Books

Wednesday, 9 May, 2018 - 11:20

Discover Britain through literature

by ElsaBlogger2017

In reality you're sitting in an armchair but in your mind you're in the depths of a faraway forbidden forest or perhaps in a cute little café in a side street with the Eiffel Tower on the distant skyline. Literature gives you the safety of travelling within the comforts of your own home, with a cup of tea in your hand and a cat sitting on your lap. I would like to take you on a journey through Great Britain. You can stay exactly where you are: no passport needed, no flight necessary, just an eagerness to explore. Through these novels you will be able to transport yourself and discover the beauty and the culture of Great Britain.

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jane Austen's romantic novel centres around the Bennet family during the 19th century and the importance of marriage and societal expectations. The style of the novel is mocking and the author uses exaggerated characters to make fun of the society.
Setting: Longbourn (a fictional town) in Hertfordshire
Author: English

Compare your imagination with the real thing and visit Chatsworth House in Derbyshire.

2. The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

Witches, wizards and wands. It's highly unlikely that you've managed to avoid hearing of Harry Potter, even if you are a muggle. It is a fantastic series of novels which makes you believe in magic and that anything is possible.
Setting: Hogwarts (fictional, or is it?!)
Author: Scottish

Make the magic come alive and visit: Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, Warner Bros Studios in Watford and Glenfinnan Viaduct.

3. Angus, thongs and full frontal snogging by Louise Rennison

The book presents the troubles of teenage girls: boys, boobs and being popular. It's a hilarious read and very relatable.
Setting: Brighton
Author: English

4. Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

One of the most famous detectives of all time, Sherlock Holmes, uses his high intelligence and observation skills to solve mysteries.
Setting: London
Author: Scottish
Are you a good enough detective to understand who Sherlock Holmes is? If not, visit 'The Real Sherlock Holmes Walking Tour' in Edinburgh.

5. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

'Please, sir, I want some more.' The novel follows Oliver's life as an orphan in London and the characters he meets while living on the streets.
Setting: London
Author: English

6. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

A teacher who uses her authority to influence and manipulate the pupils at an all girls school. Her teaching is unusual as they learn about love, beauty and dictatorship.
Setting: Edinburgh
Author: Scottish

7. How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

In the novel, Llewellyn writes about a Welsh family and their life living among a mining community. It gives the reader a really good representation of the struggles faced by those living in this sort of community.
Setting: South Wales
Author: English

Language level

Have you read any British books? What did you think?

Submitted by paradise_2006 on Fri, 09/11/2020 - 18:28

I'm someone who's really into reading, and I've read, (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling, Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens) These three books which were in the article. I'm a huge potter-head and a big fan of Mrs.Rowling, My favorite book from the series is Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban. I also like Little Women and Little men by Louisa May Alcott. i started reading Romeo and Juliet though i don't understand the language much.. >.

Submitted by chefa12 on Thu, 03/26/2020 - 01:14

I love this article because it makes me realize that just a mouthful of imagination is enough and everything becomes reality and through literature I can go to fantastic places with which I have always dreamed of knowing.

Submitted by chefa12 on Sun, 03/22/2020 - 05:57

Submitted by nick21 on Sat, 03/21/2020 - 16:32

This shows us the great importance that British literature has had thanks to its great exponents such as Sherlock Holmes and others who have brought it to its highest level.

Submitted by NadiaP on Wed, 02/19/2020 - 23:59

I found that one of the best ways to discover Great Britain is through Sherlock Holmes. I like his books a lot and they go to different cities and villages inside UK. I read a few of the stories I found in the official lists, but I still have to read some more.
Profile picture for user diyala

Submitted by diyala on Wed, 07/17/2019 - 13:15

Actually, I haven't read any books in English before neither British nor American, but when I read this text, I've become really excited to read English books especially "Pride and Prejudice" book.
Profile picture for user JGelv

Submitted by JGelv on Sat, 04/06/2019 - 15:20

I don't understand. Why Ulysses by James Joyce is here if this is a Irish novel and Ireland isn't a britain country?
Profile picture for user JoEditor

Submitted by JoEditor on Tue, 04/09/2019 - 13:36

Thanks a lot for your comment - you're right! We're going to review some of the older blog pages in Magazine soon and here we'll make the text more accurate. Well done for spotting this. 

Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team) 

In reply to by JGelv

Profile picture for user empty

Submitted by empty on Wed, 04/03/2019 - 12:18

I like a British book called sweet adventure
English courses near you