Books

The Hunger Games Trilogy - Plot Summary

21
Ciara Murray

It seems relevant after my last article on the Twilight Saga to draw attention to the latest craze of books now hitting the big screen: The Hunger Games. American author Suzanne Collins created the trilogy; ‘The Hunger Games’ (2008), ‘Catching Fire’ (2009) and ‘Mockingjay’ (2010) which gained so much success - having now been translated into 26 different languages - that this March saw the release of its first film.

‘The Hunger Games’ is set in our world, but in a post-apocalyptic time. The Capitol is the cruel Government of the twelve districts of Panem, which was once North America. As punishment for a revolution in the past, the Capitol created the Hunger Games. One boy and one girl (aged twelve to eighteen) are chosen from each district to fight on live television until only one child remains.

Our main character is Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers in the place of her younger sister Primrose for District Twelve. The male “tribute” for the district is Peeta Mellark, the son of a baker, who is in love with Katniss. During the Games, Katniss uses his love to her advantage, so that the wealthy audience can send her food and medicine.

All the citizens from districts four to twelve hate the Capitol because of the oppression, poverty and violence that they suffer. Katniss angers the Capitol during the Games when her new friend Rue from District Eleven is killed, and she shows compassion by laying flowers on her body. Furthermore, at the end of the Games, only Peeta and Katniss remain, so each refuses to kill the other. Instead, they agree to eat poisoned berries together so that there is no winner for the Capitol. In response, rather than being humiliated in front of the districts, the Capitol allow the couple to win together. The other districts watching the Games have now witnessed an act of rebellion, and they want more. Thus, a second revolution is about to be born…

‘Catching Fire’ is about the development of this revolution. The Capitol are furious at Katniss for starting a second rebellion, so they create a special version of the Hunger Games for all the previous victors, which means that she and Peeta must return. During these games, they create a team of victors, who manage to destroy the arena and escape to District Thirteen, which most people thought did not exist. However, the Capitol capture Peeta, and they destroy District Twelve.

‘Mockingjay’ tells the story of Katniss leading the revolution of the Capitol and President Snow. The rebels use her in the media as the symbol of their rebellion. They rescue Peeta, but he has been tortured and now he hates and fears Katniss. A team of rebels including Peeta and Katniss then go on a mission to assassinate President Snow in the Capitol, but Katniss’ sister Primrose is killed by a bomb. Katniss later discovers that the president of the rebels made this bomb, so she kills her own president in place of Snow. She then returns to her home, District Twelve, to try to recover with Peeta. At the end of the book we see them married with two children.

Personally, I thought the books were very thrilling, and I would definitely recommend them. However, it disturbs me to think that these games could be a possibility in the future. “Reality TV” is extremely popular in English speaking culture, and violent films and videogames have a lot of influence nowadays – it would not take much effort to combine these two together…

What do you think of the Hunger Games books?

Do you think such a terrible future could really happen?

WildChild's picture
WildChild 5 November, 2013 - 14:01

I think it could. Romans were treating their slaves like that. Rich people find their lives boring, because they don't know what to do with their money..They don't care about the poor people because they only think about themselves, and they are also greed and selfish.. There's exceptions, of course (they exist, thanks God), but the most of them are like that..
And, btw, I like Hunger Games very much! :)

happiness_di's picture
happiness_di 23 July, 2013 - 21:19

Well, actually I haven't read any book from this trilogy, because I prefer another books for example historian books, biography etc. :)
But if talk about future, I think that it can be like Terminator future, but not like Hunger Games future (I also haven't seen this films because I don't like it), I just read this article about plot of HG :)

Natalija 13 July, 2013 - 11:56

Well, I am not the biggest fan, and I actually used to think I will never read it, because I do not like that genre, but just yesterday, I was in a bookstore with my sister, and I saw a trilogy Hunger Games and something made me buy it. It was so temptingly, and I have just started to read it, and it seems to be interesting.

Rocker's picture
Rocker 13 June, 2013 - 23:55

I really like this books, I think the plot is very good, because it makes you think about the present and future world situation.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 13 March, 2013 - 14:42

, I really love The Hunger Games! <3 The books and movies! <3 I think that the way that our world goes this days, It's possible that this future It's going to happend some days, but not yet, probably in very long, long, future..

sergiovaneg's picture
sergiovaneg 2 March, 2013 - 16:36

-they are very ingenious because the writer could think this possibility of such a gross think, so it requires very much imagination. also, the books are very exciting and the psychological profiles of the characters are very well designed.
-yes, because it has happened before. not at this way, but the governments had used the opression and the violence to keep the control over the people.

chocolate1720's picture
chocolate1720 15 February, 2013 - 08:00

I love, I really love The Hunger Games! <3 The books and movies! <3 I think that the way that our world goes this days, It's possible that this future It's going to happend some days, but not yet, probably in very long, long, future... But still The HUnger Games are the best! <3

merlin's picture
merlin 10 February, 2013 - 18:02

i love the books . i think that in a very distant future maybe this will happen but i am not sure i think in this way because the whole is included by an economic crisis and this may happen in a very distant future.

Starlette Lady's picture
Starlette Lady 31 October, 2012 - 17:20

It was one of my friends that made me read this book. It's spectacular and I regret not reading it earlier. I greatly admire Suzanne Collins's writing talent. Her words seem to be alive... I feel like I'm running somewhere with Katniss, see Rue die, hide in the caves with Peeta...
Your brief description made me wanna read the other 2 books. I can't wait!

Ciara Murray's picture
Ciara Murray 18 July, 2012 - 17:07

Hi May! Have you seen the film? Robert Pattinson from Twilight is rumoured to play Finnick in the next films - what do you think?