is a good way to relax and to introduce him to reading. Giving yourself a goal or challenge is a good way to change a habit or achieve something, so why not try to create a new habit of reading?

My dad is by no means the only person who avoids books. I know lots of people would rather relax on their computers or in front of the TV. Everyone is different and has their own interests, but I think there are lots of benefits to reading, which screen-based activities (games, films, TV) don't have. 

Firstly, it's better for your eyes. Looking at screens can be very stressful for your eye muscles, and apparently you should avoid looking at screens for an hour before bed, to get a good night's sleep.

One thing I personally love about reading, is being transported to another world - I often forget the time or things that are going on around me! Reading is a great way to switch off before you go to bed, because you think more about the world of the book, rather than the real world and the problems you have during the day, so you can truly relax. I know you can be transported to a different world in a film or a TV show, but I think books do it better. While watching a film, I often talk to my flatmates, send texts, or paint my nails. A book, on the other hand, commands your full attention. 

I also love people. I am nosy, enjoy hearing what people are doing, and finding out what people think. Reading gives me the chance to get to know hundreds of new people! It also teaches you to see things from other people's point of view, and understand other people's decisions or opinions. With a book, you can hear everything a character is thinking or feeling - you really can be inside someone else's head!

So give it a go! Take 15 minutes when you're waking up, going to bed, eating lunch, or having a coffee. If you read a lot, why not try 15 minutes of an English book, or pass the challenge on to someone else? Good luck, and happy reading!

Will you accept Jo's 15-minute reading challenge? What book are you reading at the moment? 

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 21 June, 2017 - 17:53

I'll definitely accept the challenge. I'm currently reading Geronimo Stilton. I know it's childish, but that's one book that I've wanted to read for ages. So when I saw it in the library, I couldn't just control myself! Anyways, I'm in lack of good reads. I'll accept anything but romance. Anyone knows any good books to curl up with? :)))

marikami's picture
marikami 3 March, 2016 - 08:46

i love books. i started read very early. i read every day and i think this is fantastic. my favorite is Jane Eyre, crime and punishment

Forever_in__dream's picture
Forever_in__dream 31 January, 2016 - 18:34

I've accepted this challenge a long ago)) I've always loved reading books. My favorite book is The Master and Margarita by M. Bulgakov. I began to read books by foreign authors as well. The first book I read in English was Harry Potter. Now I am reading Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's so wonderful to read book and experience moments with books' characters.

aygul's picture
aygul 31 October, 2015 - 13:22

I love read book and I spend a lot of time read book. My favorite book series Percy Jackson and Olymps. The book is very good but a film bad at.Did you know????

bookworm19's picture
bookworm19 24 October, 2015 - 16:21

i love reading books i will spent most of my time in reading adventurous novels.now i am reading mountain of adventure by enid blyton

iva10 28 September, 2015 - 20:11

Yes i would except his challenge.It's not difficult tough and i've already read an english book.Actually two.I like to read i'm the only one from the eight grafe that reads books because i like to read.

HH's picture
HH 13 July, 2015 - 15:37

I love readings! I reading about a novel a day. I want to spend more time for reading, but I can't, because I also have to study a lot.

Actually, I don't need any one to motivate me to read books because I love reading books all the time and surely I'll accept JoR 15 minutes reading challenge and now-a-days I'm reading Jane Austen's Emma!

ann_gemini's picture
ann_gemini 1 December, 2014 - 14:43

The truth is that I've spent too much time on the Internet, which is not good. I don't have enough patience to keep a good habit such as go to bed earlier or read books. I think I utterly need to change my habits. Now I'm reading The faults in our stars, a universally popular book :)

Delirium's picture
Delirium 11 October, 2014 - 12:55

I think that is a great idea to read everyday. Actually I love books, so I read a lot. Currently I am reading Harry Potter and Prince Half Blood in Polish. But I'm going to start reading in English.

Anna24's picture
Anna24 28 September, 2014 - 11:37

I love books. I am reading Diary of Wimpy kid in English now. I would like to read Harry Potter in English because I´ve read it in my mother tongue and I like it so I would like to read it in original language.

HereWeGo's picture
HereWeGo 20 September, 2014 - 18:06

I have just finished 'The fault in our stars'. I think i got addicted to this book, it's wonderful. Now i am going to start reading 'The bridge on the Drina' by Ivo Andric. I think it's a wonderful book.

Raven's picture
Raven 7 August, 2014 - 19:29

Reading is an important part of my life. For me every new book it's like a new life. In my opinion it isn't difficult to find some minutes every day for reading, personally I spend a lot of hours every day by reading books.

sweettie_me's picture
sweettie_me 1 August, 2014 - 17:39

I really love this idea. I think that now children and teens don't pay attention to reading books better stay prisoners of their gadgets. If everybody will read a little every day we can change ourselves and chage the world, made it full of intersting companions and intullectual people. It's greate to remember that book are the world's most powerful force.

JuliaP's picture
JuliaP 24 June, 2014 - 19:52

I've got it!
Now I'm reading 'Shopaholic' by Sophie Kinsella in English to improve my skills.
Not so far I've read ' The picture of Dorian Grey' by Oskar Wylde.

White_fang's picture
White_fang 28 June, 2014 - 09:05

For me it is not a challenge. I love books! At the moment I am reading 'Dead soals' by Nikolai Gogol.

yuumj's picture
yuumj 14 June, 2014 - 15:22

This challenge is very interesting. I like read love novels because they are attractive but I will try read 15 minutes every day for a academic book from now.

Jairocuevas6's picture
Jairocuevas6 12 June, 2014 - 04:14

in my opinion say is very good reading, eventhough it takes you to another world, you gain a lot of knowledge, and this excellent that read 15 minutes a day, well that people do not like or have trouble reading I read an hour a day at night Actualemente'm reading a book called the bible of fernando trujillo Sanzy fallen is a very good book, I say that we must segir promoting reading

Gali_N89's picture
Gali_N89 5 June, 2014 - 02:08

In fact, this challenge had seen it on goodreads, single, this for people who do not read much, and as goodreads, is an application that uses people reading, the difference of the challenge was, how many pages you can read in 15 minutes avansas few words at the end, on what page you are, and that book is the first sentence of the page where you left off, and that challenge was very nice that way, you see more or less what kind of book is the reading of others.
If they are people who already read, I think estereto would be nice.

Helle's picture
Helle 25 May, 2014 - 12:21

Everyday I read books ! I adore romance and fantasy ! I can't spend one day without reading ...

Alexandra2003's picture
Alexandra2003 4 April, 2014 - 09:09

Hello anyone! Recently I read about this challenge an decided join to it. But I didn't know which book to choose. I have got some books in Englis but I've already read them in my native language many times so reading them again would be too borig for me...Finallly, with help from Internet I found That Book - "The Hobbit " by J.R.R. Tolkien - it's amazing! Good luck for me!

0721's picture
0721 21 March, 2014 - 12:36

I always love reading!I think books are my friends and I read books at weekends!Sometimes I go to bookshops to read or buy books.Once I read a book for two hours and then I wasn't feeling very well.So I want to tell everybody that don't read books for too long time!Because that's harmful for your health!

Ofeliya96's picture
Ofeliya96 21 March, 2014 - 10:50

I read English books every day longer 3 months. Thanks to this I was able to increase my vocabulary without tedious and boring memorization. At the moment I read Harry Potter. This book is an interesting, exciting and easy to read. I advise everyone to read it!:)

LeKunzDew's picture
LeKunzDew 15 March, 2014 - 01:46

Im so taking the challenge! Im reading Pretty Little liars books serie by Sara Shepard! The series has 14 books! so it'd be a really interesting challenge... Wondering how many time its gonna take me to read the wholee serie!!

Amazing's picture
Amazing 7 March, 2014 - 23:43

I always love books.
So one of my goals this year is to read at least 12 books in English.
I hope to accomplish.
I'm currently reading the book Elizabeth Darcy of Pemberley by Maggi J. Coxon.

readingskills's picture
readingskills 25 February, 2014 - 18:00

i read articles from internet and not read books , JOR tell me about readiing , because my reading is very poor and recomand me books or reading imrovements exercises......................please...............

JoR's picture
JoR 11 March, 2014 - 12:00

Well I'll start by saying, you're already improving your reading! Just by reading my blog and the others on here, as well as other websites and articles, you are gaining more skills and vocabulary.

A good exercise to improve your reading and writing at the same time, is to make notes on articles that interest you. I read at article about the European Union yesterday, and wrote down the main points on a piece of paper so I won't forget them. This makes you look at the text an extra time, and makes sure you understand it. If you read a book, you can do this at the end of the chapter too.

A good way to start reading in another language, is with a translation of something you already like. For example, have you read Harry Potter in your own language? You could try it in English - it would be easier, because you know the story. Do you have a favourite book in your own language? See if there is an English version of it.

I would personally recommend The Hunger Games - this is a really exciting series of 3 books, written for young people, and the English is not too difficult.

Good luck!

Harabeli Supersweet 21 February, 2014 - 18:18

Yes, I will, because I love reading books. Now I'm reading only school books. I have to study a lot. The last book I read is "Madam Bovary" by Flober. It's a classic one. Now I'm going to read a poetry book.

dzeni 20 February, 2014 - 13:15

Yes, I will accept this challenge. I am reading the book Stories from the north and south by Jack London. I have to read it for homework.

Natalija 19 February, 2014 - 11:46

I've been really busy these days, but I'm trying to read as much as possible. I'm really into books and I usually read more books at the same time. I like books so much and sometimes I can't choose them because I want them all. :) At the moment I'm reading Beloved by Tony Morrison, Tender is the night by Scot Fitzgerald and A woman in charge by Hillary Clinton.

son10293's picture
son10293 12 February, 2014 - 15:33

I'm reading the book: " I too had a love story". Everyday, i read this book before sleeping and after lunch. I think it's really a good way to make your soul become sentimental.

Hanna's picture
Hanna 4 February, 2014 - 19:16

I accept it too!!! I always read few books at the same time, so now I'll need for 15 minutes per 3 books. Books I currently read are "Pride and Prejudice" by J. Austin(in English), "1984" by George Orwell and Qaddafi's "Green book". I adore all of them and I will be reading every book at least for 15 minutes.

JoR's picture
JoR 5 February, 2014 - 11:39

It sounds like you have very political taste in books! I don't know much about the "Green Book", but "1984" is a very important book, I think - it's interesting and quite creepy, and makes you think a lot about society. "Pride and Prejudice" is a classic, and I wish you the best of luck with it. Austen writes beautifully, and it's fascinating to learn about the lives women used to lead.

Hanna's picture
Hanna 5 February, 2014 - 17:50

JoR, thanks for your comment) I dont' think I have political taste in books, but I heard so much about "1984" that I had to start to red it)) "Green book" is about true democracy and it's "must read" book, especially when there are so much protests and wars in the world. I like Austen's novels very much, they are wonderful and thoughts provoking and they make you act like actual lady.

justcricketforme 4 February, 2014 - 13:45

I accept! I read two ours everyday. Recently I have been reading "The White Horse of Zennor and other stories" by Michael Murgpurgo. I began reading "The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian" by C.S.Lewis.